+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Software Assurance: Why do I have a key for Expression Web? in Technical; So, my new school recently entered into a Microsoft Schools Agreement. Everything is largely as I expected, having used it ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts

Software Assurance: Why do I have a key for Expression Web?

So, my new school recently entered into a Microsoft Schools Agreement. Everything is largely as I expected, having used it a bit at my previous school (the NM took care of most of it there), but there is one thing puzzling me.

In my Volume License Product Keys section, I have a key for Expression Web. I didn't specifically order it. Every other key in the list is for a product I specifically ordered, and expected to be there. Did this come thrown in with something? I know Expression Studio comes with the High School MSDNAA that you get with a Schools Agreement, but I haven't even activated that benefit yet.

(For reference, the things I actually ordered were the Desktop School pack (Office, Windows, Core CALs), DPM, Exchange, and some Windows Server licences.)

Can anyone shed any light?

Thank Post
    Expression Web is the replacement for FrontPage so if you had that as part of your agreement the license gets automatically upgraded

3. Thanks to gshaw from:

ZeroHour (11th September 2009)

Thank Post
    We've got keys for all sorts that we don't use and don't have licenses for. I just ignore them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Expression Web is the replacement for FrontPage so if you had that as part of your agreement the license gets automatically upgraded
    Are you sure??? I seem to remember that we had to buy Expression when Front Page was dropped.

Is this perhaps tied in to the fact that Sharepoint Designer is now free; if you had bought that, then you get a free license for Expression - details on the MS web site http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sh...607611033.aspx

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Are you sure??? I seem to remember that we had to buy Expression when Front Page was dropped.

Is this perhaps tied in to the fact that Sharepoint Designer is now free; if you had bought that, then you get a free license for Expression - details on the MS web site http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sh...607611033.aspx
    When I renewed our Campus agreement I was looking to see if any apps could be dropped to save some pennies and asked about the FrontPage issue... if you use SharePoint Designer for SharePoint development then you don't need the extra license but if you want web development tools then it's the Expression Web License.

I guess what I mean with the upgrade is that if you had FrontPage licenses then it would just be updated to Expression Web, don't think there was any difference in the cost iirc ... maybe came across wrong but it's been a long week for me

May well be the Frontpage \ Expression Web was dropped on as part of what the supplier or MS see as a standard desktop software package?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread