+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Issues with .msg (outlook emails) as attachments... in Technical; We're getting an increasing number of emails from the council that contain outlook emails as attachments (i.e. it appears that ...
    Thank Post

Issues with .msg (outlook emails) as attachments...

We're getting an increasing number of emails from the council that contain outlook emails as attachments (i.e. it appears that they've dragged emails in to their new email as attachments).

We can't access these with out preferred email solution (Frog email).

What solutions do you have for this problem - and is there any reason it's becoming more common?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    winmail.dat ? - is an incompatibility error between OE and Outlook IIRC. A quick solution being to send in plain txt. Can't remember the actual fix :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    winmail.dat ? - is an incompatibility error between OE and Outlook IIRC. A quick solution being to send in plain txt. Can't remember the actual fix :P
    Unfortunately, we're the recipients, not the sender, so we don't have any control over how the sent message is formatted.

When I've forwarded emails from Outlook 2003, I don't get the original email as an attachment. The only way to get it as an attachment (like we receive from the council) is to create a new email, then drag and drop the email that's being "forwarded" into that email.

I've tried something called WMDecode that's meant to extract attachments from winmail.dat files, but it says it's not a valid file. I suspect that's because issues with winmail.dat are slightly different problems. (It sounds like "winmail.dat" is an attachment to the email - this is not the case here. We have "*.msg" files attached.)

Cheers,
    Duncan.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well it's a serious issue caused by the sender that they should be made aware of at least.

You have a winmail.dat file attached yes? Or is that inside a forwarded email??
    Last edited by mark; 12th September 2009 at 06:02 PM.

Thank Post
    If it's a .msg file, it's probably just a text file that can be clicked on and opened within notepad - or something more useful (whatever mail client you use).

We use Mdaemon server and due to a filter I have managed to setup for myself (partly accidently) it translates all the extra formatting as a index.msg (or similar) but leaves the plain text in the actual webmail window.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    If it's a .msg file, it's probably just a text file that can be clicked on and opened within notepad - or something more useful (whatever mail client you use).
    Unfortunately they often include attachments inside the attached emails... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    You have a winmail.dat file attached yes? Or is that inside a forwarded email??
    No, there's no winmail.dat file - just the .msg file attached. If I change the extension to .txt I can read the text part of the message, but there's usually some encoded attachements within the email too.

Thanks,
    Duncan.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread