+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, sophos anti virus and buffer over flow in Technical; Got local admin rights at work and logged a call with the IT department weeks ago and called them on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

sophos anti virus and buffer over flow

Got local admin rights at work and logged a call with the IT department weeks ago and called them on numerous occasions with no response and need something sorting out on my computer at work, I have to keep rebooting or at the very least restarting the explorer process if it allows me to and im getting fed up with it

Event viewer points to sophos causing the buffer over flows and was wondering if anyone knew of any fixes - short of un installing sophos and getting another av such as avira or something else obviously thats a grey area due to licensing and it being a work computer and the fact that they have set sophos up on my work computer because of the network management / network console you can use for sophos.

Any suggestions ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Got local admin rights at work and logged a call with the IT department weeks ago and called them on numerous occasions with no response and need something sorting out on my computer at work, I have to keep rebooting or at the very least restarting the explorer process if it allows me to and im getting fed up with it

Event viewer points to sophos causing the buffer over flows and was wondering if anyone knew of any fixes - short of un installing sophos and getting another av such as avira or something else obviously thats a grey area due to licensing and it being a work computer and the fact that they have set sophos up on my work computer because of the network management / network console you can use for sophos.

Any suggestions ?
    i suggest you leave it to the IT guys

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Firstly I assume since your local admin they have a certain amount of trust for you to run your own O/S to a point so assuming you think they would be fine about you solving the issue yourself there are a few things that could help you.
    Can you post the full event entry firstly and a bit more info about your install (assuming its xp but what sp etc) and then I will see if there is anything I spot.
    If your IT guys are approachable you could possibly point them to this thread anyway as a fyi/do you want to comment.
    It just depends on how well you get on with them and if you think they would appriate you solving it yourself.

Thank Post
    Depends what your IT dep't are like really, I'm in the same position. Like ZeroHour says:

"since your local admin they have a certain amount of trust for you to run your own O/S to a point"

I have Local Admin over my PC but messing around with something like this would be a big no no as far as my corporate IT support are concerned.

Essentially it is their PC and their chosen solution, tell them straight up -

"Look guys I could probably fix this myself but I respect the fact a networked Sophos is your chosen solution and don't want to interfere with it"

If you balls up fixing it they sure wont be happy and your local admin status will go out the window.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread