+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Home Anti-Virus? in Technical; I'm sure this question has been asked before but time does move on... What AV solution would you recommend? At ...
    Thank Post

Smile Home Anti-Virus?

I'm sure this question has been asked before but time does move on...

What AV solution would you recommend?

At the moment I'm using Nod32 v3 with Smart Security but I do feel that perhaps it's lagging behind on what it can and cannot detect.

It's an AV product that should include Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware - some kind of Spyware protection and perhaps a Firewall, but a Firewall itself isn't really necessary.

In terms of a total solution I'm currently running NOD alongside Spybot SD, Anti-Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware Plus - Anniversary Ed. Although I also find Ad-Aware a bit of a PITA at times.

So the real question is - what do you all run in terms of the following:

Anti-Virus
    Anti-Spyware
    Anti-Malware
    Firewall

Have I also missed something that I should be using?

Any info back would be appreciated

Az

t_h
    Thank Post
    I use Kaspersky AV + Windows Firewall. I just use the basic anti-virus protection because the other features tend to annoy me. I never bother with the superantispyware/malwarebytes/adaware etc I find it unnecessary.

Just as importantly is keeping your OS up to date, and also your software - particularly web browser, Flash player, Adobe reader, Office etc. You should also do your day-to-day tasks and web browsing in a standard user account (this is probably more important than antivirus itself.) If you're using Windows 7 or Vista IE8 in protected mode is a good option.

Generally the best paid-for AVs are Kaspersky and NOD32, the best free versions are Avira and Avast.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,471 Posts
    We use AVG and have never had an issue with a virus, even though we have three young people downloading goodness knows what and viewing things from goodness knows where.. (yes, I do have some control before you all leap on me)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I concur with the above. The all-in-one solutions are almost certainly best avoided.
    Avid user of Avast! here, along with monthly scans of Malwarebytes, with a large dose of common sense

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I'd recommend AVG 8.5, Malwarebytes and Windows Firewall/properly configured router. This should be suitable for most people.

Thank Post
    i'd recommend Avira Anti-vir (easy enough to disable the popup VIA GPO on XPPro), comodo firewall (and malwarebytes which you already have) for the free route.

i'd stay away from avg (the latest versions anyway) as it has very poor detection rates and slows down machines from past experience.

for the paid route, id suggest kaspersky internet security 2009/2010. You could buy an older version of KIS 2009 cheaper and upgrade it to 2010 for free. If you bank with barclays (online) you will probably be able to get it for free.

Thank Post
    Don't use any at home... touch wood no virus /malware / spyware issues in about 3 years.

Thank Post
    AVG Free Here

Not Letting the kids dload stuff leads to an easy life.

Thank Post
    I use Kaspersky internet security 2009, and was so impressed with the way it worked I brought the enterprise version for the school.

Just sits there and does it's job, no intrusive popups or reminders and doesn't noticeably slow the machine down either - I like it. of course it's not free like some of them, but it's worth buying.

If you want a free one, Avast! is getting pretty good reviews at the moment, I use that on an old Dell laptop I use every now and then and it seems to do it's job pretty well.

Mike.

Thank Post
    I used to use AVG but changed to Avira Anti-vir and have been very impressed it's picked up a few items coming in from the web and i've very light compared to other AV products.

Don't use any at home... touch wood no virus /malware / spyware issues in about 3 years.
    I take it you mean no active scanning but occasional system scan otherwise hpw would you know?

Thank Post
    Interesting stuff so far

My experience with NOD is this... as of 2.7.x it was great, it did all that was needed.
    Then I made the leap to 3, thinking 'Great, I can grab a firewall and not worry about running a seperate one... etc'.

I get the feeling now I'm paying for that mistake.

Don't get me wrong, I loved NOD at 2.7.x but 3.x (and I even tried 4.x) just don't seem to offer the same kind of speed and efficiency, not to mention the peace of mind that 2.7 offered.

I'm happy to run seperate AV, Firewall etc... no issues with doing that, just thought an 'all-in-one' solution would be more efficient and less memory hungry.

As for paying or free... meh I'm easy with either. If it's good stuff I don't mind paying as long as it does the job.

I'm doing some sniffing around myself and I'm slowly leaning toward Kaspersky or GDATA - both seem to have high scores in the 2008 tests and seem to be ranked in the top 10... but all that's a matter of perspective and opinion.

While I feel NOD is still good, it just doesn't seem to do as good a job as it used to do.

As for a firewall - I have a configured router that I feel pretty much keeps anything out. It has only one 'pinhole' in it which allows me to remote in from work if I need it, but to do that, I need to use remote management of the router... it's a Netgear DG834UK.

I do appreciate the info though, particularly the free/paid suggestions and choices.

FYI - I'm not running Vista or 7 (yet) - but I do plan to dual-boot with 7 in the future, so whatever I choose would have to work with that.

Any other suggestions or thoughts would be welcome - in terms of school... well I'm currently looking at Forefront (as we are licensed for it) and I'd rather try Forefront that go to CA eTrust 8.1 ITM

Cheers,

Az

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd never use the free products on a home PC any more. Ionce used AVG, but after picing up a nasty which AVG refused to even ackowlege I invested in Kaspersky Internet Security Suite and never looked back. Remeber, you get what you pay for, the free products often only give the illusion of security. Why do you thinkj that AVG have a paid for version? the free ones often come with a much older version of their scanning engines too. Besides:
    AV 2010 OEM x1 - Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 (v9) UK Edition 1 Year - 1 User - *OEM Edition - Scan.co.uk
    14459930 - Norton Internet Security Suite 2009 v16 1 User 1 year OEM - Scan.co.uk

At 9.19 for Kaspersky and 12.64 for Norton, it's not as if they are too expensive is it?

Thank Post
    We use NOD32 V2/V3 in school and it's pretty good, it seems to get very good reviews. The only problem is that i've read lots of reports of it blue screening server and causing other odd issues.

ESET Nod32 2009 - TopTenREVIEWS

@ Dos_Box

Ewww evil Norton i've lost count of the number of infected PC's i've removed that from and replaced with Avira Anti-vir or NOD32, the users usually see an instant improvement. Norton isn't even worth 10 IMO.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 7th September 2009 at 09:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I'd never use the free products on a home PC any more. Ionce used AVG, but after picing up a nasty which AVG refused to even ackowlege I invested in Kaspersky Internet Security Suite and never looked back. Remeber, you get what you pay for, the free products often only give the illusion of security. Why do you thinkj that AVG have a paid for version? the free ones often come with a much older version of their scanning engines too. Besides:
    AV 2010 OEM x1 - Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 (v9) UK Edition 1 Year - 1 User - *OEM Edition - Scan.co.uk
    14459930 - Norton Internet Security Suite 2009 v16 1 User 1 year OEM - Scan.co.uk

At 9.19 for Kaspersky and 12.64 for Norton, it's not as if they are too expensive is it?
    You make 2 very good points there.

It's not as if Kaspersky IS too expensive either.

Anyone have any thoughts/feelings about BitDefender 2010? It came in top at toptenreviews.com - closely followed by Kaspersky.

Az

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    12 for Norton is a dreadful waste of money. Thats 6 pints. Far more useful, and usually more effective. And if you're a lightweight, 6 pints will slow you down slightly less than Norton will your computer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast