+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Windows Thread, Strange Logon Program in Technical; Hi A very strange problems is happening .. When some users log on a dos box pops up asking them ...
  1. #1
    Grommit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Weston-super-Mare
    Posts
    1,335
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 54 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    25

    Strange Logon Program

    Hi

    A very strange problems is happening ..

    When some users log on a dos box pops up asking them for a logon and password for their home folder server ?

    when they bypass this their home folder is not mapped but other folders on thr same server are there

    nothing has changed on the files server

    any ideas why

  2. #2

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,345
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    My initial thought is permissions, but it's strange if it's only happening on a handful of machines. In your logon script, are you deleting the letter used to map home drives? Such as H:\ for example?

    Code:
    net use H: /delete /y
    If you are I'd recommend you remove this line from your logon script, as it does create more problems than good in my experience.

  3. #3
    Grommit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Weston-super-Mare
    Posts
    1,335
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 54 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    My initial thought is permissions, but it's strange if it's only happening on a handful of machines. In your logon script, are you deleting the letter used to map home drives? Such as H:\ for example?

    Code:
    net use H: /delete /y
    If you are I'd recommend you remove this line from your logon script, as it does create more problems than good in my experience.
    No we are not using the delete string..

    I thought it was just the shared Drives yet it seems that it is the unshared as well

  4. #4

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,345
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    I thought it was just the shared Drives yet it seems that it is the unshared as well
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. A folder must be shared to be mapped or create a network drive (however you want to phrase it). It's not possible to map a drive letter to a folder which isn't shared.

  5. #5
    tarquel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Powys, Mid-Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,740
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 45 Times in 35 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    I suppose one question to ask to get more of a clearer view is how do you get users to map their home drive [whether it be a network share mapped to a drive letter or not]?

    If you dont use a logon script, check in case somehow someone has been able to do this without your knowledge.

    Also, even if its only specific machines [or not], its worth checking the various "startup" locations on the local machine[s] to see if u can see anything that is there that shouldnt be.

    Cheers
    Nath.

  6. #6
    Grommit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Weston-super-Mare
    Posts
    1,335
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 54 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquel View Post
    I suppose one question to ask to get more of a clearer view is how do you get users to map their home drive [whether it be a network share mapped to a drive letter or not]?

    If you dont use a logon script, check in case somehow someone has been able to do this without your knowledge.

    Also, even if its only specific machines [or not], its worth checking the various "startup" locations on the local machine[s] to see if u can see anything that is there that shouldnt be.

    Cheers
    Nath.
    We use net use command in a bat script..

    just thinking about the shares tho.. as some people who are shared are having issues and some who are not have issues....

    neeed to investigate and tweek futher..

  7. #7
    tarquel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Powys, Mid-Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,740
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 45 Times in 35 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Sounds like a NTFS [or SHARE permission] has changed for some reason at the root level of the share [or a folder within] and thus the prompting possibly

    Nath.

  8. #8

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,345
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    Sounds like a NTFS [or SHARE permission] has changed for some reason at the root level of the share
    I agree, it'll be something along these lines. Users should have Full Control to their home areas. Windows complains a lot otherwise.

  9. #9
    Grommit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Weston-super-Mare
    Posts
    1,335
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 54 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I agree, it'll be something along these lines. Users should have Full Control to their home areas. Windows complains a lot otherwise.
    Yea the strange thing is that they can access their user area using the run and \\server\jfn ... yet it doesn't load on startup

  10. #10
    Grommit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Weston-super-Mare
    Posts
    1,335
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 54 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Yea the strange thing is that they can access their user area using the run and \\server\jfn ... yet it doesn't load on startup
    The other strange thisng is when in Security settings on the users home folder i select modify rights for owner creator the rights do not stick and are un ticked when I go back in

  11. #11
    ricki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,477
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 164 Times in 157 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    HI

    I know this is a shot in the dark but is the time correct on the machine and snyed up with the server. If the time or date is out by more that 5 mins kerberos will not work.

    Richard



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. AUP logon acceptance program
    By mark in forum Downloads
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12th May 2010, 09:15 PM
  2. XP Logon box strange colours
    By bigb3n in forum Windows
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19th March 2009, 04:08 PM
  3. Program security.
    By boomam in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24th January 2008, 09:46 AM
  4. Strange win 2k error - failure to logon.
    By Domino in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th July 2007, 02:36 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th December 2005, 11:20 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •