+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Strange Logon Program in Technical; Hi A very strange problems is happening .. When some users log on a dos box pops up asking them ...
    Thank Post

Strange Logon Program

Hi

A very strange problems is happening ..

When some users log on a dos box pops up asking them for a logon and password for their home folder server ?

when they bypass this their home folder is not mapped but other folders on thr same server are there

nothing has changed on the files server

any ideas why

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    My initial thought is permissions, but it's strange if it's only happening on a handful of machines. In your logon script, are you deleting the letter used to map home drives? Such as H:\ for example?

Code:
    net use H: /delete /y
    If you are I'd recommend you remove this line from your logon script, as it does create more problems than good in my experience.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    My initial thought is permissions, but it's strange if it's only happening on a handful of machines. In your logon script, are you deleting the letter used to map home drives? Such as H:\ for example?

Code:
    net use H: /delete /y
    If you are I'd recommend you remove this line from your logon script, as it does create more problems than good in my experience.
    No we are not using the delete string..

I thought it was just the shared Drives yet it seems that it is the unshared as well

Thank Post
    I thought it was just the shared Drives yet it seems that it is the unshared as well
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. A folder must be shared to be mapped or create a network drive (however you want to phrase it). It's not possible to map a drive letter to a folder which isn't shared.

Thank Post
    I suppose one question to ask to get more of a clearer view is how do you get users to map their home drive [whether it be a network share mapped to a drive letter or not]?

If you dont use a logon script, check in case somehow someone has been able to do this without your knowledge.

Also, even if its only specific machines [or not], its worth checking the various "startup" locations on the local machine[s] to see if u can see anything that is there that shouldnt be.

Cheers
    Nath.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquel View Post
    I suppose one question to ask to get more of a clearer view is how do you get users to map their home drive [whether it be a network share mapped to a drive letter or not]?

If you dont use a logon script, check in case somehow someone has been able to do this without your knowledge.

Also, even if its only specific machines [or not], its worth checking the various "startup" locations on the local machine[s] to see if u can see anything that is there that shouldnt be.

Cheers
    Nath.
    We use net use command in a bat script..

just thinking about the shares tho.. as some people who are shared are having issues and some who are not have issues....

neeed to investigate and tweek futher..

Thank Post
    Sounds like a NTFS [or SHARE permission] has changed for some reason at the root level of the share [or a folder within] and thus the prompting possibly

Nath.

Thank Post
    Sounds like a NTFS [or SHARE permission] has changed for some reason at the root level of the share
    I agree, it'll be something along these lines. Users should have Full Control to their home areas. Windows complains a lot otherwise.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I agree, it'll be something along these lines. Users should have Full Control to their home areas. Windows complains a lot otherwise.
    Yea the strange thing is that they can access their user area using the run and \\server\jfn ... yet it doesn't load on startup

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Yea the strange thing is that they can access their user area using the run and \\server\jfn ... yet it doesn't load on startup
    The other strange thisng is when in Security settings on the users home folder i select modify rights for owner creator the rights do not stick and are un ticked when I go back in

Thank Post
    HI

I know this is a shot in the dark but is the time correct on the machine and snyed up with the server. If the time or date is out by more that 5 mins kerberos will not work.

Richard

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread