+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, [SOLVED] How do I allow students access to a required registry key when regedit... in Technical; Original Title: How do I allow students access to a required registry key when regedit is blocked? Alright so I've ...
    Thank Post

Thumbs up [SOLVED] How do I allow students access to a required registry key when regedit...

Original Title: How do I allow students access to a required registry key when regedit is blocked?

Alright so I've got an interesting situation. Like I'm sure many of you do, I prevent access to the registry editor via GPO to the systems here at the school as one of the many applied policies, however, one of our software packages, Vectorworks 12.5.3, requires reading the registry at start up of the application in order to run, otherwise it can't read the programs registration information, and says Vectorworks requires a key to properly run. If I log into an account that doesn't have the policy enabled for blocking access to the registry, Vectorworks starts up perfectly. Is there a way I can still prevent access to the registry editor, but ALSO allow Vectorworks to read the registry and start up properly? Thanks!
    Last edited by link470; 4th September 2009 at 10:10 PM.

Thank Post
    If you have ranger you could title check the regedit so it closes whenever they try and open it? Though could they get to it if the run command was disabled?

Thank Post
    if you havent already try adding the reg key to Computer configuration > Security settings > Registry and giving students write permissions on it. That may work (all done on the workstation GPO)

Programs are able to read the registry without access to regedit, the only time it should be needed is if the program is trying to import an entry each time it loads.

Thank Post
    I was able to edit the permissions and still block the registry and everything seems to work great. No problems!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread