+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Transfer MS OEM license in Technical; I am replacing 50 PC's and wanted to know if I could purchase the machines without an operating system on ...
    Thank Post

Transfer MS OEM license

I am replacing 50 PC's and wanted to know if I could purchase the machines without an operating system on and just use the previously purchased licenses on these.

Thank Post
    OEM licenses can't be transferred between physical machines.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    You shouldnt be using OEM on 50 machines really, Volume Licensing?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    We have a Microsoft Schools agreement for our desktops but I thought that only entitled you to have upgrades to the software you license, including the OS.

I thought, seeing as how we had already purchased the PC's from Misco with a OS on, we could just continue using the schools agreement on the new ones.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    All Desktop VL licenses are upgrades only and have been for a great many years, they require a qualifying base OS license on the machine.

As they are new machines then you will still need an OEM or full packaged product liense for all the new machines and a VL upgrade license if you wish to use something that would need the upgrade (vista home to vista business etc).

6. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

rayfleming (4th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi KWestos

This is from a oldish School's Agreement doc, but I think [tho MS licensing does tend to change every now and then] it still applies:

1.When a school or institution enters into a Microsoft Volume Licensing agreement (Campus Agreement, School Agreement, Academic Open, Academic Select), does that mean it is licensed for a full Microsoft® operating system (OS), such as Windows?
    ANSWER: No. Microsoft Volume Licensing only licenses a school or institution for an upgrade for Windows, and sometimes for a downgrade to an earlier version of Windows. There are only three ways for an education institution to obtain a full operating system:
    Acquire the Full-Packaged Product from a retail store.
    Acquire a new PC with an OEM version of the operating system preinstalled.
    Acquire an OEM license with additional hardware from your system builder.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...42/OSLicQA.doc

Although you already have the Schools Agreement, there's also this in the pipeline too it seems:
    Microsoft UK Education - Types of Educational Licence - SESP agreement

A bit more info on it here:
    Microsoft UK Schools News Blog : UK Pilot of new Microsoft licensing scheme for schools

To be 100% definate though, give either your MS Schools Agreement reseller a call, or call the MS Edu team on 0870 60 70 800

Hope that helps.
    Nath.

8. 2 Thanks to tarquel:

KWestos (4th September 2009), rayfleming (4th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KWestos View Post
    I am replacing 50 PC's and wanted to know if I could purchase the machines without an operating system on and just use the previously purchased licenses on these.
    You could just replace the innards of the machine - motherboard, RAM - and re-use the license still on the case.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    You could just replace the innards of the machine - motherboard, RAM - and re-use the license still on the case.
    An interesting philosophical question:

I know that a motherboard, hard drive, RAM or CPU can go bad and may need to be replaced in an OEM PC. One of these (primarily the motherboard) may be unavailable and a "next best but compatible" piece of kit might have to be sourced. Sometimes the OS installation and activation process will whinge because of hardware change(s). Is there any logical way of determining how much of the hardware can be changed before MS considers it to be a new PC, and therefore be in contravention of the OEM licence? I know that it's possible to activate by calling MS and they'll almost certainly provide the relevant code if it won't activate over the internet.

It strikes me as a rather fuzzy area. I suppose that the extreme would be a complete replacement of the original innards for new hardware but housed in the same case bearing the sticker. Surely that would be in contravention of the licence?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquel View Post
    Hi KWestos

This is from a oldish School's Agreement doc, but I think [tho MS licensing does tend to change every now and then] it still applies:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...42/OSLicQA.doc

Although you already have the Schools Agreement, there's also this in the pipeline too it seems:
    Microsoft UK Education - Types of Educational Licence - SESP agreement

A bit more info on it here:
    Microsoft UK Schools News Blog : UK Pilot of new Microsoft licensing scheme for schools

To be 100% definate though, give either your MS Schools Agreement reseller a call, or call the MS Edu team on 0870 60 70 800

Hope that helps.
    Nath.
    Nath is right - your Schools Agreement gives you the upgrade to Windows 7 Enterprise; but you need a Windows operating system licence (normally the OEM licence) which arrives with your hardware. These OEM licences aren't transferrable between computers (and I'm not skilled enough to work out the finesses of the last two posts!).

For others, a handy hint:
    - Buy a new PC with pre-installed Windows Professional (ie OEM version), and you cannot transfer the licence to another.
    - Buy a new PC with pre-installed Windows Home Premium, and then buy an upgrade to Windows Professional/Enterprise via Select or School Agreement, and you can transfer the Upgrade bit of the licence.
    This is because although OEM licences cannot be transferred between computers, volume licences can be, so the 'upgrade' bit is transferrable.
    In many cases it can be cheaper to do the second option, as well as giving you more flexibility.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post

I know that a motherboard, hard drive, RAM or CPU can go bad and may need to be replaced in an OEM PC. One of these (primarily the motherboard) may be unavailable and a "next best but compatible" piece of kit might have to be sourced. Sometimes the OS installation and activation process will whinge because of hardware change(s). Is there any logical way of determining how much of the hardware can be changed before MS considers it to be a new PC, and therefore be in contravention of the OEM licence? I know that it's possible to activate by calling MS and they'll almost certainly provide the relevant code if it won't activate over the internet.

It strikes me as a rather fuzzy area. I suppose that the extreme would be a complete replacement of the original innards for new hardware but housed in the same case bearing the sticker. Surely that would be in contravention of the licence?
    Your machine is a 'new' machine if you upgrade the motherboard according to the MS OEM license IIRC.

ajs

Thank Post

There was some attempts by MS to clarify this situation about 4-5 years ago but I don't have time to do the necessary googling to find the information (I'm too lazy, our classlists are all wrong and there's a fire drill in 1 minute) but from what I remember you could replace a broken motherboard with a different one and the OEM license would still apply because you were repairing the machine and not replacing it. (How they would really know that the original was/wasn't broken is beyond me though)

I could of course be making this all up, it is a Friday and I'm not really thinking straight :-)

If I find anything on this I'll post it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KWestos View Post
    I'm wondering if we're interperating the question wrongly...

If you want to purchase old machines and by "previous licenses" you mean the OEM licenses that they should have arrived to you with, then the answer is yes - just get an OEM copy of XP and do a clean install using the OEM key on the sticker on the side / back of the computer.

In that scenario there is no tranfer of licenses as the OEM license applies to the individual hardware, not the person using it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    There was some attempts by MS to clarify this situation about 4-5 years ago but I don't have time to do the necessary googling to find the information (I'm too lazy, our classlists are all wrong and there's a fire drill in 1 minute) but from what I remember you could replace a broken motherboard with a different one and the OEM license would still apply because you were repairing the machine and not replacing it. (How they would really know that the original was/wasn't broken is beyond me though)
    It isn't a matter of them physically checking - it is simply down to the terms of the license. Lots of software has limits such as 'only can be run on 5 machines', but has no method to check this. You wouldn't install it on more than 5 machines though, as the license doesn't allow it. Same with the XP OEM license.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It isn't a matter of them physically checking - it is simply down to the terms of the license. Lots of software has limits such as 'only can be run on 5 machines', but has no method to check this. You wouldn't install it on more than 5 machines though, as the license doesn't allow it. Same with the XP OEM license.
    Ack. It's a question of honour.

mpe

Thank Post
    The simple answer is that nobody actually knows. Since none of these claims have actually been tested in court, at least in this country. Unlike in Germany where a court decided that the likes of "OEM", "Retail", etc distinctions were meaningless.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast