+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Transfer MS OEM license in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk It isn't a matter of them physically checking - it is simply down to the terms ...
    mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It isn't a matter of them physically checking - it is simply down to the terms of the license. Lots of software has limits such as 'only can be run on 5 machines', but has no method to check this. You wouldn't install it on more than 5 machines though, as the license doesn't allow it. Same with the XP OEM license.
    There's a difference between "can only be run on (up to) 5 machines at one time" and "can only only ever be used on 5 machines".
    Note that "licences" are subject to the "law of the land". You really need to ask the specific question to a lawyer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Your machine is a 'new' machine if you upgrade the motherboard according to the MS OEM license IIRC.
    It seems very unfair if the motherboard dies and requires replacement with a slightly different one (because the original one isn't produced any longer) the OEM licence *may* be invalidated. It's interesting that another comment here indicated that a new, different motherboard, would be OK!

I guess that confusion has been created by MS fomulating licence agreements that the majority of ordinary folks have no chance of understanding! I realise that they want to maximise their profit and stop illegal activity etc. Why not just create a single installation disk which replaces OEM and Retail and is priced somewhere in the middle?

Thank Post
    i'm pretty sure that MS activation uses the serials of multiple components (HDD, processor, ram , M/B etc) and if too many change, it sets the alarm off.

A M/B change shouldn't affect the activation status of the machine

Thank Post
    Can say for certain that it does affect activation status if the board is very different and comes with new CPU.

Replaced the board in my old desktop, formerly a server, P4 HT, with a truly stunning Core2Quad and board and the activation whatsit threw a hissy-fit and DEMANDED that I re-establish my link to the collective (THEY ARE BORG, RESISTANCE IS FUTILE).

However, activation and licensing are not the same - you need to re-activate XP when your hardware changes a lot, but it's not counted as a different machine, simply the same one that needs re-activating.

I'm fairly sure that after about 2-3 activations, they'll grill you on the phone to find out how many machines it's on, whether you bought it in a shop, all kinds really to try and catch out bad backstreet computer shops selling the same OEM license over and over.

Thank Post
    sounds like Theseus's paradox to me!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12