+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Access wont create reports in Technical; Ok I have installed 5 computer suites this summer and bar a few permissions glitches with Delphi everything seemed to ...

Thank Post

Access wont create reports

Ok I have installed 5 computer suites this summer and bar a few permissions glitches with Delphi everything seemed to be working beautifuly. Until today.

Access was deployed by GPO using the standard office install + a transform created using the office resource kit's little utility. There is also a GPO attched to the base workstation policy to restrict the universal file open dialogue and macros etc of office which applies to all 5 rooms and is being loaded and applied. However in the 3 rooms in question when you try to create a report in design view nothing happens no error no crash it just doesn't do it. Even with full logging on nothing even shows in eventviewer as a reason why it didn't happen. This is true with a student mandatory profile, teacher mandatory profile or a full admin account. If you try to create a report with the wizard it lets you make all the choices and then when you hit finish it says "the report could not be created" still no report in event viewer of any restriction implimentation permissions error or anything. So basicaly I have nothing to go on at all for my fault finding so. Has anyone seen this or anything like it before ?

Thank Post

Re: Access wont create reports

There is also a GPO attched to the base workstation policy to restrict the universal file open dialogue and macros etc of office which applies to all 5 rooms and is being loaded and applied.

Do you not think this may have something to do with it, have u tried enabling some of the restrictions you have made? work backwards, enable everything if you have to.

Sometimes this has happened to us, were not sure why but we start a new databse and import the tables into it and then the reports work? who knows?

Thank Post

The thing is 2 full rooms of machines are able to create reports just fine and they are subject to the same GPOs. The fact that an admin account cannot create a report either also lead me away from GPO as the cause.

The only difference between the systems that can and those that can't is the windows install. They are a different RIS image but the same GPO deployed install of office. I'm just not sure what aspect of a windows install could cause this but I'll continue testing.

Thank Post

I found access didn't work unless the kids had full access to their folders. Not just the usual read and write malarkey!

Thank Post

Is there a printer attached and configured with these computers?
    Access needs a printer (stupidly) to be able to decide it can make reports.

This was the fix for a similar lack of ability in access.

fooby

Thank Post

Printers are assigned in the rooms by a script. I didn't have any complaints about printing today but first thing I check tomorrow will be that because I've had a similar problem with publisher and A3 pages. No error just wouldn't do it.

Thank Post

Ok there may be a link here but its not a 1:1 link because theres a couple of machines that hte printing is working fine on that also have the report issue but it turns out there is a printing issue in the same room and the machine I've manually fixed it on can now create reports too so my new question is. How to I force 90 machines to reinstall a printer driver from the server without having to actually log on to each one? The printers run a script to add the printer s on each user logon but they seem to use a cached copy of the driver and get an error when trying to print. Is there a way to force them all to grab the driver from the server again as my forcing one to do just that seemed to do the trick.

Thank Post

You can either have the commands in a startup script or you can use psexec from an account/machine which has admin access on target machines.

You can do alot of command line printer management using printui.dll
    Type
    Code:
    rundll32 printUI.dll,PrintUIEntry /?
    for a list of options

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread