+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, You may be a victim of software counterfeiting... in Technical; Originally Posted by Geoff Dell/IBM/Lenevo sell machines with FreeDos if you know the magic word. The other option is to ...

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post

Re: You may be a victim of software counterfeiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff

Dell/IBM/Lenevo sell machines with FreeDos if you know the magic word.

The other option is to not agree to the MS EULA and ask for your refund once you/ve returned your software.
    Does Freedos count for a competetive upgrade for Windows licences then? I really don't see how returning the software, with or without a refund, helps tho.

Thank Post

YAY, time for Windows Volume Licensing 101.

Standard OEM and FPP (Full Packaged Product) licenses apply to bare-metal systems and also to upgrade situations so you can build a system from scratch or upgrade an older system using these versions.

Upgrade versions of the FPP license generally apply to upgrading older systems, but you can also apply them to bare-metal systems if you have the original install media - this will be asked for during the install process.

Volume licensing versions of XP Professional (no XP Home volume license exists) are upgrade versions only so there is no such thing as a full install version of XP volume license, however in this situation you aren't actually entitled to install it on a base-metal system as you are with an FPP upgrade license - it has to be an actual upgrade of a currently installed OS. Unfortunately, due to the joys of XP install media, you CAN physically install XP Pro using volume licensing media onto a bare-metal system.

The wonderful side-effect of this is that if you do a bare-metal install using a VLK, WGA Notification will potentially see this as a non-legally licenced copy.

Don't you just love M$ Licensing... :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

"Please choose one question from section 1 of the exam, two questions from section 2 and 1 question from section 3... unless you have opted for the higher tier, in which case choose one question from section 1 of the exam, 1 question from section 2 and two questions from section 3.

If you have previously sat any module of this exam you will not receive section 2 of the exam, so you must choose two questions from section 1 of the exam and two questions from section 3... unless you are on the higher tier in which case you must choose one question from section 1 and three questions from section 3.

If this exam is a resit you may only choose questions from sections 2 and 3, even though you will still receive the questions from section 1. If you answer any questions from section 1 and you are resitting the exam then no answers will be marked from sections 1 or 2.

Should you be resitting this exam and also have already completed some modules then you will not received section 2 but will receive section 1. You must not answer any questions from section 1 but choose four from section 3.

If you are taking the higher tier and are resitting this exam and have already completed some modules then you may select four questions from section 3 and and additional question from section 2. You will not receive the questions from section 2 and must ask for these, quoting the relevant part of these instructions which allow you to receive section 2.

If you are unsure whether you should receive section 2 and you have not received it then you may answer two questions from section one instead as long as you answer four questions from section 3.

Failure to abie bide these instruction may mean losing marks and dropping grades.

Each section contains 3 questions."

Yep ... as clear as mud!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by RobC

Volume licensing versions of XP Professional (no XP Home volume license exists) are upgrade versions only so there is no such thing as a full install version of XP volume license, however in this situation you aren't actually entitled to install it on a base-metal system as you are with an FPP upgrade license - it has to be an actual upgrade of a currently installed OS. Unfortunately, due to the joys of XP install media, you CAN physically install XP Pro using volume licensing media onto a bare-metal system.

The wonderful side-effect of this is that if you do a bare-metal install using a VLK, WGA Notification will potentially see this as a non-legally licenced copy.
    Does this apply to the schools agreement too?

Because although Ive always known you needed a licence for each machine and technically you were only supposed to do an upgrade, I always thought having the licence for that machine and doing a bare metal install of XP was acceptable??
    I hope it is because every single one of our PC's is done like that. Mainly because they all come with Xp Home and its easier to do a fresh install (plus can you even do an upgrade from home to pro?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you are on Schools Agreement and have an XP Pro machine (licensed when bought under OEM or FPP) then you can 'upgrade' it to XP Pro from VLK. Since *every* machine is licensed under the Schools Agreement (you pay per machine after all) then this is possible. If you buy a bare-metal machine then you *cannot* stick XP Pro from VLK directly on it ... go to ebay and pick up any 3.1, 3.11, 9x licenses you can.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

erm... ..so if you buy XP Pro OEM on your machines you can stick XP Pro VLK onto them yes?! [even if you don't have a schools agreement]

How do people justify the schools agreement? Seems a hell of a lot of money compared to what WE need for example:- O/S and Office.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

All my machines get XP Pro with them (OEM) but I don't use the OEM media for installs, i use the VLK media as it doesn't require activating, but I know I have genuine licences for each machine, so am I bad guy or a semi-bad guy or a good guy. I was told once by a MSFT employee that so long as I can prove I have the rights to use XP Pro on a machine I can re-install it using any appropriate media, which the VL CD is as I have licences for that. Just think if you use RIS, how would that go down with OEM / VL mixed setups etc?

As Tony has said, its as clear as mud.

Thank Post

We started getting this problem on our new admin network yesterday - very frustrating. After speaking to MS for 2 hours, deleting registry keys, re-registring dlls etc., etc. We found the only solution was to add the users to the local admins. This solution was perfectly adequate to the Microsoft guy.
    Anyway, this morning it is happening with users who are local admins too (but not the actual administrator).
    Just speaking to MS again.
    I wonder if it is something stored in the mandatory profile that gets copied to all machines.

Have you tried deleting the follwoing folder

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage

From the workstation and / or mandatory profile and and re authenticating via the M$ website?

Thank Post

Thanks Sysman, that didn't work unfortunately. The weird thing is that WGA works for the administrator. Microsoft are giving it to higher level support who will supposedly call me back. This is a major pain

Thank Post

Hi Guys,

Well seems like more and more people are getting this problem!

I called Microsoft yesterday and spoke to a lady somewhere outside of this country! After giving her all our details and license key infomation/registration numbers etc etc she told me to go to a link on the microsoft website which would run a diagnostic check and permantely remove the annoying messages from the computer.

However when I typed in the address she told me it came up saying "We are sorry but the webpage you tried visting does not exisit"! Maybe it was her accent and couldn't here what she was saying!

In the meantime (knowing that Microsoft had agreed that my software was legit) I used a WGA Removal tool as suggested by somebody on this posting, did the trick for now!

Going to give Microsoft a buzz again in a mo and find out what the actuall address is again!

Will let you know what happens!

Regards,

Matt

Thank Post

Just got off the phone to them...

This is the link to the website...

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag

Regards,

Matt

Thank Post

Cheers Matt, you can actually download the tool on that site - MGADiag.exe it's called. When I run it as the administrator, then the status is "Genuine" when I run it as other users the the status is "Cryptographic Errors Detected"

Lots of people are getting it judging by the hits after a google search.

Thank Post

Interesting program

Thanks

Thank Post

Well we are having loads of fun here. We have recently had a migration fixing a lot of things on our network. Because we use ghost to image we have used a standard XP product ID.

I get in this morning to find all of our machines on the network are coming up with the error about not genuine copy of windows

Now any suggestions to fix this quick and easy.

Ross

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast