+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Auto Login - Lock Keyboard and Mouse in Technical; Is it possible to setup a script that allows a PC to automatically logon the domain administrator and disable the ...
    Thank Post

Auto Login - Lock Keyboard and Mouse

Is it possible to setup a script that allows a PC to automatically logon the domain administrator and disable the keyboard and mouse for that session?

What I want to be able to do is automate some installations and script running. So, the PC would boot up, automatically log in to a domain admin account, disable the keyboard and mouse for the entire session as it automatically runs some scripts and then restarts the PC restoring the keyboard and mouse and normal service.

Is it possible?

Thank Post

Smile

Why not simply use RUNAS or an equivalent for this?

You could then fire off the scripts/install with alt creds while the PC itself can still be used.
    Just out of interest, what is it exactly you are installing or doing?

Az

Thank Post
    Basically, I want to achieve more advanced configurations when deploying RIS images to PCs. I.e. Logging the PC on automatically at the end of the RIS process to clean up files left from the installation of addon packs, driverpacks and installing Network based applications.

Now, seeing as the PCs sit in classrooms and we might want to rebuild PC's during term time, I don't want the kids getting to PC's with a domain admin account whilst a PC might be rebuilding. At the moment we simply RIS the PCs and then manually cleanup and install network based applications. However, if I could automate this with scripts and automatic logons, but disable the kids from being able to tamper with the PC by disabling the keyboard and mouse whilst it is working, it would be very useful and save a lot of time!

These are the basic steps I take to create a RIS image:
    Copy Windows XP CD Contents to Hard Drive
    Use nLite to integrate latest updates and application addon packages downloaded from MSFN.org, Wincert.net and RyanVM.net
    Integrate drivers
    Apply patches and tweaks
    Then integrate the necessary RIS files, answer file etc.
    Upload to RIS server

So, once a PC is built, it is already fully up to date and includes all the necessary applications (Office, CD Burners and other Educational and Academic Software) so there is no need to run updates or installations after the build process has completed.

However, what I want to be able to do with disabling the keyboard and mouse is use utilities like DriverPacks (driverpacks.net) and install applications that require domain network access. This can only be done once the PC is able to log in to the domain.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,918 Times in 2,149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    However, what I want to be able to do with disabling the keyboard and mouse is use utilities like DriverPacks (driverpacks.net) and install applications that require domain network access. This can only be done once the PC is able to log in to the domain.
    You can disable the keyboard and mouse if you use AutoIt to automated the installation i.e. using the BlockInput command. However, unless you disable task manager, anyone could kill the AutoIt process to gain control of the keyboard/mouse again.

Regarding apps which require domain access. Wouldn't GPOs and MSI packages be a much better option? Also, DriverPacks can be integrated into the Windows disc too. IIRC, they can be installed at the T-13 stage or via GUIRunOnce once Windows has been installed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Was looking at this and haven't found the exact exercise yet.

When I went on the 2273 training course I'm sure one of the exercises used for the recovery section was where the keyboard and/or mouse (can't quite remember that) and I think it was removing a registry keys from the CurrentControlSet. Whether you'd want to go down that route and whether it would still allow you to do what you wanted to do afterwards I don't know, but could be an option?

I'll see if I can find the exercise in my book again.

Thank Post
    I'm on Arthur's side, but but would auto-logon and locking the desktop at the start of whateve happens work? For XP this command does that:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation

7. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

Zoom7000 (25th August 2009)

Thank Post
    The user can be a local machine administrator, just make sure any shares are configured so they can be accessed by that user. I can't think of anything that would need domain admin rights.

In fact I suspect you can get quite a lot done with a machine account with startup scripts and a share on the network with domain computer permissions.

Thank Post
    A little bit late to join in but one thing to consider is that if you disable the keyboard and mouse you might just get pupils turning off the machine to enable them to use it in a lesson. I think you would be better off locking the machine and show it in use and under repair.

Still I have tried doing this only to find some little angel to have restarted the machine due to it being locked by the admin and needing to use the computer. Rather than check with me, the teacher had told them to just reboot the machine and use it. Only way it seemed to matter was if a sign was placed saying under repair and even then it was sometimes moved

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread