+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows 7 RTM in Technical; Hi all I'm trying to get Win 7 working on our domain. The problem is I get a GP core ...
    Thank Post

Windows 7 RTM

Hi all

I'm trying to get Win 7 working on our domain. The problem is I get a GP core failure on the software deployment part of group policy, all other settings seem to apply.

The software msi's reside on a dfs root and I have XP clients working and seeing this dfs root so there is nothing inherently wrong there.

On the win 7 machine I aslo get errors in the event log which relate to dns errors which state the domain cannot be contacted, but dns is correct as the xp clients work without fault.

Our setup has recently been upgraded from 2 win 2003 R2 domain controllers to 2x server 2008 DC's and one of the old Win 2003 R2 DC's still in place. I moved dns onto one of the 2008 dc's and have a backup dns on the old 2003 dc but as I say DNS seems fine.

It's almost as if the NIC is not initialising when the machine is booted. The machines are Stone D945GC motherboards with onboard Intel Pro 100 VE NICs

Anybody Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Before you upgraded your 2003 R2 DCs, did you upgrade the schema from 32 to 44 on your primary domain controller before upgrading to 2008?

If you need to check your 2003 DC, navigate to this registry entry:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NTDS\Parameters\Schema-Version
    Is there any reason why you're not running DNS on all three DCs? If the DC hosting DNS goes down, the other two DCs will not take over. Usually I would run DNS AD integrated on all three as Windows Server does a good job generally. I would also recommended running DHCP on 2 of your DCs for redundancy also.

DNS configuration on all three servers should be pointing to themselves first, then each other as secondary for redundancy to work properly.

If you perform a ipconfig /all from a Windows 7 machine, is it the same as on an XP machine?

Thank Post
    Yes schema master is 44. I do normally have more than one dns but in the early stages of going to 2008 server I just configured one for now. As I say dns seems fine.

Thank Post
    whats the domain/forest functional level if its not 2003 might be worth upping it (unless you have any old 2k servers)

Thank Post
    I have now removed the old WK2003 DC and raised the domain level to 2008 but no difference. I was wondering, just spotted Windows 7 RTM uses UTC time and my Win 2008 servers are set to GMT. I know if windows XP time is out it wont do naff all.

Has anyone on these forums joined Windows 7 RTM in a domain environment, and got it working (accepting machine group policy that is).

Thank Post

Solved

Ok Ok I was attempting to setup Win 7 via an old 3com superstack hub, I can't get into it to see what the problem is, it is probably configed with spanning tree or something like that which on some forums say will limit connectivity of vista and 7, I've searched for the default IP of the hub but cannot find it, but no problem we are awaiting delivery of gig switches to replace all switches in school.

Thanks for the comments and one of them made up my mind to demote the old win 2003 dc and promote the domain funcionality to 2008, all is well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread