+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Internet Explorer Branding Policy Hang in Technical; We've had the same problem with deploying IE7, only for Staff accounts randomly... proxy gpo doesn't get applied....

Thank Post
    We've had the same problem with deploying IE7, only for Staff accounts randomly... proxy gpo doesn't get applied.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PRicho View Post
    We've had the same problem with deploying IE7, only for Staff accounts randomly... proxy gpo doesn't get applied.
    Have you got the IE7 ADM templates set up? I had no problems with proxy settings until I altered that dll. If I use the standard IE7 dll then proxy settings and everything else work fine, I just get the branding policy hang.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Thanks, no joy with that one though. I have an SP3/IE7 machine that's got the standard IE7 DLL on it and after doing that regedit then reboot I still get the 20 second hang. Do you need a specific version of Iedkcs32.dll too?

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can you go into the GPMC and run a group policy results task on a machine with the problem using an account that has the issue. When you get that report switch to the settings tab and right click save report. Stick it in a zip with a pass and post it here with the pass (thus preventing google indexing the contents of the zip)

Thank Post
    Can you go into the GPMC and run a group policy results task on a machine with the problem using an account that has the issue. When you get that report switch to the settings tab and right click save report. Stick it in a zip with a pass and post it here with the pass (thus preventing google indexing the contents of the zip)
    There's a LOT of stuff we apply via GPO so I'd rather not stick an RSOP on a forum... Anything in particular I should be looking for? I'm pretty sure the problem came up with SP3 as we'd had IE7 deployed a while before that with no issues. Going back to the IE6 DLL definitely fixed it but caused this proxy settings problem. Just wondering if I might need to re-look at how we set up the IE ADM settings.

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Your not using loopback policy mode or anything like that?
    I know what your saying about the RSOP but its hard to see if it happens here without it.
    A test would be to remove ALL policies to a test OU and just apply the proxy settings to that account and see if the delay still occurs. Then add domain admin to that account and reset the profile and see if the same delay applies.
    Are you applying on machine or user account ou's?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Have you got the IE7 ADM templates set up? I had no problems with proxy settings until I altered that dll. If I use the standard IE7 dll then proxy settings and everything else work fine, I just get the branding policy hang.
    Just using the default IE Maintenance template to apply proxy and homepage within User Config - Windows Settings - IE Maintenance...

Works for students but not for staff, however if the staff run gpupdate it then applies the homepage but still no proxy. No luck with the dll either for us. Back to IE6!

Thank Post
    Are you applying on machine or user account ou's?
    Well here's the thing... All our GPOs set the IE7 proxy settings as a user policy under User Configuration > Windows Settings > IE Maintenance > Connection/Proxy Settings. However, if you look at this KB it says:

Standard users can not change proxy settings after Internet Explorer 7 installation.

This is happening because the Internet Explorer 7 sets the proxy settings per machine (rather than per-user) by default for desktop computers.
    Now that KB isn't directly related to this problem, but does that quote mean I need to be setting IE7 proxy settings as a Computer Configuration item? If so then where is that setting as under User Configuration > Windows Settings I only get Scripts and Security Settings!

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well here's the thing... All our GPOs set the IE7 proxy settings as a user policy under User Configuration > Windows Settings > IE Maintenance > Connection/Proxy Settings. However, if you look at this KB it says:

Standard users can not change proxy settings after Internet Explorer 7 installation.

Now that KB isn't directly related to this problem, but does that quote mean I need to be setting IE7 proxy settings as a Computer Configuration item? If so then where is that setting as under User Configuration > Windows Settings I only get Scripts and Security Settings!

Cheers,
    Chris
    So I take it your applying the gp to a users OU rather then a machine OU (otherwise loopback would be required)?

Not sure about where you can do it in the computer policy setting but you could deploy the group policy preferences windows update and try using it (you must edit GP from vista/w7/2008 to see preference options) to set the proxy as it can do it too for users as a workaround for now.

EDIT:
    I just read the KB, does that not say just to ensure that its not applied per machine?
    In order to resolve this issue you must disable the following Local Computer Policy setting - Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per-user). You must set this policy setting to disabled even if Group Policy console (gpedit.msc) shows this as Not Configured.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 10th September 2009 at 02:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Could be, I wasn't sure exactly what the KB means with regards to how IE7 works, i.e. whether the policy will apply to the machine rather than the user, or just that whatever settings are applied to one user will be applied to all users on that machine (which is what the KB is providing a fix for).

So I take it your applying the gp to a users OU rather then a machine OU (otherwise loopback would be required)?
    The proxy settings are actually applied in a couple of places (don't ask!) but yes, they do get applied to user OUs (as well as computer OUs due to the domain layout).

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Could be, I wasn't sure exactly what the KB means with regards to how IE7 works, i.e. whether the policy will apply to the machine rather than the user, or just that whatever settings are applied to one user will be applied to all users on that machine (which is what the KB is providing a fix for).

The proxy settings are actually applied in a couple of places (don't ask!) but yes, they do get applied to user OUs (as well as computer OUs due to the domain layout).

Cheers,
    Chris
    What I think it meant was even though the computer setting "make proxy settings stay on machine" is "not configured" it can still do it and you should set it to disabled to ensure its user policy only.

I know that having overriding gp settings for IE can cause issues tbh. I would really test it out with a ou with only 1 gp that only applys one ie setting because you cant count on it otherwise.

13. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Duke (10th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Very likely you're right...

Once I get a few free minutes (got a couple of staff away this week) I'll give it a proper test with different GPOs and see what the results are. Cheers for the help!

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Np m8, remember removing the settings is not the same as right clicking "internet explorer maintenance" and hitting "Reset browser settings"
    Doing the right click *should* truely remove the IE settings otherwise you can still get the conflict.
    I think the stacking of IE settings could be the issue as GP merging is a lot more taxing and the IE settings are one of the slower/worse parts to deploy I have found.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12