+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Random Display Res issues in Technical; I have 60 1 year old Pc's with Gigabyte 945GCM-S2L Motherboards which run Acer Widescreen displays via intel graphics. Default ...
    Thank Post

Random Display Res issues

I have 60 1 year old Pc's with Gigabyte 945GCM-S2L Motherboards which run Acer Widescreen displays via intel graphics.
    Default resolution for these screens is 1440x900 and when building the master image everything is fine.
    i can set the screen res fine. After imaging these machines a bunch of them just resist seeing 1440x900 as a option which is 1 serious pain in the......

I would say the problem is on 10-15 machines spread across 2 rooms!

Anyone any ideas? before i waste some time trying to fix the problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz350 View Post
    I have 60 1 year old Pc's with Gigabyte 945GCM-S2L Motherboards which run Acer Widescreen displays via intel graphics.
    Default resolution for these screens is 1440x900 and when building the master image everything is fine.
    i can set the screen res fine. After imaging these machines a bunch of them just resist seeing 1440x900 as a option which is 1 serious pain in the......

I would say the problem is on 10-15 machines spread across 2 rooms!

Anyone any ideas? before i waste some time trying to fix the problem.
    one util like quick res , one startup script on the OU where the computers are to apply quick res with the config file thats either in sys vol login script drive or somewhere that quickres can read the config file and apply that

QuickRes for Windows XP

About SwitchResX...

Plenty of them about am sure you can find one that can do it

that or BG Info maybe ?

3. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

john (14th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    This may sound daft but I have seen similar problems before and randomly switching screens around (you can do this with the machines on) can resolve problems.

I've also seen some machines display a blank screen (as the resolution appeared to go out of range), but switching screens solved it

5. Thanks to Michael from:

gaz350 (14th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This may sound daft but I have seen similar problems before and randomly switching screens around (you can do this with the machines on) can resolve problems.

I've also seen some machines display a blank screen (as the resolution appeared to go out of range), but switching screens solved it
    Michael you are a legend.
    Just tried it on a machine and it worked! will see if it works on the rest 1st thing monday, sadly we get kicked out the building on fridays at 12.30 so haven't got time to do the rest just yet.

so simple but works a treat.
    THANKS!

Thank Post

Because some screens don't support the higher refresh rate or the higher resolution or that the resolution 1440 * 900 is a wide screen resolution so if it goes out of range it basically means that the monitor in question does not support it and the only way to get the display back if thats the only monitor in question is to reboot and get to the menu system as though you are going into safe mode and there is an option to enable vga mode ( if you go into vga mode ) you can faff about changing the resolution settings back to something that the monitor does support

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    so simple but works a treat.
    THANKS!
    You're most welcome. Interesting how you mentioned your machines are using onboard Intel graphics. I've only managed to re-create the problem with Intel's onboard graphics and no other. Still baffles me today as I don't know what's causing it!

Thank Post
    You're most welcome. Interesting how you mentioned your machines are using onboard Intel graphics. I've only managed to re-create the problem with Intel's onboard graphics and no other. Still baffles me today as I don't know what's causing it!
    the onboard intel graphics cards have there own util that runs in the background and is constantly updating / replacing the windows display settings using windows API to set the refresh rate / resolution etc so you are better off using the intel util to set display resolution etc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread