+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Wierd system beep problem in Technical; Hi all, I hope that I'm not posting inappropriately, but I have a rather annoying problem, for which I cannot ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy Wierd system beep problem

Hi all, I hope that I'm not posting inappropriately, but I have a rather annoying problem, for which I cannot find an answer online.

Every hour, on the hour, a number of PC's on the network emit a system error beep, or a number of beeps. There is no record of why in either the event viewer of the PC or that of the servers. It's been happening for a couple of months now, but towards the end of term I was so busy that I just ignored it.

Due to the timing of the beeps I thought it may be related to time synchronisation, but have been unable to find any evidence that this is the case.

There doesn't seem to be any other symptoms, but I hate not being able to explain what is happening!

Have any of you experienced the same problem, or can you shed any light on what may be causing it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daveleonard View Post
    Hi all, I hope that I'm not posting inappropriately, but I have a rather annoying problem, for which I cannot find an answer online.

Every hour, on the hour, a number of PC's on the network emit a system error beep, or a number of beeps. There is no record of why in either the event viewer of the PC or that of the servers. It's been happening for a couple of months now, but towards the end of term I was so busy that I just ignored it.

Due to the timing of the beeps I thought it may be related to time synchronisation, but have been unable to find any evidence that this is the case.

There doesn't seem to be any other symptoms, but I hate not being able to explain what is happening!

Have any of you experienced the same problem, or can you shed any light on what may be causing it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    how old are the machines and have you checked the bios error log ?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the speedy reply Simon,

There is nothing of relevance in any of the logs that I can access. Certainly nothing hourly. The machines are of differing makes and models, but are no more that 3 years old.

Dave.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the speedy reply Simon,

There is nothing of relevance in any of the logs that I can access. Certainly nothing hourly. The machines are of differing makes and models, but are no more that 3 years old.

Dave.
    it could be the bios battery failing , is there any signs of post screen asking for you to correct the date and time ?

Thank Post
    No, none at all. The fact that it is happening on dozens of PC's all over the network (and about a dozen in my room!) kind of rules out a low level issue such as BIOS I would have thought.

It's certainly a new one on me!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Have you checked the temperature of the room and the PC's? Seems really odd they beep on the hour to be honest!

Thank Post
    The temperature is fine, it occurs in our air conditioned server room as well as some cool offices around the school.

The fact that it every hour, on the hour suggests to me that 'something' is trying to synchronise or update with a service, but failing. I would have thought it would simply been a matter of checking the application event log to find out what it is, but as I've said, there is nothing of relevance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 984 Posts
    The temperature is fine, it occurs in our air conditioned server room as well as some cool offices around the school.

The fact that it every hour, on the hour suggests to me that 'something' is trying to synchronise or update with a service, but failing. I would have thought it would simply been a matter of checking the application event log to find out what it is, but as I've said, there is nothing of relevance.
    reset bios to system or factory defaults and then save and try again and also set relevant passwords so users / students cant change settings on them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's no scheduled task set up to run every hour on the machines are there?

10. Thanks to Cache from:

daveleonard (14th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Do they have NOD antivirus on? This will beep for some update/scan completions if configured to do so.

Thank Post
    No, none at all. The fact that it is happening on dozens of PC's all over the network (and about a dozen in my room!) kind of rules out a low level issue such as BIOS I would have thought.

It's certainly a new one on me!
    I only suggested bios reset to factory defaults to elliminate the bios because if students had or have tampered with the settings then they may have done something to make it beep every hour ( was just a thought )

Other then that anti virus and anti spyware up to date and also disable any synch stuff through gpo

Also as above task scheduler - if nothing in there then I would be a bit stumped

13. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Reading through your messages again, the one thing that sticks out is the fact you mentioned this happens on different hardware in the same room. This would in theory eliminate a BIOS or BIOS configuration issue, but as mentioned above, resetting the BIOS to factory default may be advisory.

Failing this I'm speculating it must be software which is triggering the beeps. Usually PCs only do this when a sound card is not detected or available. Although cheating, you could open up the problematic machines and disconnect the internal speaker cable. Most newer machines don't even have them anymore.

15. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Reading through your messages again, the one thing that sticks out is the fact you mentioned this happens on different hardware in the same room. This would in theory eliminate a BIOS or BIOS configuration issue, but as mentioned above, resetting the BIOS to factory default may be advisory.

Failing this I'm speculating it must be software which is triggering the beeps. Usually PCs only do this when a sound card is not detected or available. Although cheating, you could open up the problematic machines and disconnect the internal speaker cable. Most newer machines don't even have them anymore.
    I haven't done it on windows for a long time but just had a thought about as per the scheduled task type principle that it may also be a date / time hourly chime or beep - just as an example you can set it to do it hourly on os x which I am aware is different to windows but just a thought

R0M
    Thank Post
    Another thing you might want to check is that your students haven't put anything in the start up, like batch files (I don't know how much access they have). It would not be that hard to write a script to out put a beep, try putting this in a batch file:
    Code:
    @echo 
    (That's the bell Character you get it by holding Alt and press 0 then 7 on the num-pad)

I'm sure using %time% you could set a batch file up to beep hour on the hour, but I can't be bothered working out how. It might be some kids just trying to annoy you / show off to friends / *cough* "Hack" *cough*.

Thank Post
    If the asker figures out what it is - it would be good to know the outcome

This thread reminds me of the movie "hear no evil, see no evil" with Richard Prior and Co where near the start of the movie the 2 blind guys are trying to cross the traffic lights and one of them says

"Wait for the beep!!"

Just made me chuckle a bit and thought it was fitting

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast