+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Change 2003 domain name... well part of it anyway in Technical; Another weird and wonderful idea \ problem for the summer! We've got our two 2003 domains for teaching and admin, ...
    Thank Post

Change 2003 domain name... well part of it anyway

Another weird and wonderful idea \ problem for the summer!

We've got our two 2003 domains for teaching and admin, one has been set up as domain.ac.uk (even on the internal part.. I know lol!) and the other is .co.uk

On the teaching side (the .co.uk) I'm looking at implementing Live@Edu with Moodle to give student email and other services, by doing this we have to use Live sign in, which also signs in Moodle accounts. Because the Live account and Windows account are synced by the Microsoft ILM server the passwords should match but I wanted a way for the accounts to *look* the same.

Then I had an idea...

- the Live account will be an email address based on the student ID number so basically STU0001@domain.co.uk for example
    - the Windows account could then login using the same method because the internal domain is the same so as far as the student is concerned it's one and the same thing!

All good so far... but I wanted us to be using .ac.uk all the way through so what I need to change on our internal 2003 server domain is to go from ourorg.co.uk to ourorg.ac.uk

I've read the domain change info but I'm not actually changing the domain name, just the end of it so the DNS suffix? Is it just a case of modding the DNS settings or will the domain name change as well?

Thank Post
    You're talking a full-blown domain rename, not something to be taken lightly.

What Is Domain Rename?: Active Directory

Thank Post
    Dammit, was hoping as it was just the suffix that there might be an easier solution... was reading that link before and tbh it does sound a bit risky to take on at this stage of the summer as well

Might have to live with the VLE on .co.uk in the end then and get the .ac.uk as a redirector to it

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You may not need to do a full rename to accomplish this:

SeanDaniel.com - Small Business Server and Other Technology: Hosting Multiple Domains on SBS 2003 (Part 3)

Looks like you can add different suffixes into AD and then specify which one a user belongs to without changing the primary. I would suggest testing this out first but it could be a feasible solution.

5. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

gshaw (11th August 2009), powdarrmonkey (11th August 2009)

Thank Post
    That sounds like just what we need... time to head off to the test network to have a play

Thank Post
    Hmm, I didn't know about that magic. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Seems to work a treat on the test network, top stuff

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Another weird and wonderful idea \ problem for the summer!

We've got our two 2003 domains for teaching and admin, one has been set up as domain.ac.uk (even on the internal part.. I know lol!) and the other is .co.uk

On the teaching side (the .co.uk) I'm looking at implementing Live@Edu with Moodle to give student email and other services, by doing this we have to use Live sign in, which also signs in Moodle accounts. Because the Live account and Windows account are synced by the Microsoft ILM server the passwords should match but I wanted a way for the accounts to *look* the same.

Then I had an idea...

- the Live account will be an email address based on the student ID number so basically STU0001@domain.co.uk for example
    - the Windows account could then login using the same method because the internal domain is the same so as far as the student is concerned it's one and the same thing!

All good so far... but I wanted us to be using .ac.uk all the way through so what I need to change on our internal 2003 server domain is to go from ourorg.co.uk to ourorg.ac.uk

I've read the domain change info but I'm not actually changing the domain name, just the end of it so the DNS suffix? Is it just a case of modding the DNS settings or will the domain name change as well?
    Sorry not having a go or critising but why have you got two domains, any particular reason. I find it it easier to stick with one domain and setup the security and model the heirachy to the organisation's needs. It obviosuly creates less hassle and in my opinion makes administration easier.

Ash.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread