+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Outlook 2007 PRF MST OCT in Technical; This Technet page Customize Outlook profiles by using an Outlook Profile (PRF) file says it is possible to use the ...
    Thank Post

Outlook 2007 PRF MST OCT

This Technet page Customize Outlook profiles by using an Outlook Profile (PRF) file says it is possible to use the OCT to create a transform that will apply PRFs similar to previous versions, however the OCT only seems to create MSPs, not MSTs. Is this page wrong, or am I missing something? I appreciate there are issues in trying to deploy Office/Outlook 2007 via GPO.
    Import the PRF file in the Office Customization Tool to specify profile settings in a transform, and then include the transform when you deploy or update Outlook.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This sounds like the way I used to configure it with Office XP/2k3. You will need to use the Office customisation bit for the previous versions to get an MST out of it.

In 2007 unless you are configuring fancy things you do not need to use a PRF at all, just tell it to join an exchange account with the %username% value in the OCT and your pretty much done. This does get packed into an MSP though which must be hit at install time to get all the right data.

Looks like you can also jsut put the PRF in a shared location like before and point to it with a reg key like I used to. No MST nessisary.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    This sounds like the way I used to configure it with Office XP/2k3. You will need to use the Office customisation bit for the previous versions to get an MST out of it.
    Maybe I misunderstood, but I tried the 2003 CIW and it (unsurprisingly) complained that it was not a supported version.

In 2007 unless you are configuring fancy things you do not need to use a PRF at all, just tell it to join an exchange account with the %username% value in the OCT and your pretty much done. This does get packed into an MSP though which must be hit at install time to get all the right data.
    I'm not sure how you'd do that since the 2007 "customization" wizard only produces MSPs. To use the MSPs by dropping it in the updates folder I'd need to call the setup.exe, whereas I plan to use the outlookww.msi for GPO software installation.

Looks like you can also jsut put the PRF in a shared location like before and point to it with a reg key like I used to. No MST nessisary.
    I could use that as a last resort but was trying to keep it consistent with how I've got Outlook 2003 setup.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As far as I know there is no way to use such MSTs with office 2007, their GP deployment regression should result in several MS employees being shot by fireing squad. I ended up just including it in our Vista image, I think that if you are going to try and use the GP deployment in this mannor then you will need to puch the reg key as it is either MSP or nothing for 2k7 in the world of MS supported 'solutions'.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

meastaugh1 (7th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    As far as I know there is no way to use such MSTs with office 2007, their GP deployment regression should result in several MS employees being shot by fireing squad. I ended up just including it in our Vista image, I think that if you are going to try and use the GP deployment in this mannor then you will need to puch the reg key as it is either MSP or nothing for 2k7 in the world of MS supported 'solutions'.
    Adobe moving away from deployable MSIs was one thing, but for Microsoft to do it is pretty ridiculous. I suspect you're right about having to push it via reg key then. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Can you not use the Outlook switches to import the PRF at logon etc.

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Outlook.exe " /importprf mypreference.prf

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Should be able to but this will require hitting outlook each time the user logs in and will likely reimport over the top of the settings each time even if they are stored. The reg key method only hits the prf when the account is unconfigured on outlook startup.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread