+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Your display does not support protected content in Technical; Hi all ... have just bought some acer exensa 5230's downgraded the first one to XP put on SP3, Klite ...

Thank Post

Your display does not support protected content

Hi all ... have just bought some acer exensa 5230's downgraded the first one to XP put on SP3, Klite codecs etc as I normally do ... when trying to play certain DVD's I get the message

Your display does not support protected content!!

Ive googled and it seems lots of people have the same problem but no answer

Anyone seen this one before?

Thank Post
    Does it have an external HDMI port? Its not to do with the HDMI-CP (content protection) is it? Check for a driver for the display on the Acer site or download from the original chipset manufacturer.

3. Thanks to Jamo from:

Brpilot99 (17th July 2009)

Thank Post
    What's the DVD you're trying to play? Maybe those DVD's have protected content that needs a certain codec to run.

5. Thanks to BBeh from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Just to test maybe see if VLC can play those dvds ( VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player )

7. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    I think I saw this a while back, if I remember 'rightly' the solution was to use something else to play it (PowerDVD or VLC)

9. Thanks to mossj from:

Thank Post

Your display does not support protected content

Thanks for the input people ... Ive been experimenting with various settings and it seems that these laptops will play the video on the laptop screen or the projector but not both at the same time ...!!!!
    All of my others in the school will !!

On a different tack

I got a message on the screen that the optimal res for the laptop is 1280x800 .. I set it at that but the projector threw a fit at that res !! The laptop screen looked great though !!!! So its back to 1024x768 !!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,248 Posts
    I got a message on the screen that the optimal res for the laptop is 1280x800 .. I set it at that but the projector threw a fit at that res !! The laptop screen looked great though !!!! So its back to 1024x768 !!
    It sounds as though the projector doesn't support resolutions that high but as you say, running at 1024 x 768 should be perfectly fine for DVD viewing.

Most laptops in my experience do require you to switch the video output, normally using a combination of fn+F5 for example, then again to reverse. Desktops are definitely better for this application as it just works with a hardware splitter

Thank Post
    cant remember the name of the utility exactly but I know there are a few out there if you google for it you should be able to find one that works that will allow you to set the projector to one resolution and refresh rate and the TFT / monitor at a seperate res and refresh rate

Thank Post
    cant remember the name of the utility exactly but I know there are a few out there if you google for it you should be able to find one that works that will allow you to set the projector to one resolution and refresh rate and the TFT / monitor at a seperate res and refresh rate
    You can do this in Windows anyway?

Thank Post
    Yeah you can do that in Windows.

Isn't this a software restriction anyway?

A lot of DVD software will only allow you to view the DVD on the primary monitor, I think this is because they think that the secondary monitor is almost always going to be a TV or a projector and you wouldn't use one of those unless you were showing it to a big bunch of people (which infringes the license) would you? (!)

Of course, it's up to you which screen you set as the "Primary" so that sort of gets around it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You can do this in Windows anyway?
    I normally tend to use the util as a lot easier as gives you a pop up menu to select which monitor and then from there which resolution / refresh rate

Thank Post
    I normally tend to use the util as a lot easier as gives you a pop up menu to select which monitor and then from there which resolution / refresh rate
    Yes there probably are utilities you can use within the notification area, but Windows does allow it too by right clicking the desktop. Not sure if this would still work if you removed/disabled access to Display Properties in Control Panel?

Thank Post
    Yes there probably are utilities you can use within the notification area, but Windows does allow it too by right clicking the desktop. Not sure if this would still work if you removed/disabled access to Display Properties in Control Panel?
    Which was why I suggested the utility because it can still use the windows API calls even if the display thing is disabled via GPO and if they have enough access rights to the utility it should still allow them to change the resolutions on the monitor / projector.

Worth a shot at least - I know when I was at uni they disabled you from opening or using the cd player in windows etc and had my own one that I made in borland c++ from a tutorial and when I ran that it worked but yet when trying to open the windows in built cd player at the time it refused to open ( obviously had to use the trick of renaming the exe to something that was allowed to run ie calc.exe ) but that was down to how they had configured GPO's at the time
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 17th July 2009 at 12:57 PM.

Thank Post
    It sounds as though the projector doesn't support resolutions that high but as you say, running at 1024 x 768 should be perfectly fine for DVD viewing.

Most laptops in my experience do require you to switch the video output, normally using a combination of fn+F5 for example, then again to reverse. Desktops are definitely better for this application as it just works with a hardware splitter
    Interestingly Ive never had a laptop that had a problem in this area !! They seem to have different ways of controlling the output as you say, some ignore the fnc f5 combo and want you to right click the desktop to get to a change menu. But these are the first that wont allow dual display when playing a movie ... Ive got some old acers that get a bit choppy when running both but they at least let the movie run ... we have them on the projector only and they are fine ... Maybe I got lucky with my choise of manufacturer !!

Thank Post
    sometime going to diaplay properties/settings/advanced/troubleshooting and reducing hardware acceleration to disable all but basic will allow laptops to display on 2 screens at once ive found in the past

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread