+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, Windows Nostalgia - Share it in Technical; I was originally going to post this on a thread about getting hold of Win 7 pre order where someone ...
    Thank Post

Windows Nostalgia - Share it

I was originally going to post this on a thread about getting hold of Win 7 pre order where someone was asking why everyone was in such a hurry to spend their money. This got me thinking about why I have personally put money down to by an OS for the first time in my life.

After the Vista debacle, I never thought I'd be excited about an MS OS again. Being of a certain age, I remember the anticipation surrounding the releases of various versions of Windows over the years and with a couple of notable exceptions, I've been excited to try every single one.

Here then is my potted of history of what got me excited about Windows at almost every version.

• Windows 1.0 - Oooh windows! No apps though.

• Windows 2.0 - Oooh, overlapping windows. Pagemaker! Yay!

• Windows 3.0 - Nice step up from Windows 2.x. Colour! Program Manager!

• Windows 3.1, Workgroups etc. - Mmmm networking, Internet.

• Windows NT 3 - At the time I was not that interested, but that would change.

• Windows 95 - Hugely exciting at the time. I forget how many floppies this came on but at the time it was well worth it. All that desktop customisation - good stuff.

• Windows NT 4 - This came along just in time to save me from years of suffering with Novell NetWare.

• Windows 98 - Smoothing out of the rough edges and a much nicer OS all around. This is what 95 should have been from the start. (as pointed out elsewhere in the thread, R2 was the version to have)

• Windows 2000 - This came along just in time to save me from years of suffering with NT 4. A giant leap forward for Microsoft and a very very solid OS, still running in many places.

• Windows ME - Best left alone although some newer stuff did debut here.

• Windows XP, 2003 - Despite the solidity of Win2K, it was never an exciting user experience but XP fixed all that and 2003 was a good evolutionary step on the server side.

• Windows Vista - Never wanted it, never used it so I suppose I should just keep quiet about it.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts / memories at this exciting time...

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Windows[/ame]
    Last edited by ajbritton; 17th July 2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Added wikipedia link, updated Win 98 note about R2

Thank Post
    The leap from Windows 3.1 to 95 was the best!

I know that people had loads of problems with Windows 98 First Edition but I found it quite stable on my machine at the time.

It's very strange when you load up a VM with Windows 95 and play around with it after all these years.

As for today's OS. I am now using Ubuntu at home but do find I have to use Windows now and then for a few games.

Thank Post
    I remember using Windows 3.11 on my first computer, a compaq with the screen built into the computer! I also remember using DOS alot to boot programs.

The next operating system I used after that was Windows 98, quite a big step up, and I loved it, no more need for DOS, yay! Used that until windows XP came out, never looked back since

Thank Post
    Dos 6.22 brings back loads of memories and still in use in some form or other, as are 95 & 98, Ghost springs to mind

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not really had much experience of OS's before 95, but that worked well enough on my first network. Then we moved to NT4 and it was solid as a rock.

Also learnt an awful lot about Linux at the same time as we moved to a Mandrake linux document and domain server. Also solid as a rock.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton View Post
    • Windows Vista - Never wanted it, never used it so I suppose I should just keep quiet about it.

That's a bit harsh, Vista is effectively a not quite complete WIndows 7. I'm running Vista here because I need 64bit. Yes it's resource hungry, but it doesn't give me many problems.

However Windows 7 looks like it's going to suppass Win95 as the most anticipated Windows OS ever. Lets hope MS can get it right out of the starting gates. I don't remember a Windows OS where they got it right before the first service pack.

As for favourites, it's gotta be windows 2000. True XP has been the king of the desktop for many years now, but I don't see it as having been a big step from 2000. 2000 was the first version of NT that was as friendly as win 9x, XP took that ran with it and took NT into the home.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    As for favourites, it's gotta be windows 2000. True XP has been the king of the desktop for many years now, but I don't see it as having been a big step from 2000. 2000 was the first version of NT that was as friendly as win 9x, XP took that ran with it and took NT into the home.
    Oh I don't know about that. I'd say NT4 was more groundbreaking than 2000. The managability of NT4 was superb, compare that with it's predecessors...

2000 improved on that, sure, but not to the extent that NT4 brought to the game.

Thank Post
    Windows NT 4
    *Shudders*
    It was nice for it's day but it was also such a pain... You had to reinstall the entire OS if you wanted to convert a DC to a member server or a member server to a DC. Annoying.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    *Shudders*
    It was nice for it's day but it was also such a pain... You had to reinstall the entire OS if you wanted to convert a DC to a member server or a member server to a DC. Annoying.
    But what was there before it? Compare it to predecessors...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    But what was there before it? Compare it to predecessors...
    NT 3.5?

Windows 2000 was the big leap for me, group policies and plug and play! (and directx)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    NT 3.5?

Windows 2000 was the big leap for me, group policies and plug and play! (and directx)
    Not comparable IMO. NT4 came with the interface from Windows 95 - more usable by far than any predecessor OS. Also, DirectX was included in NT4...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    *Shudders*
    There was a hack for that which worked quite well - I've still got it somewhere....

I long for the day that OS/2 would be the OS of choice as at the time it pi55ed all over anything MS dished out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    NT4 came with the interface from Windows 95 - more usable by far than any predecessor OS.
    please tell me that's I typo - should have read - "any microsoft predecessor OS"

Windows 95 was MS catching up with BeOS, NeXT, Arthur, Workbench and OS/2. In terms of GUI. Surpassed them all in sale and software support.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    please tell me that's I typo - should have read - "any microsoft predecessor OS"

Windows 95 was MS catching up with BeOS, NeXT, Arthur, Workbench and OS/2. In terms of GUI. Surpassed them all in sale and software support.
    Well that was obvious! This thread is just about Windows

BeOS was *far* superior!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    That's a bit harsh, Vista is effectively a not quite complete WIndows 7.
    Perhaps, but my point is that at the time, I was still happy with XP and Vista didn't bring enough to the party to get me excited, especially considering the resources it required. A different matter today as XP is creaking a bit (although I do still love it).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast