+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Thread, Windows Nostalgia - Share it in Technical; Plus IBM's adverts were better..... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ObFdRhtx5w"]YouTube - OS/2 Warp TV Commercial[/ame]...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Plus IBM's adverts were better.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ObFdRhtx5w"]YouTube - OS/2 Warp TV Commercial[/ame]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    BeOS was *far* superior!
    Back with the typo's - "*is* far superior! -

Any who, back to Windows. Win 3.11 was the first I used. Win95 was a great leap forward in terms of UI and the Win98R2 for stability. That was as good as the DOS based line ever got.

XP was important for the home use, moving to the NT kernel and reasonably well executed. Again SP2 bought great stability. Now we have Windows 7, looking good.

For the rest. It's hard to show any level of enthusiasm for pre 3.1 windows or ME or Vista. At least pre 3.1 they were 'building towards something'. God knows what there excuses are for ME or Vista

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Got 25 mins to waste ?

[ame=http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=4200302832154452778&ei=-TdgSoLPBMXG-Aaf38EX&hl=en]Computer Chronicles: OS/2 Warp (1995)[/ame]

4. 2 Thanks to mattx:

OverWorked (18th July 2009), tmcd35 (17th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Back with the typo's - "*is* far superior! -
    Nah, not any more. Although I am watching the Haiku project keenly.

Thank Post
    95 was the first Windows I had on a home PC then 98SE (very nice from a clean install )

At the time when XP came out I remember thinking how I'd never get to run it as my P166 didn't meet the minimum spec so bought a book on it instead

Then a few weeks later I was given a chuckout Simply PC with no case sides and SIMM RAM slots but it had... a Cyrix 233 on board! 64MB of ancient RAM and a 5 1/4" wide 2GB Quantum HD later I installed XP and it actually ran pretty well considering it was on minimum spec lol. Anyone remember the theme song installed on the original XP release "like humans do" hehe

Also had an old 486 with 24MB RAM I ran Win95 on, changed all the UI to MacOS X style and modded the Start Menu.. Walk button anyone? Need to get the pic of that up at some point

Never liked Vista at any point really, was one of the harshed critics of it then built a new PC Core2DUo, 4GB RAM, gaming graphics so gave it a try on fast hardware ready to be won over... and it still runs like a dog! Never seen an OS with as much HDD thrashing as Vista, it never stops doing *something* and feels so unresponsive... very poor.

7 on the other hand seems to run like greased lightning, been very impressed so far... shame MS never changed the awful wireless settings area (miles better in XP) but apart from that some of the UI tweaks are pretty nifty.

Hope Windows keeps its desktop dominance, definitely not a Linux fan apart from IPCop firewall appliances BeOS was great, had it installed on the 166 and it flew... shame it never took off in the end.

Best OS ever though... Acorn RISC OS... loads from ROM, slick as and it's Acorn! Used to use Win 3.1 on a hardware emulation card as well, ran like a steam train though lol

Last edited by gshaw; 17th July 2009 at 11:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Best OS ever though... Acorn RISC OS... loads from ROM, slick as and it's Acorn! Used to use Win 3.1 on a hardware emulation card as well, ran like a steam train though lol
    Don't go starting a RISC OS vs Amiga OS flame war

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Win3.11 was my first introduction to windows and quickly upgraded to win95 on my IBM Aptiva 486 DX4 100MHz, as I had previously only used DOS for AutoCAD and was primarily an Amiga Workbench user.

Thank Post
    I had this thought a long time ago, that if Microsoft hadn't diversified the PC market (or "screwed IBM", should I say?!) by allowing "IBM Compatible" hardware into the market then we would probably be paying Apple prices for PCs and they would be made exclusively by IBM.

Which would probably mean that Macs would be more popular (because they're far more slick really, even though it hurts me to say so) and most home users would be using some evolved form of the Commodore Amiga! Commodore were at one time very much the kings of home computing IMO, I think the PC was the reason for their demise.

On the actual subject of this thread... I used Windows NT for years on my home computer. It was far more stable than 95 at the time, it felt like a downgrade when I moved to 98se but I had to because I bought a USB scanner!

If they'd just got USB working I might still be using it... but I doubt it. Windows XP is definitely the best Microsoft OS as far as I'm concerned. But then again, I'm using Linux these days which I think is better than the lot of them

Thank Post
    most home users would be using some evolved form of the Commodore Amiga! Commodore were at one time very much the kings of home computing IMO, I think the PC was the reason for their demise.
    That and hilariously bad management. The Amiga was MILES ahead of the PC in the late 80's/early 90's but terrible management choices resulted in the platform stagnating at the worst possible time.
    It's such a shame, if they had survived they would probably be like Apple is nowadays. I really miss Amiga Workbench at times

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The thing is Windows never took off in the home market until '95 was released and brought proper gaming (Direct-X) support to the platform. By '95 the Amiga as a platform had been dead for a good couple of years. Indeed had CBM had anybody working for them with even an ounce of business sense projects like BeOS and AROS would never haver started up. By '92/'93 the market was Commodores to loose, which they ceremoniously did!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ahh, Command and Conquer Red Alert on Windows 95 *arrrrghhhhh!!! (the sound of a soldier being hit by a flamethrower unit)*, Carmageddon and the original GTA.

Those were the days

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ooooh carmageddon - bliss! Remember that on my first 3D card too

For windows though, I only really started using it at Windows 3.0 on the heady heights of 4 colour CGA. Magenta, cyan, black and white - bliss! Almost lifelike! Before that I was strictly DOS. Always really been a PC junkie so never played too much with the amiga kit (although plenty of people I knew, mostly friends of my dads had them and enjoyed showing off the various pinball games). Previous to that it was the joys of Atari ST's TOS (snigger).

NT4 got it's use as my main OS for a good couple of years, that was if my memory serves, about the time of DirectX 3 and C&C / Red Alert. I went from that straight over to 2000, missing out the 98's entirely. 2000 was slated something chronic at the time, in very much a similar vein as Vista, however like NT4 still has pride of place in god knows how many places to this day.

Thank Post
    That Warp advert brought back old memories. I had it when I was at University.

Then I remembered some old jokes:
    OS/2 - Half the Operating System
    MACINTOSH - Most Applications Crash. If Not The Operating System Hangs
    PCMCIA - People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms
    Last edited by kearton; 17th July 2009 at 09:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Got 25 mins to waste ?
    Yes, I have!

Thanx for the link Matt. Very, very interesting. I've never use OS/2 but I must say that chronicals ep has me sold!

Loved the invite to talk to the program on line - Compuserve "GO CHRONICALS"

OS/2 was way, way ahead of it's time. In fact I can't think of those OO features being implemented as well in any current major OS. And the speech recognition, even today that level performance is a £80 add-on to either Windows or Mac OS and I think IBM are still the leaders in the field!

Finally, I loved the prediction near the end - "Users have problems double-clicking to launch programs. I find the idea of the Launch pad (single click - aka apple dock) very useful, and that is probably something Microsoft might come out with". Well 14 years later and Windows 7 is being launched with, yep you guessed it a new taskbar featuring Launchpad/dock style single click application launching - love it!

Thank Post
    I must be one of the babies here then.

First got a glimpse of Windows 95 (I think) at my dads work when I was around 6. Played Galactics the whole time.

Then we got our own PC in the winter of 98 so had 98SE. I had grown to 8 and a half and can remember the screams of my dad when I shifted the taskbar to the left of the screen. In the proceding years I would then outdo my dads skills on the PC and the tables turned where he would (and stil does) ask me for help.

In 2004 I finally persuaded him to get XP, still on the same 98SE machine though. A 400Mhz Processor, 320MB SDRAM and a 15GB HDD was the power.

Then another PC was bought with XP and this was where my knowledge took off. I done so much to that poor machine between installing Server 2003 and a local domain for the house and slapping group policies on the parents.

Then came Vista, and boy did I love that thing, gorgeous interface and (at least for me) great performance, enojed using it alot and still will with my student license.

Been using WIndows 7 since it first became err avaialble to the public and love it. Very much as someone on here mentioned Vista Gti.

I am now 19.

Must say I have enjoyed my travels thorugh Microsft OS's and hope for a good few more down the road.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast