+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Dell WOL Utility in Technical; I'm trying to get WOL working in school and tried various WOL utilities without any luck. We use Dell computers ...

Thank Post

Dell WOL Utility

I'm trying to get WOL working in school and tried various WOL utilities without any luck. We use Dell computers in school and been told you need to use the Dell Utility and wondered if anyone had a link to this tool as the only thing i could find didnt have anything WOL related in it as far as i could see.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    WOL is WOL are far as I am aware. You should be able to use any utility to wake up your machines at a scheduled time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have FOG here, it's built in WOL uses 'etherwake' to do it.

ether-wake(8): send Wake-On-LAN Magic Packet - Linux man page

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Silly question I know, but have your switched on WOL in the BIOS?

Thank Post
    right i just tried wol.exe again. i tried it on a little test network we have which is just some old servers hooked up through a hub. it doesnt work with Dell GX60's but it does work when i plugged in a Dell optiplex320.

it doesnt work however over the school network which i assume is because you're throwing in switches and it isnt as straight forward.

So any ideas of what i need to check in order to get it working over the entire school network and as a longshot any ideas of how i can get it to work on these older GX60's (ill try updating the firmware now) as thats really the reason i wanted to do it as they take so long to boot up everytime someone switches them on?

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by farquea View Post
    I'm trying to get WOL working in school and tried various WOL utilities without any luck. We use Dell computers in school and been told you need to use the Dell Utility and wondered if anyone had a link to this tool as the only thing i could find didnt have anything WOL related in it as far as i could see.

We use LANview which has a WOL feature built in.

We also use a wide range of different Dell models, and have no issues with any of them not being able to be, err, WOL'd

There are settings in the Dell BIOS which you may need to change.

I'll help where I can.

Thank Post
    On our GX260's it's listed in BIOS as Remote Wakeup. (There is also another option for starting the computer at a fixed time every day)

Otherwise, worth checking the advanced settings of the network adaptor under computer management. Usually some options there for WOL (if supported)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    it doesnt work however over the school network which i assume is because you're throwing in switches and it isnt as straight forward.

So any ideas of what i need to check in order to get it working over the entire school network and as a longshot any ideas of how i can get it to work on these older GX60's (ill try updating the firmware now) as thats really the reason i wanted to do it as they take so long to boot up everytime someone switches them on?
    I would check for 'features' on your switches that may be interfering with the WOL packets. Also getting Wireshark out and sniffing the network at various points for WOL packets might give you some clues.

Thank Post
    Before we donated them to our feeder primary schools, our 100 or so GX60s all worked fine when sent 'magic' packets from a utility we downloaded from the www years ago. The only problem we had was when their internal 'coin' battery went flat and they lost the BIOS settings for remote wakeup...

Thank Post
    Ok got them working, was a power setting in windows on the nic that needed enabling. So with that working is there any specific program we could use to turn on all computers in the school that grabs mac addresses and saves them so that WOL can be scheduled to run automatically each day at a given time?

As for working out why it doesnt work over the proper school network that might be a little more tricky as we are run by a off site support company (hopefully not for too much longer tho) and getting them to do anything simple usually takes them about 2 months so asking them to look into this, well maybe by xmas we could expect it to be done.

theeldergeek
    Ok got them working, was a power setting in windows on the nic that needed enabling. So with that working is there any specific program we could use to turn on all computers in the school that grabs mac addresses and saves them so that WOL can be scheduled to run automatically each day at a given time?

LANview will capture MAC addresses and can be output to a .xls which I guess would make it easier to copy/paste into some sort of script

Unfortunately, i'm not aware of it being able to do multiple WOL that are scheduled.

I use LANview to turn on entire suites during the holidays when I want to do some work, only takes a couple of minutes to type what is required for each machine.

Thank Post
    is there any specific program we could use to turn on all computers in the school that grabs mac addresses and saves them so that WOL can be scheduled to run automatically each day at a given time?
    I don't know of one, so what I have done is to export the DHCP settings into Excel & turn them into a number of WOL batch files, one per room. I then add a scheduled task to execute the files at different times each day to suit the staff.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    I don't know of one, so what I have done is to export the DHCP settings into Excel & turn them into a number of WOL batch files, one per room. I then add a scheduled task to execute the files at different times each day to suit the staff.
    Could you post an example of a WOL batch file, i'd find this very useful instead of manually typing in each computer name to WOL with LanView.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 1,008 Posts
    not sure if its been mentioned above but afaik it needs to be enabled in the BIOS on the computer in question ( already mentioned ) and the network card needs to support it as well because its the packets that are sent to the network card that wake the computer up.

You can programatically do it by using the mac address of the network card and a sequence of packets after that ( If I remember correctly - think I tried to make a vb6 utility for this but never finished it )

http://www.matcode.com/wol.htm

As per the link above and use a batch file to program the above with the correct switches etc and it also states on the page the requirements which also includes a power supply thats at least 2.01 I think
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 8th July 2009 at 03:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    Could you post an example of a WOL batch file, i'd find this very useful instead of manually typing in each computer name to WOL with LanView.
    Nothing very flash....

c:\software\wolcmd 000874df62fa 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255
    c:\software\wolcmd 000874df6315 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255
    c:\software\wolcmd 000874df59c0 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255

wolcmd was the program I downloaded from the www years ago.... I am afraid I have no idea where I got it from, but this looks remarkably similar

Depicus

16. 2 Thanks to broc:

mac_shinobi (8th July 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread