+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, IE8 32 bit problem in Technical; I've got IE8 installed on Vista 64 bit, and the 64 bit version of it works without a hitch. The ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

IE8 32 bit problem

I've got IE8 installed on Vista 64 bit, and the 64 bit version of it works without a hitch.

The 32 bit program won't even load - most of the time. Sometimes I get a tiny flicker of a window before it crashes out again. I can't find any errors logged in event viewer, and it doesn't crash out with an error. I wouldn't mind as I have a selection of other browsers to play with, but I particularly need to install a 32 bit ActiveX control which won't work under the 64 bit browser.

Microsoft's troubleshooting guide is a little useless, as all it suggests is to reinstall or reset the settings. Since it won't load IE in the first place resetting the settings isn't an option.

Anyone got any ideas? I've tried several full reinstalls of IE, but uninstalling doesn't roll back to IE7 as it should. Instead it leaves me with no IE at all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    If you right click the IE icon and choose 'Start Without Add-ons', does this make any difference? Have you tried disabling any AV software you have or uninstalling any toolbars? Have you tried Safe Mode with Networking to see if this makes any difference?

3. Thanks to Michael from:

jamesb (8th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tried all of the above unfortunately. Same thing each time.

I do now have a workaround so its not as urgent, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    What is your workaround out of curiosity? Realistically if you still cannot get it working, I'd be tempted to backup your data, format and start again. It could well be something at registry level which is creating the problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just knocked together a low-specced VM with Windows XP, and installed the ActiveX control on that. Works like a dream.

I'm on just a workstation, and we don't have network drives, so the idea of backing up over a terabyte of various test VMs onto external storage, then having to reconfigure all of my lovely diagnostic tools, makes me cringe in fear. Plus having to then go to our tech people to get them to book my machine in for a reformat and reinstall (they're busy at the moment, which means it could take some time).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread