+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, Proxy problems in Technical; As an experiment, move the Computer Object into a new OU, don't create a GPO and block Policy Inheritance. Once ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    As an experiment, move the Computer Object into a new OU, don't create a GPO and block Policy Inheritance. Once the Computer Object is moved in AD, run gpupdate /force then reboot the machine. Are the proxy settings still greyed out at this point?

If they are then I'd say there is something a bit odd going on. Out of curiosity also are you using the laptop 'as supplied' or do you format and create your own generic images? I find creating generic images gives better performance and removes any of the carp many OEMs install by default.

Thank Post
    Check the following

Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative templates\Internet Explorer\Disable changing proxy settings

Needs to be set to disabled or Not Configured

Policy\User Configuration\Administrative templates\Internet Explorer\Disable changing proxy settings

HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

If the option is locked (greyed out) it will have the value of 1....changing the value to 0 immeadiately unlocks each setting

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    I think I am a bit confused
    We want the proxy configured when the computer is logged on to the network - so I don't want to change anything that will affect that. So I don't want to be changing any policy settings I wouldnt have thought?
    It is just when they are logged on locally, and want to access the internet.
    I cannot find a setting called 'control panel under HKCU as described above

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    I'd put my money on these entries:
    • O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    • O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    I think this may contain your solution How do I restore security settings to the default settings?.

This is just my hunch, but I can't see anything else that I think is suspect in the HijackThis log.
    This didn't work I'm afraid

When I look at local policies there are no proxies set so it is coming from somewhere else!
    Last edited by witch; 12th January 2010 at 01:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Have you tried my suggestion Witch?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Check the following

Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative templates\Internet Explorer\Disable changing proxy settings

Policy\User Configuration\Administrative templates\Internet Explorer\Disable changing proxy settings

It says that the precedence is the default domain policy - even though I am logged on locally...if I disable it doesnt that mean it wont pick up the domain policy when it is logged on to the network?
    Actually - and here is the problem - I CANT disable it as it is greyed out

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    The problem that I've had with it is the HTTP/HTTPS traffic scan misbehaving and preventing web pages loading - it has a list of programs to consider browsers and treats them differently to other apps when scanning. I don't know why or how it causes a problem but it was just a suggestion to investigate - on some machines here when it's thrown a wobbly disabling the HTTP scan element brings back connectivity
    When you check these settings are you logged on with the account you intend to access the internet with? i.e the one with the greyed out proxy settings

Thank Post
    Hiyah from sunny Christchurch !!!

Just seen your post and thought I'd post a couple of ideas .....

I use the default domain policy to send out the proxy setting in User settings Internet Explorer Maintenance. I could create another GPO to do the same job of course .....

No ticks in EI ... Auto detect settings isn't needed ....

Is the P'c picking up group policies generally? Dont forget to put your local DNS number in the DNS box under IP settings of the Pc ... Without this the logons can take longer and the grouppolicy processing will time out ... Anything in the event viewer?

Just a few thoughts

Cheers for now
    Brian
    Courthill and
    St Josephs

Thank Post
    I use auto proxy detection, then it works at home because it finds no auto proxy server. Except if you're using ff/chrome which don't notice the network's changed and check for new proxy settings.

Thank Post
    I may have misread this (and after the day I've I may have done!) but if all you want is the ability to turn off the proxy away from the network

try this thread Proxy On Proxy Off App I use autoit and have some shiny proxy on/off buttons on users desktops.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    I may have misread this (and after the day I've I may have done!) but if all you want is the ability to turn off the proxy away from the network
    try this thread.
    Yes, this is the sort of thing I want to use, but at the moment none of these sort of things are working - they seem to but when you look in the proxy bit, the tick is still there and the box is still greyed out!!
    That's the problem, and in fact exactly where I started with this. When I was originally handed the laptop I happily installed a 'proxy on, proxy off' tool and when it didn't work - the can of worms was open and all this started....

So..I have found a sort of work around. I have managed to force Firefox to NOT pick up the proxy settings from IE (no, I don't know why it was either) so at least the teacher concerned can use Firefox at home.
    But I am still left with the problem of why the proxy bit is greyed out even when off the network. I can modify the registry to get rid of the actual proxy IP but not the tick. I have tried ALL the suggestions on here and I am very grateful.

Thank Post
    I've not read through the entire thread so apologies if this has already been suggested or if you know this isn't the case, but are you sure this is machine related. I had a similar problem once where issues manifested themselves on a particular machine. It turned out that the PC seemed to corrupt the profile of everyone who logged on, and the problem then transferred itself to another machine by corrupt profiles. It acted like a virus but we never found any virus activity.

Does the same teacher have the same problem if they log on somewhere else? Do all users on this laptop have the same problem? I assume you're using roaming profiles? If you make sure all profiles are deleted and delete the users profile from the server, do they still have the same issue?

Probably unlikely as I think you said this is a new build, but it's worth a shot!!

Thank Post
    Is the proxy configured on the current group policy under computer or user? If it's currently configured as computer then this will override all user configured proxy settings.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Yes, this is the sort of thing I want to use, but at the moment none of these sort of things are working - they seem to but when you look in the proxy bit, the tick is still there and the box is still greyed out!!
    That's the problem, and in fact exactly where I started with this. When I was originally handed the laptop I happily installed a 'proxy on, proxy off' tool and when it didn't work - the can of worms was open and all this started....

So..I have found a sort of work around. I have managed to force Firefox to NOT pick up the proxy settings from IE (no, I don't know why it was either) so at least the teacher concerned can use Firefox at home.
    But I am still left with the problem of why the proxy bit is greyed out even when off the network. I can modify the registry to get rid of the actual proxy IP but not the tick. I have tried ALL the suggestions on here and I am very grateful.
    I guess another work around is to make the user a local admin on the machine. Can't remember if power user is enough.

Thank Post
    And we are back again....
    Same problem, different angle

Teacher laptop - they use them 'locally' when in school (yes, I have TOLD them to log on to the domain to no avail). They are already administrators
    I need to change the user on a laptop. Not a Tosh this time, an HP Compaq
    Happily created a user locally - NO connection to internet or domain or anything.
    Went to put the proxy in and lo and behold, the damn thing is greyed out, this time WITHOUT the proxy settings, so something like proxypal wont work, as all it does is put in or take out the tick, not the actual numbers.
    This is ridiculous
    I just want to understand what is going on here so I can sort it out

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast