+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, Proxy problems in Technical; Open the run dialog and type " gpedit.msc ", that should allow you to check local policies. Off the top ...
    TheLibrarian
    Open the run dialog and type "gpedit.msc", that should allow you to check local policies.

Off the top of my head I can't remember when the policies are stored in the registry, if you can find the key (probably HKLM\Software\policies\...) and remove them manually?

Might be worth checking for browser hijacks / browser hardening software (Spybot etc.).

Group Policy should not be hitting any local users, though a forced removal of a PC from the domain has been known to leave some settings behind. Maybe remove the PC from the domain, delete the machine account from AD, re-add the PC, move the account back to the correct OU, force update group policy (remembering the replication delays).

I usually force the group policy update with the following command "gpupdate /force /boot /sync".

My initial checks would be browser hardening software / browser hijack, then local policy, then the registry, finally the removal from the domain.

Thank Post
    Alternative route of attack, if proxy settings is greyed out, can you give him a reg file to import to HKCU which will change them regardless - or a VBS file? Access to the settings in IE is just a convenient(ish) way to change them. I use a proxy on/proxy off VBS that was posted here for all our local teacher accounts so they can switch it on onsite and off when they get home...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    And once again this thread is resurrected...
    This is now on a teacher's laptop - a Dell Latitude D505 - old machine.
    Basically the teacher can use the machine logged on to the network at school - or he can log on locally but the proxy is in so that he can still see the internet.
    However, when he logs on at home he can no longer untick the proxy box as he used to do as it is all greyed out. This is a relatively new thing - it used to work fine.
    He has tried Firefox and Chrome, and even though they are both set to connect directly to the internet, they do not work either.
    Anyway, I have tried all the settings as mentioned here but they have not worked, or else have worked until he has logged on to the network at school, whereupon the proxy settings appeared (even when logged on locally) - greyed out again.
    I have searched for a solution but can find nothing - PLEASE can someone give me a pointer or two?
    (he is an administrator on his local machine)

Thank Post

Angry

Please Please could SOMEONE give me a hand.
    I found a reg setting which took out the actual proxy IP but the whole thing was still greyed out. But when I logged back on to the network the proxy went back in.

There must be SOMETHING I can do? Help????

TheLibrarian
    Can you run HijackThis HijackThis - Trend Micro USA and post the log? Hopefully we may have more luck with this.

Thank Post
    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
    C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Activ Software\Activdriver\ActivControl2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNo tifier.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apple Computer\DVD@ccess\DVDAccess.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\Dot1XCfg.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = MSN.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = Bing
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = Bing
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = MSN.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyServer = 10.150.193.75:8080
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - c:\program files\real\realplayer\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.2.4204.1700\s wg.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Dictionary Compression sdch - {C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24-76C02E2E7C4E} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\fastsearch_B7C5AC242193BB3E.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ActivControl] C:\Program Files\Activ Software\Activdriver\ActivControl2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpwareSE4] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanSoft OmniPage SE 4.0-reminder] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\Ereg\Ereg.exe" -r "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\Ereg\ereg.ini"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNo tifier.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: DVD@ccess.lnk = ?
    O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind...?1227102118133
    O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = uptonjun.local
    O17 - HKLM\Software\..\Telephony: DomainName = uptonjun.local
    O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: Domain = uptonjun.local
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c99079510f360) (gupdate1c99079510f360) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: NOD32 Kernel Service (NOD32krn) - Eset - C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32krn.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless SSO Service (WLANKEEPER) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
    O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

--
    End of file - 8275 bytes

Thank Post
    If you use the reg setting to turn the proxy setting off and on does it work, as in does it turn off the proxy setting?

Thank Post
    It deletes the IP from the box but the whole thing remains greyed out and when I reboot the machine (on or off the network) it comes back.
    Anyway, the other browsers, Chrome and Firefox, apparently have no proxy but can't connect except at school so the proxy is hidden in there somewhere!

Sorry, gotta go - will pick this up Mon

Thank Post
    Could it be a service thats not running - Windows Firewall/ICS service maybe? Could be worth comparing the services list with a simlar laptop that works...?

I freely admit I'm guessing - I've never heard of a problem like this before!!

TheLibrarian
    I'd put my money on these entries:
    • O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    • O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    I think this may contain your solution How do I restore security settings to the default settings?.

This is just my hunch, but I can't see anything else that I think is suspect in the HijackThis log.

Thank Post
    We had this with w98, with poledit (I think that's what it was called) the w98 equilalent to group policies, an IEAK policy had been set up but was running separately, so whatever I changed on the computer reverted back at the next logon. Any chance there's a legacy from IEAK anywhere?

Thank Post
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nod32kui] "C:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe" /WAITSERVICE
    If you have NOD32 on there, try changing the HTTP traffic filtering options. I've had some very weird effects when it comes to web browsing on my admin PC as NOD tries to decide what's a browser/web traffic and what isn't, then gives up and does neither...

Thank Post
    I'll certainly look into those entries on Monday, thanks thelibrarian.
    There shouldnt be anything left over from w98 as the server was new and the system rebuilt just over a year ago. But I suppose it could have been copied over - I remember poledit but would have to google IEAK as I would have no idea where to look anymore!

Ref: NOD32 - never ever had a problem with it - either here with Server 2003 or my other job with Server 2008. Why would that affect the proxy settings?
    I can't see what has changed to do this as up until recently I did not have this problem. I certainly dont have it in my other job.
    Thanks guys - keep the suggestions coming in!

Thank Post
    Try using RSOP.msc to see what policies are being applied when logged on as the affected account (since it is an administrative account).

Might also be worth looking at the group policies in GPEdit.Msc to see who settings are applied to- I know it's not default (Domain Users would normally be default IIRC) but I imagine it is possible to set a group policy to apply to "Everyone" and have the same settings applied to local users.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Ref: NOD32 - never ever had a problem with it - either here with Server 2003 or my other job with Server 2008. Why would that affect the proxy settings?
    The problem that I've had with it is the HTTP/HTTPS traffic scan misbehaving and preventing web pages loading - it has a list of programs to consider browsers and treats them differently to other apps when scanning. I don't know why or how it causes a problem but it was just a suggestion to investigate - on some machines here when it's thrown a wobbly disabling the HTTP scan element brings back connectivity

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast