+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Server Rebuild in Technical; Just installed 2k3 SP1 on my new poweredge 2800. I'm going to copy all the stuff from my existing main ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Server Rebuild

Just installed 2k3 SP1 on my new poweredge 2800.

I'm going to copy all the stuff from my existing main server that I want to keep onto the 2800.

Then make the 2800 a DC and presume if I then demote the existing DC this will give me the option to transfer all roles and global catalog master to a different DC which will be the 2800. Or is it better to transfer the roles before this stage?

Then I intend to rebuild the old DC and reintroduce it back into the domain as a DC. Is there going to be any problems if when I rebuild it I call it the same name? Shouldn't be any objects in AD relating to the old sid etc... when it's removed or will there be?

Trouble is at the moment it's had all the software installations from it so if I call it something different these definately won't work whereas keeping it the same they may still not work.

Originally I was going to try repartioning it but I feel a fresh o/s install would be better.

After I have got them both up and running going to then install the R2 upgrade on them.

Ben

Thank Post

Re: Server Rebuild

It shouldn't make a difference whether you copy your data before or after promoting your new server.

When you dcpromo your old server, it will make it a member server. You should then drop it from the domain, wait a while and delete its computer account if this doesn't happen for you.

If you have used your old server as an install point for GPO installs, these will probably go tits up, regarless of the name after the rebuild. I would re-create these GPOs to be on the safe side.

Thank Post

I would Transfer all the roles first before demoting the PDC. Saves any hassle if something goes wrong.

Dont forget to transfer the Schema Master and the Global Cat.

We are actually doing a similar thing at the moment with our Admin fileserver. Ours has the addition problem of our old FS being a 2000 box and the new FS is going to be 2003.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    If you have used your old server as an install point for GPO installs, these will probably go tits up, regarless of the name after the rebuild.
    This is not usually a problem. As long as the installation path remains the same.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread