+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Cluttered vs non cluttered desktops in Technical; I go for uncluttered when the computer is fist set up but staff can change what they have on their ...
    R0M
    Thank Post
    I go for uncluttered when the computer is fist set up but staff can change what they have on their desktop. I personally have 5 Icons: My Computer, Firefox, Putty, Remote Desktop, a short cut to an excel spreadsheet I use all the time and the Recycle bin.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,774 Posts
    Another argument in favour of the uncluttered dektop...

It makes it quicker to spot those 500 squillion Gbyte files that the teachers have saved to their desktop once they start moaning about slow login times

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I only have 4 icons on my desktop.

1. My Computer
    2. FireFox
    3. VNC
    4. Remote Desktop Connection

on my Mac i have one icon.
    I would love to be that organised. I have an awful habit of saving to the desktop so I know where everything is. Every now and again I have a sort out and move things around.

Even on my Mac I save to the desktop. It annoyes me. I do find it quicker to access stuff rather than go hunting in MyDocuments or Documents.

GJE

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    I would love to be that organised. I have an awful habit of saving to the desktop so I know where everything is. Every now and again I have a sort out and move things around.

Even on my Mac I save to the desktop. It annoyes me. I do find it quicker to access stuff rather than go hunting in MyDocuments or Documents.

GJE
    Well i do have a bad habbit of saving loose files in the documents folder. Its like my bedroom looks tidy from the outside until you see all the crap under the bed.

Thank Post
    Staff/student desktops contain the standard MyDocs link, and that is it. The All Programs shortcuts are sorted very logically, and fairly quickly the Recently Used list on the Start Menu is sufficient for most if not all users.

Our old network (C2.4) had icons and sub-folders of icons all over the desktop and it was impossible to find anything amidst all the other icons. I have been asked to put "key shortcuts" on the desktop, but don't want to open those particular flood gates.

My own desktop has a few shortcuts to key network locations and files which I'm opening several times a day, but is otherwise clutter-free. Everything else is in the Recently Used or accessible via Vista's search. Home PC's desktop is totally clear.

I toy the idea of giving staff access to the Quick Launch, but never really get round to looking at how to make that work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Uncluttered. Our users (both staff and students) have nothing on the desktops - everything arranged and categorised on the Start menu.

Thank Post
    Uncluttered.

School desktops have a solid colour (one for students, another for teachers), and (from memory) Recycle Bin, IE, My Computer and My Docs with a cut-down start menu grouping programs into Literacy, Numeracy etc.

School laptops have a "normal" Start Menu and when I give them out have just the Recycle Bin on the desktop + the "school" colour. Teachers and kids can do what they like thereafter (and do).

My own school laptop (XP) has a desktop with my cat reclining for wallpaper and no icons, but I rarely see her as I tend to have all windows maximised and use the pinned Start Menu items/Launchy to open programs.

My home desktop (Vista) follows the same plan as my laptop with a different wallpaper and a launcher in the sidebar for my "frequently used" programs/the Start Menu to launch programs. The sidebar has a clock, a memory and CPU usage gauge, the launcher, weather, scrolling RSS feeds and a lock/restart/off button panel.

Thank Post
    As a standard setup for PCs, there's about 4 icons on the desktop - the usual suspects plus Word and a link to our IT Services Intranet Portal. Background is a nifty looking blue abstract one with our logo and some BGInfo bits in the bottom right corner... looks very neat

On my personal PC... two 22" screens running at 1680x1050 filled with icons! I go through a LOT of files and easiest place is dumping it on the desktop... working in Photoshop is the worst for this

There's also a few folders called "Clearup" and when I feel like "cleaning" everything goes in there

Thank Post
    Uncluttered - I only have the Recycle Bin on mine, everything gets pinned to the start menu and the taskbar in Win7.

Pupils & Staff get nothing on theirs - All icons hidden and no permissions to save anything to the desktop..
    Backgrounds set with BGInfo to display their Display Name from AD, workstation ID and the school logo..

I always think its better to have a standard desktop throughout the school

Will be looking at creating a Win7 Logon Background for the school as well.

For an example of cluttered - see either DB or ZH's [laptop] desktop (forget which one it was now from the conference!) - virtually every pixel had some file/shortcut/folder, etc on it!!

Thank Post
    for the kids, redirected, read only and cluttered with stuff they need to go straight to for their curriculum.

Staff, please themselves with the advice that the more they put on, the slower their logon will be!

mine, train crash

Thank Post
    Thanks for the opinions, will propose it to the 'gods' to trial in a suite .

The initial thought was we currently stick every main Office icon on the desktop but since double clicking saved documents opens Word up anyway etc!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post

For an example of cluttered - see either DB or ZH's [laptop] desktop (forget which one it was now from the conference!) - virtually every pixel had some file/shortcut/folder, etc on it!!
    DB had his covered, a man from my own heart I certainly have one a bit like that, hence two big 19" TFTs

Thank Post
    Cluttered.

No. Wait. I mean uncluttered. I've always implemented a logical start menu that's differentiated for different groups but follows the same structure for everyone. Staff can then 'customise' their own desktop. If redirect the start menu but make sure it's on a different share to the desktop e.g \\server\sharedstart and desktops on \\server\userprofiles then when you drag icons to the desktop they copy by default. If they were on the same share then they move by default, and they only have write access to the start menu so that fails.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    The staff like icons on the desktops so that the children can access the programs quickly, which makes for a cluttered desk top

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The staff like icons on the desktops so that the children can access the programs quickly, which makes for a cluttered desk top
    Which is fine until there are so many icons on the desktop that it takes them longer to find than using the Start Menu.

We do find that some Littlies initially have issues with the Start Menu, however, as they don't have the fine motor control in their hands to move the mouse across to a sub-folder without also moving it up or down too, thus moving to a different sub-folder. They learn soon enough, though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast