+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Profiles in Technical; Mandatory for student accounts to keep the user experience constant (used to use HDGuard to do this before... what a ...
    Thank Post
    Mandatory for student accounts to keep the user experience constant (used to use HDGuard to do this before... what a nightmare!) Also combined with redirected Start Menu, Desktop and wallpaper etc set via BGInfo

Staff have had roaming since before I was here so can't be taken away now but tbh roaming ones are a bloody pain when they corrupt, which they seem to like doing on a fairly regular basis

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Mandatory for the kids with redirected start menus, desktops and user areas. Also use bginfo for other stuff.

Recently changed staff from roaming to mandatory and its been so much better. No more corrupt profiles and login times have improved around 300%. Most people can logon in 20 seconds now. I simply create a roaming profile when the user is new, configure outlook, smart board, office and acrobat. Then make the profile mandatory read only. I also changed lots of the group policies to stop silly baloons popping up or first time usage dialogues.

Works well and makes a huge difference over wireless. The staff don't know the difference.
    Last edited by zag; 7th July 2009 at 01:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Why do most of you use mandatory profiles?

Here, all staff and student have roaming profiles and not any one of them are using 3MB - all under 2 1/2 meg.

For admin, I've redirected the Application Data, Desktop, My Documents, Favorites to their user area. Startmenu is redirected from a share.

Teaching staff and students have redirected start menu and desktop from a share. Their Application Folder, Favorites, and My Documents are redirected to their user area.

My school and the network has had no problems this way.

Sure, the app data folder is over 50MB+ in size but like I said, profiles are all under 3MB.

Logging on times are less than 15 secs; just the way my NM and I like it.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=Chuckster;356237]Why do most of you use mandatory profiles?

For admin, I've redirected the Application Data, Desktop, My Documents, Favorites to their user area. Startmenu is redirected from a share.

Teaching staff and students have redirected start menu and desktop from a share. Their Application Folder, Favorites, and My Documents are redirected to their user area.

Hi Chuckster

How does this affect your logon times?

I take it your users are able to save favourites and changes to apps they make and it saves them?

Did you use GPO to re-direct?

Thanks

Chris

PEO
    Thank Post
    mandantory here for staff pupils and technician accounts.. profiles are backed up both on and offsite like everything else.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ceebster View Post
    Hi Chuckster

How does this affect your logon times?

I take it your users are able to save favourites and changes to apps they make and it saves them?

Did you use GPO to re-direct?

Thanks

Chris
    My logon times are definitely under 20 seconds. Under 15 seconds for Teaching staff and students, and 20 for admin. Our cabling is all Cat5.

I used a script to redirect the Favorites folder to users home area, i.e. My Documents\Favorites

I used a GPO to direct the Application Data folder to users own area so that whatever changes they make will remain that way. This is true for every user in school. (My Documents\Application Data)

However, I must tell you that if you try and set a desktop wallpaper and you have the Application Data folder redirected, the wallpaper doesn't get set and users are left with a bright blude desktop wallpaper.

The only way I could combat this was to use BGInfo to set users desktop wallpapers at logon and this has given me no problems.

Hope this helps.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    I used a GPO to direct the Application Data folder to users own area so that whatever changes they make will remain that way. This is true for every user in school. (My Documents\Application Data)
    Can you give me a quick screen shot of how you do this?

I'm in GPO at the moment and have found the place to redirect, but totally confused how to target the users home directory. Do I choose simple or advanced?

Thank Post
    It depends on how you want it configured.

I chose Advance because I've based it on the security groups that I've created and put users in.

I have a security group called Teaching Staff, Non-teaching Staff, Pupils, SIMS Users etc.

In each security group has all the relevant users in there.

On my server, I simply don't have all users plodded in just the one folder. They're broken up into sub folders, e.g:

\\servername\users$\staff\teaching staff
    \\servername\users$\staff\non-teaching staff
    \\servername\users$\staff\admin
    \\servername\users$\pupils
    etc

In a GPO I redirect using the advance option based on the security group and location of users home folders.

The reason why I've done it this way is because I didn't want many different GPOs doing the same thing, hence the above and hence I went for the advance option.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuckster; 16th July 2009 at 03:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Personally I have worked with both Fat and Thin, but its Fat FTW for me everytime!

D

Thank Post
    Looking through this I just had a quick check to see where AppData was redirected to... just seen it was set to land in the profile folder

No wonder the profiles are always so huge and take ages to logon aaargh!

(it wasn't me who set these up!)

As for thin vs fat... I'm still watching VDI with much interest... apparently there's a new protocol being developed that will finally sort out the graphics issue with thin clients once and for all...
    Last edited by gshaw; 17th July 2009 at 11:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    Personally I have worked with both Fat and Thin, but its Fat FTW for me everytime!

D
    have you worked with a system that has fat and thin clients??

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12