+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, MS Schools Agreement - Server Products in Technical; Originally Posted by Theblacksheep I have 8 2008DC lic's for 4 2-core blades (ESX4), the lics have never been moved. ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    I have 8 2008DC lic's for 4 2-core blades (ESX4), the lics have never been moved.

49/50 MAK keys used. I dont understand!
    It's not a software limit, it's a license term limitation. MAK keys just get used up each time you activate, thats the only way to use them up.

What I was alluding to was this: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ef-Jan_09.docx

Microsoft waived the restriction on a number of application licenses, such as exchange, sql etc but not the OS.

You have to assign the base license to a physical box, vmotion (or equivalent, such cold migration) within 90 days and you need another OS license. If you don't plan on migrating any machines (HA/balancing included) within 90 days then there is no problem. If you do plan on migrating more frequently then with anything other than datacenter you get stuck.

I have around 15 copies of virtual windows running, to vmotion freely at will I need either enough datacenter cpu license or 90 windows server license (15 for each host).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busybub View Post
    Eh?

Two of my sites have between 75-80 workstations, with Servers under Select licensing.

???
    300 points is for Schools Agreement. Which can be made up by clients/servers, if you only started with client license then the minimum number would roughtly be 100 unless you made additional choices for fewer machines (like adding project, so 75 machines etc). As long as you get to that 300 it doesn't matter how many clients, although there is a limit to how many products are available.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    It's not a software limit, it's a license term limitation. MAK keys just get used up each time you activate, thats the only way to use them up.

What I was alluding to was this: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ef-Jan_09.docx

Microsoft waived the restriction on a number of application licenses, such as exchange, sql etc but not the OS.

You have to assign the base license to a physical box, vmotion (or equivalent, such cold migration) within 90 days and you need another OS license. If you don't plan on migrating any machines (HA/balancing included) within 90 days then there is no problem. If you do plan on migrating more frequently then with anything other than datacenter you get stuck.

I have around 15 copies of virtual windows running, to vmotion freely at will I need either enough datacenter cpu license or 90 windows server license (15 for each host).
    Oh I see... I'm good on the licences, simelar amounts of VMs to you too.... just ran out activations and come across an annoying 4 day MS email system despite being told I can just call and request more.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wagnerk View Post
    Contact the company that you buy your MS licensing thru. We pay under £80 per year for the Enterprise edition of MS Server (with 2008, it allows us to run up to 4 VM without having to buy another licence )

You can see here for an example of prices.

-Ken
    Hi Ken,

Do you know if you would you still be compliant if say you wanted to run 7 VMs on a single physical host but had the paperwork for 2x Enterprise licences? I know there is datacentre for unlimited VMs but I think this was stupidly expensive last time I checked..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    300 points is for Schools Agreement. Which can be made up by clients/servers, if you only started with client license then the minimum number would roughtly be 100 unless you made additional choices for fewer machines (like adding project, so 75 machines etc). As long as you get to that 300 it doesn't matter how many clients, although there is a limit to how many products are available.
    Strange!

Never had more than 80 computers, been on School Agreement for the last 4. Never had anything other than XP, Office, and Desktop CALs. Servers have never been on SA.... Microsoft have never moaned (other than when payment is overdue)

Oh well, Will worry about it if they ever kick up a stink!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    I know there is datacentre for unlimited VMs but I think this was stupidly expensive last time I checked..
    Datacenter is under £150, but licenced per cpu...
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 6th July 2009 at 08:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Datacenter is under £150, but licenced per cpu...
    Is that bought outright or under lease/schools agreement? We have 8 cores to licence...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Is that bought outright or under lease/schools agreement? We have 8 cores to licence...
    Your 8 cores are likely 2 CPUs. With Datacenter you're licensing the number of sockets not the number of cores .

9. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Oops_my_bad (6th July 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12