+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Yacapaca crashing Internet Explorer. in Technical; Originally Posted by Michael Does this problem occur with any other Flash websites, such as youtube or BBC for example? ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Does this problem occur with any other Flash websites, such as youtube or BBC for example? Do you use a proxy server by any chance? Have you tried from school, then from home using a laptop for comparison purposes?
    Michael can you sketch out a plausible scenario whereby the proxy could be to blame? I think we have established that it is not in FN-GM's case, but I'm trying to educate myself about the issue generally.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Something i should have put. I have set the site to bypass the proxy and set the firewall to give a direct connection to the site.

so it is not going through any proxy or any filtering at all.

Thank Post
    Reason for my question is that it's important to us that Yacapaca play well with proxies. You have a good last-mile connection, but that's rare. Too many schools still connect to the internet via two yoghurt pots and a piece of string; if 200 kids are going to simultaneously take the same quiz, containing the same 10x1M sound files and/or 20-30 images, a proxy is essential.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Reason for my question is that it's important to us that Yacapaca play well with proxies. You have a good last-mile connection, but that's rare. Too many schools still connect to the internet via two yoghurt pots and a piece of string; if 200 kids are going to simultaneously take the same quiz, containing the same 10x1M sound files and/or 20-30 images, a proxy is essential.
    Proxies can create all kinds of problems but generally speaking most websites work fine. I would say secure websites (such as banking) can be more problematic than unsecure sites. I don't think specifically this is the source of the problem in this case, but proxies are common in schools these days. Most people don't have a proxy at home, so it's just something else to try out. Typical problems with proxies could be a corrupted cache, overloaded (if the spec is low), or possibly DNS related.

In saying that, most if not all proxies do not cache streaming content, and typically Flash is used in this way as with youtube and other sites. In this case a huge internet connection is essential as 20 pupils wanting to watch the same clip will be downloaded 20 times over the WAN.

Thank Post
    In saying that, most if not all proxies do not cache streaming content, and typically Flash is used in this way as with youtube and other sites. In this case a huge internet connection is essential as 20 pupils wanting to watch the same clip will be downloaded 20 times over the WAN.
    So far, we have resisted teacher requests to include video inside Yacapaca quizzes. You have just given me one more reason to continue to do so.

Thank Post
    @Yacapaca - To be honest if I created a product and wanted to include video streaming, I would host it internally at the site or make it downloadable only. With servers typically running at 1000Mbps and workstations 10/100Mbps, there should be absolutely no problems at all with Flash content.
    Proxies can however be configured to download streaming content, but my understanding is that it doesn't adhere to standard internet protocols, which is why it may do more damage than good.

@FN-GM - The only other idea I can think of is try allocating a new profile to your pupils and see if this makes any difference. Name the profile differently (add a 1 on the end or something), so workstations are forced to download the new profile and not use the locally cached version.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Very True Michael..

I dont know, but if the video streaming is going to be huge.. cant you create something similar to clipbank where they have all of the video's locally hosted on the clients site? so then all of the video's are locally hosted (updated daily/weekly) and everything else can stay how it is?

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I doubt it will be profiles as we use local ones. I have created a new default one and still no joy

Thank Post
    I dont know, but if the video streaming is going to be huge.. cant you create something similar to clipbank where they have all of the video's locally hosted on the clients site? so then all of the video's are locally hosted (updated daily/weekly) and everything else can stay how it is?
    Well if you decided hypothetically to host the video clips internally (the most resource intensive aspect), you may as well host the whole lot internally and just have a website promoting the product to new customers. Updates could be scheduled overnight when the network activity is low.
    Initially the overheads may be greater shipping pre-configured hosting machines to customers, but longterm it will be cheaper as you'd need quite a few servers to host to many customers and someone full time to manage the whole thing.

I doubt it will be profiles as we use local ones. I have created a new default one and still no joy
    Maybe try and find someone else who uses Yacapaca and see if they have similar/same problems. I think we're getting to point where we've exhausted all possibilities.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well if you decided hypothetically to host the video clips internally (the most resource intensive aspect), you may as well host the whole lot internally and just have a website promoting the product to new customers. Updates could be scheduled overnight when the network activity is low.
    Initially the overheads may be greater shipping pre-configured hosting machines to customers, but longterm it will be cheaper as you'd need quite a few servers to host to many customers and someone full time to manage the whole thing.
    Yeah exactly, the server it would require has not got to be anything high end so to speak... and as you say if it updated over night it would be much faster, this is how clipbank do it and it works very well.. linux based as well so it lowers the cost even more.

Something to think about i suppose.

James.

Thank Post
    FN-GM, do either of the following help? I strongly suspect you will have done both already, but who knows....
    1. Add yacapaca.com to the Allowed List for cookies
    2. Add https://yacapaca.com to the Trusted Sites list. Note no 'www.' here.

There is also a theoretical possiblity that the particular quiz you are testing contains a corrupted image or sound file that is tripping you up. Which specific quiz have you seen the problem on? What happens if you try a quiz from a completely different course? Or one that has no sound or image files? It's highly implausible that this could be the cause, but then we have eliminated all the plausible reasons already.

A final thought: you could use Fiddler to inspect exactly what was happening just before your browser crashed, then send the log to us for analysis. I have not used it myself, but have seen it recommended.
    Last edited by Yacapaca; 6th July 2009 at 02:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Hello Yacapaca,

We are currently experiencing problems using your web based test. The following error message prompts when two or more students try to use the service - 'Flash has detected a problem on the network. Please check your internet connection has it appears to be running very slowly'.

I have to say our internet connection is a 100mb link and with a class of 30 trying to use Yacapaca, it only utilised 13% of this bandwidth, so hardly a bottle neck issue.

Please find attached a screenshot of the error message.

We have tried in different classrooms and computers but still same result.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    That's the trouble with error messages. Half the time they point completely the wrong way. All that Flash really knows is that the download timed out. It has no way of knowing why.

Copied from: Quizzes get stuck whilst loading - Yacapaca wiki

Quizzes can get stuck whilst loading for a lot of different reasons. Most of them can be summed up in two words: Internet Explorer. Switch to Firefox or any other modern browser, and your problems will most likely go away. Assuming that is politically impossible, work your way down this list of possibilities and you will probably be able to resolve the problem.

* the Group Policy is blocking some Yacapaca functions on student computers. This can result in all kinds of weird, intermittent behaviour. If you use Microsoft products on your network, do these first:
    o Add yacapaca.com to the Allowed List for cookies.
    o Add https://yacapaca.com to the Trusted Sites list. Note no 'www.' here.

* the school's proxy server or filter is blocking images or (particularly) sound files such as MP3s. If this is the case, you will still be able to load quizzes containing only text.

* same as above, but the ISP's filter. We have never seen this with commercial ISPs, only Local Authorities, Grids for Learning, Broadband Consortia, etc.

* Flash needs re-installing on the problem machine. Flash can be a bit fragile, and sometimes simply reinstalling solves the problem. Typically affects individual computers, not a whole room-full.

* the school's network has stalled or is temporarily overloaded. This should only affect you very briefly. If you are stuck in front of a 'loading' icon for over a minute, it is definitely not this.

* if one particular quiz refuses to load even on your home computer, but all others load with ease, there may be corruption in the quiz file. Unless you are the author, report it to us.

Thank Post
    the Group Policy is blocking some Yacapaca functions on student computers. This can result in all kinds of weird, intermittent behaviour. If you use Microsoft products on your network, do these first
    I can't think of a GPO which can do this, but an easy test would be to logon locally to a machine (as an administrator) and repeat the same test using the same internet connection. If the problem still exists, the probability is that it isn't a GPO problem.

same as above, but the ISP's filter. We have never seen this with commercial ISPs, only Local Authorities, Grids for Learning, Broadband Consortia, etc.
    I have to agree, most Authorities use proxy servers these days and but at times they can most definitely be more trouble than they're worth.

Flash needs re-installing on the problem machine. Flash can be a bit fragile, and sometimes simply reinstalling solves the problem. Typically affects individual computers, not a whole room-full.
    Deploying the latest MSI is the easiest/best way forward. You can download the MSI and other plugins within the File Library.

the school's network has stalled or is temporarily overloaded. This should only affect you very briefly. If you are stuck in front of a 'loading' icon for over a minute, it is definitely not this.
    Possible however I'm sure they'd be many, many more important problems to fix

if one particular quiz refuses to load even on your home computer, but all others load with ease, there may be corruption in the quiz file. Unless you are the author, report it to us.
    I would say this is more than likely the reason(s) for crashing or loading incorrectly. The proxy copy could be corrupt or indeed the local cache on the machines too. Very difficult to pin down, but then again, I presume you have a testing process before publishing new quiz files?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Hi,

ICT are using a site called Yacapaca. Its a site used to test the students.

It is crashing IE7 & 8 half way through a quiz. It might be a group policy issue but its hard to drill down as it is very Intermittent.

Has anyone else has trouble with this site?

Thanks
    Yes, we also have IE7 and are getting it crashing sometimes. Other times it is fine. I currently have Flash 10.1 (the latest version) happily installed, but with YacaPaca is sometimes crashes. Are there any solutions have appeared in the year or so since this thread was created?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast