+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, Encryption software for USB drives in Technical; Originally Posted by PiqueABoo Why not just buy an encryting penstick - they're very cheap now and even PC World ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Why not just buy an encryting penstick - they're very cheap now and even PC World sell them.
    The one I tried was an absolute PITA to use, having to browse to the location of the encrypted volume, choose a drive letter to mount it as, and then click 'mount' - far too many steps. I've got a different one on order which I'll try out...

Thank Post
    Mine shows up as a small read-only USB drive in Explorer, you go there launch the idiot-friendly app where you enter the password, then the second big encrypted USB drive shows up in Explorer. No password recovery though - get it wrong too often and you're out.

[You can just have it autorun the password prompt app, but these days having USB autorun on is a really stupid idea.]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Mine shows up as a small read-only USB drive in Explorer, you go there launch the idiot-friendly app where you enter the password, then the second big encrypted USB drive shows up in Explorer. No password recovery though - get it wrong too often and you're out.
    I've just bought one like that for testing, a Kingston Data Traveler Locker+ - works exactly as you describe, although it can take over 20 seconds for the drive to be usable, which isn't really viable.

The "regular" Locker has an encrypted partition on it, rather than whole drive, so you would only need to wait for it if you wanted the encryption, but that doesn't work with Macs.

Why can't this be simple?!?!

Thank Post
    Hi guys,

Have you looked at Safestick (Military Grade encrypted USB Sticks) and Safe console (Management and auditing software). Really rugged product can be dropped, stood on, left in water and set on fire and the data is still safe.

Safestick:• No admin right required – user plugs and play
    • AES 256 and RSA 1024 military grade encryption
    • Robust design – They will work if left in water, Dropped from great heights, Heavy pressure applied to the unit.
    • No user knowledge required – Hardware encrypted. Plug in the sticks, set the password and the stick will encrypt “on the fly”.
    • SafeStick will work with all Security solutions currently in place as a standalone unit.

Safe-console:• Remote kill or Disable USB sticks when lost anywhere in the world from the central management system.
    • No admin Rights are required – Plug and Play (Windows, Mac’s, Linux and VMware) no software install required.
    • Full audit trail - details what file types are copied to the Safe Stick. Details include files by MIME type, User ID, PC name, time and date. Will also Record what sticks are active, what sticks where lost, who has ownership of what sticks.
    • Logging of User, PC name, IP address and time when Safe Stick is locked or unlocked. Can help track lost Safe Sticks!

If you need anymore information or an evaluation unit please contact me craig.tomkins@probrand.co.uk.

Thanks

Thank Post
    A question I had with encryption for USB sticks was if I setup Windows 7 enterprise with Bitlocker to go and I enforce a policy so that for every USB stick a password is required and bitlocker manages this. What would happen if the USB is taken to a computer which is running Windows XP or Mac OS. does the encryption only activate for windows 7 machines?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,076 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    A question I had with encryption for USB sticks was if I setup Windows 7 enterprise with Bitlocker to go and I enforce a policy so that for every USB stick a password is required and bitlocker manages this. What would happen if the USB is taken to a computer which is running Windows XP or Mac OS. does the encryption only activate for windows 7 machines?
    For XP and Vista, you would need to use BitLocker To Go Reader to read data from the drive. This utility is automatically installed on the drive by Windows 7 when you encrypt it. For all other OSs, the drive would just show up as unreadable.

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

ranj (21st July 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123