+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Backup Exec Running 4th & 5th Differntials on the same Day! in Technical; HI, I'm hoping someone can help me. Our network engineer has gone traveling for 2 months so i'm have been ...
    djh

Thank Post

Backup Exec Running 4th & 5th Differntials on the same Day!

HI,

I'm hoping someone can help me. Our network engineer has gone traveling for 2 months so i'm have been left to sort out the backups. We recently brought a new backup server with Backup Exec 12.5 which he setup before he went.

Came in this morning and it seems that 2 of the differentials ran at the same time last night. Currently we have the following setup:

1 Full backup every week rotating every month, which runs friday night and then duplicates to tape.

1 Differential which runs every night and again rotates every month. 1 backup job setup for each day e.g Week 1 Monday, Week 1 Tuesday, Week 1 Wednesday, Week1 Thrusday... Week 2 Monday, Week 2 Tuesday etc.

This goes upto week 5, HOWEVER if there is no week 5 in the month then it seems that the week 4 and week 5 differential run on the same day (the 4th day of each month and the last day of each month).

Is there anyway around this? Any help would be appreciated. I hope I have explained it well enough...

Cheers,

Dan

Thank Post
    I suppose that your engineer may have valid reason for having a job for each week.

However, I would have had 1 Differential job that was scheduled to run on all mon, tues, wed, thurs regardless of whether the month has 4 or 5 of them.

The same applies for the full that runs on the Friday.

One full backup that is scheduled to run on all fridays regardless. This is configurable in the schedule part of the job.

Then use the template provided in the program to create a duplicate to tape job that runs when the friday full is finished.

hope this helps

how many jobs do you see in the job list on the job monitor page?

BoX

djh

Thank Post
    Hi,

I think the reason he did it is so we can keep a differential of say 4 weeks ago, so if a students comes in and wants to restore something from that far back we can wack a tape in and then use the differential on the server to do this. So data does not get overwritten until say week 1 comes round a month later.

Jobs: There are 27. Please see image.

http://www.westberks.org/GroupDownlo...ourceID=178009

Dan

Thank Post
    sorry, cant see the image.

but, 27 jobs!

you dont need one job per tape. you just need to schedule a differential to run on each m,t,w,t and tell it to do so even if there are 5 weeks.

edit the job

go to schedule---> edit schedule details -----> recurring week days,

the choose the days m,t,w,t and make sure it has tick for 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and last.

do the same for the fulls too.

BoX

djh

Thank Post
    http://www.westberks.org/GroupDownlo...ourceId=178009

Try that again now.

So even though I only need one job, will this still allow me to retrieve data from upto 4 weeks ago? Also will it save each differntial to a different location on the server, e.g will it keep it in 20 different folders (4 differentials a week X 5)
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Last edited by djh; 25th June 2009 at 02:44 PM.

Thank Post
    So even though I only need one job, will this still allow me to retrieve data from upto 4 weeks ago? Also will it save each differntial to a different location on the server, e.g will it keep it in 20 different folders (4 differentials a week X 5)
    Thanks,

sorry for the delay in replying,

OK so you you backup to disc, not tape.

yes, one job.

set your backup retention to four weeks, this will prevent it from being overwritten for the period specified, the same goes for the fulls too.

it does not need seperate locations if it does not overwite as it (the software) is aware of which data is in which backup file. just make sure you have enough space to store all the data.

full x 4
    diff x 4 x 4

you also say that the backups go to file on a server, a different server i hope, in a different building too. otherwise you might just be better off using tapes or just using windows shadow copy.

BoX

djh

Thank Post
    Thanks box, yeah basically we run to disc first, then sunday morning it duplicates the full backup to tape.

will give this a go and let you know how i get on.
    Dan

djh

Thank Post
    Hi Box,

I think i've set it up right, we will soon see tonight...1 question in the job properties it has 3 options 'when the job begins:' 'Overwrite media', 'append to media overwrite if no appendable media is availble' and 'append to media, terminate job if not appendable media is available'. Which one of these do I want?

Thanks,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread