+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Clever Students - Need help in Technical; password the bios, changed settings in bios to refuse cd/dvd/usb boots, disable cd/dvd/usb in windows via GPO and then reset ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    password the bios, changed settings in bios to refuse cd/dvd/usb boots, disable cd/dvd/usb in windows via GPO and then reset passwords for all and palm it off as maintenance. if anyone needs anything on usb stick, then do it for them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by karl View Post
    Ok so i feel a little stupid doing this, but we have some extremely clever students, who run rings around my IT Staff
    This sounds like as much of an educational issue as a technical one - your brighter pupils are bored, give them something more interesting to do. It sounds like an arms race you and your IT staff are not likely to win - 15 year olds aren't necessarily brighter, but they are unencumbered by needing to work for a living or do housework, so they potentially have more resources to pour into this than you do.

Try and avoid developing an us-verses-them mentality - I'd recommend Corey Doctorow's Little Brother as a good example of how not to handle the situation. They sound like bright children, so let them boot whatever OS they want off CD or USB, tell them how to connect it to their network file areas and give them shell accounts on a server somewhere. Then let them get on with fun stuff like figuring out how C compilers work so they can write their own games.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    May I suggest a different and possibly simpler angle to come at this from?

Why do the students have unsupervised access to the machines?

They didn't in my last school, and that was a grammar school with (mostly) well-behaved students. I'm not going to go as far as to say this isn't a technology issue, but it is at least as much a supervision issue as a technology issue. The science department wouldn't let them use their labs unsupervised, so why should there not be supervision when students are using the computer labs?

I realise it may well not be your decision, and if that's the case, management need to realise that technology is not a babysitter, and asking you and your staff to be a substitute for real supervision is not acceptable, or effective. At the very least, you should pursue non-technical solutions to this in tandem with your technical approach.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Try and avoid developing an us-verses-them mentality - I'd recommend Corey Doctorow's Little Brother as a good example of how not to handle the situation. They sound like bright children, so let them boot whatever OS they want off CD or USB, tell them how to connect it to their network file areas and give them shell accounts on a server somewhere. Then let them get on with fun stuff like figuring out how C compilers work so they can write their own games.

--
    David Hicks
    Actually thats not a bad idea. Harking back to when I was at school (ok we're talking up to 16 years ago) we first figured out you could copy command.com over renamed as notepad.exe - run notepad and we'd have full access via the command prompt. (win 3.11). Many hours of virtual pool and DOOM ensued, however soon after that I got access to a sixth-former friends account which had pretty much all that access anyway - and toys to play with like Turbo Pascal. Myself and a few friends actually enjoyed being creative with that - and it turned out to be very constructive, as a couple of years later we were using it ourselves in A-Level. Certainly worth a go - let them put their talents to good use, even if they don't realise how much good it might do for them

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12