+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, MSi Installation Failure Problem in Technical; I created an MSi to install 2Simple French and another for 2DIY, The DIY is fine but the french one ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy MSi Installation Failure Problem

I created an MSi to install 2Simple French and another for 2DIY, The DIY is fine but the french one is now running at every user login on the laptops. I have been messing around for ages and have lost the original entry in the GPO (the folder and Msi are still in place)

The installation fails because it tries to create an icon on the desktop. I have changed all permissions on that folder and no difference!!!

The MSI package will install on each laptop when logged in as the manager.

I have cleared the local profile even renamed the NTUSER file on the server.
    I guess my question is can I cancel a msi install once it has been created?
    As I said the entry in the GGP has been deleted but it is still trying to install.

Thank Post
    Hi you can cancel the msi install by removing the msi file from the group policy that is being used to apply it.

find the msi in the gpo right click I think of the top of my head it is All-tasks chose the top option.

In regards to 2simple. I have installed quite a bit of this most of it these days comes with an msi file that can be used to install the program through group policy. if not try concacting the software vendor and see if they have an MSI for that piece of software. the y may or may not be able to help.

this would be the easiest way.

Thank Post
    You may have some GPO setting that disables users to add or change items on the desktop rather than it just being permissions. The easiest way round is to recreate the MSI and delete the desktop item it creates while in the middle of the snapshot. I don't know what sotwware you used but generally they are before and after snapshots so in the middle delete the icon.

Thank Post
    How is the software being deployed is it being deployed at the user level or at the computer level?

Thank Post
    unfortunately it is user level. I have tried again with a new msi from 2simple and got that right installed at computer level as the laptop booted. The problem I have would appear to be the original msi that I set at user level (never again) It keeps trying to install the 2french even though the later msi has already installed it successfully.

Thank Post
    Have you removed this user level msi deployment from the gpo. Remove the file from the gpo and then gpo. also have you done a gpudate /force on one of the computers.

Thank Post
    I have the same sort of problems with some MSI's My desktops come from the server so I don't want the MSI to install any shortcuts .... I use Orca to edit out the line that puts the shortcut onto the desktop so that when the MSI runs it just installs the programme but no shortcuts ... I then add the shortcut to my redirected desktops ...

Just out of interest .. I always install via the computer side of the GPO ... and just add the PC's that I want the gpo to effect ... Is there an advantage in doing it from the user side?
    Cheers

Thank Post
    Is there an advantage in doing it from the user side?
    we advertise software for laptops as all depts do not require the same sort of level of software distro that the curriculm PC's need. But obviously other schools have differing requirements for use of laptops.

Thank Post

MSIs

Hi

Just to confirm that yes, we do provide MSIs for all our programs. We have also created a set of MSIs without shortcuts because of the problems described below

Dan

Thank Post
    The following may help. I spotted it in a web manual I'm reading:

You can enable 'verbose' MSI logging. This can be enabled on the client by creating the following Registry value:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows\Installer
    REG_SZ: Logging
    Value: voicewarmup

This will create log files in the %temp% folder (\Windows\Temp for standard Group Policy MSI deployment. The users’ own temporary folder for manual MSI deployment). This following document explains this in detail:

How to enable Windows Installer logging

After this setting has been enabled, reboot the PC, and allow Windows to attempt to MSI installation again. When this process has completed (or nothing has happened) log into the machine and check the log files created in the \Windows\Temp folder.

If this technique does not reveal the cause of the problem it may also be useful to enable ‘verbose’ logging for the Windows Group Policy engine. Please remember that this is an advanced technique and it may take some time to decipher the log files. You can enable this logging by creating the following registry value. It may also be necessary to create the Diagnostics key if one is not already present.

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics
    REG_DWORD: AppMgmtDebugLevel
    Value: 0x4b

After this setting has been enabled, reboot the PC, and repeat the installation process described above. The Group Policy engine will create a file called Appmgmt.log in the C:\Windows\Debug\Usermode folder. This is further explained here:

Troubleshooting Program Deployment By Using Verbose Logging

NB: You may also need to create the Usermode folder if it does not already exist.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread