+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Network topology mapping in Technical; Hi there, I know this has been asked a few times on here, i've checked out the similar threads but ...
    Thank Post

Network topology mapping

Hi there,

I know this has been asked a few times on here, i've checked out the similar threads but nothing seems to have met my requirements

I'm after a topology mapping program that will do everything (or similar) to what "Edraw network diagram" does, but with more to it, i want it to have all the functionality that Edraw has but automatically pick up the PCs on the domain with the ability to drag them where i want them rather than having to add them in one by one.

Im looking to make a fairly in depth network map of every PC on the network with the correct naming, at the moment PCs names are a bit bizare and with room names being moved about with new buildings being built i could do with a live updating system for the PC names so i know what is moving where and what needs changing etc

on a side note in my hunt for something like that i found out just how awesome the spiceworks program is, give it a try if you haven't!

Cheers

Thank Post
    LanTopolog does a basic mapping of a network, as long as your switches are set for SNTP. You can then use something like Visio to do a proper pretty picture.

If you leave LanTopolog running with the default settings, it will re-scan your switches twice a day so keeping the network map up-to-date. It's not perfect, but it's free!

Cheers, Andy E.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    on a side note in my hunt for something like that i found out just how awesome the spiceworks program is, give it a try if you haven't!
    I beleave there beta testing network mapping atm, have you checked that out?

Thank Post
    The Dude does a good job of mapping, again only if SNMP is enabled on the switches.

MikroTik Routers and Wireless

Thank Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread but Spiceworks is great for this- just using it myself now

Thank Post
    from the SofTool 2010 exhibition of russian software in Moscow I have heard about the "10-Strike LANState" and "Network Diagram" programs. they can draw network maps automatically or you can add computers and draw lines manually. Or you can replace computers on the map anywhere you want. Well you can do everything you want on your map. But LANState has wider functional that you may need. Its program to monitor your neywork AND to create a network map. "Network Diagram" is to create a network map only. This is what I know. For more information you'd better to visit their website
    Good luck

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,995 Times in 934 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd still plump for The Dude. It'll map your network (with a bit of dragging around to tidy up) and still give you live SNMP info (and reporting/alerts) from connected devices within the diagram.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread