+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Flip video cameras - won't save videos to PCs in Technical; Hello all, We have 15 of the 2GB Flip video cameras (fortunatley supplied with the latest firmware and video software ...

Thank Post

Flip video cameras - won't save videos to PCs

Hello all,

We have 15 of the 2GB Flip video cameras (fortunatley supplied with the latest firmware and video software as some seem to have had problems with earlier versions, Flip share video application unexpectedly quits - FixYa)

Pupils cannot save their Videos, I have checked the permissions and we do not use disk quotas.

Software installs as Administrator.
    Log in as a Pupil, click on Edit for a video, Save Now, Create New Albulm, this all works
    it creates the Flip Video Library & Prefs folders and the album folder in the Pupil's home folder.
    However when I click Save I get:

"The Program is having trouble saving your videos because there is not enough free space on your hard dirsk to store the video files. You currently have 0 KB of available space, but 4291 KB is needed to store videos you selected. Please free up"

I'm assuming it needs access to the CODEC or a folder for the conversion process, anyone know which I need to adjust the permissions for? I have had a look though using ProcMon and filtering but cannot see anything specific. It does make use of the files on the camear itself as well but pupils have access to these and if they want can create files and edit them - joy.

The Pupils have all the the permissions except Full Control over thier folders.
    The drive storing the Pupils home folders has 60GB of free space.
    The Client PCs are Windows XP Pro with SP2, HP d230MT (Celeron 2.4GHz, 768MB RAM, 40GB HDD)
    connecting to a 2003 R2 SP2 DC.

Thank Post

Not permissions

This software does not support UNC paths for the Home folder - below is what tests I carried out to reacht his conclusion:

I have ruled out permissions. I granted Full Access from the root of C to Pupils and this had no effect.

Mandatory Profiles are in use so I created a new pupil with a local profile - this has had no effect.

I forgot to mention that WinSuite AD was in use (o' the shame) - which I have removed. This has
    had no effect. Re-ran previous tests to come to this conclusion.

The Home folder is redirected and mapped as H. I made the testpupil account use a local home folder,
    this allowed the software to save.

I then tested this as the Administrator account, first with a local Home folder - this worked.

I then re-assigned my Home folder to a share on the Server using a UNC path - re-opened the software -this failed to save as before.

I then re-re-assigned my Home folder to a mapped H:\ drive and not a UNC path - re-opened the software and it successfuly saved.

Thank Post

The Fix - Group Policy adjustment

The Curric Users Group Policy folder redirection for My Documents is set to the standard:

\\%HOMESHARE%%HOMEPATH%

As the Home folder is always going to be H:\ in this School I have changed it to "H:\"
    for the Home Folder, this should resolve the software not supporting UNC paths.

For such a great product it is a shame that the Software lets it down.

4. Thanks to Hobett from:

kaphc (23rd June 2010)

Thank Post
    Hi Hobett

Just wanted to say thanks for your insights into this. I have found the software disappointing in this respect as well.

I was trying to save the video files onto the network and encountered similar problems. I eventually found the saved files in "My Documents" and copied them up to the network in the end.

Maybe these devices are marketed at home users more - it's a shame 'cos ours in school is cracking! I want one of my own now as well :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread