+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Windows Thread, folder not visible except via command line in Technical; All I wanted to do was copy the contents of a usb drive to a pc hd for a backup. ...
  1. #1
    rocknrollstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    435
    Thank Post
    387
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    folder not visible except via command line

    All I wanted to do was copy the contents of a usb drive to a pc hd for a backup. I used the following batch file, so that I didn't have to use Windows GUI which takes ages:

    set params=/D /E /C /F /H /K /Y /I
    set SOURCE=I:\
    set DEST=C:\freecom__backup
    xcopy "%SOURCE%" "%DEST%" %params%
    pause
    Now, the folder c:\freecom_backup can be browsed via the command line, but simply isn't visable in Windows Explorer. I have set "View Files and Folders" in the tools-->folder options-->view tab to be visible (see attached), so it should be working and visible in Explorer. Also, I was able to set the folder as a shared folder, but it can't be viewed on the network either.

    Attached is a photo of proof: the folder can't be seen in Explorer, but can via command prompt. Note that this photo is showing the folder as a mapped folder, as the screen shot was taken from a different computer. Same thing shown on actual computer though!

    Any thoughts on why I can't see the folder?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,037
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 908 Times in 712 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    270
    This is going to sound really weird probably, but i have seen this happen with folders in the past!

    opening the USB using Linux or OSX and i bet you will be able to see that folder!

    If so, i would copy the folder delete it of the drive and then copy it back again

    James.

  3. Thanks to EduTech from:

    rocknrollstar (13th June 2009)

  4. #3

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,034
    Thank Post
    852
    Thanked 2,663 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    766
    Could it be marked as a protected system folder as the screenshot did not reveil whether the sow protected os files box was checked or not.

  5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

    rocknrollstar (13th June 2009)

  6. #4
    rocknrollstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    435
    Thank Post
    387
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Could it be marked as a protected system folder as the screenshot did not reveil whether the sow protected os files box was checked or not.
    Turns out that it is a protected system folder. Question is, how do I change it to a normal folder? And why did it become a system folder in the first place?!

    I've set admin permissions on the folder, and tried to make it not-read only, but it still looks like a system folder (the icon is lighter and almost see through).

    Thanks for your help.

  7. #5

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,034
    Thank Post
    852
    Thanked 2,663 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    766
    It will probably have the system attribute set which may have copied over from the source via the command, You should just need to use the attrib command to reset the attributes of the folder:

    You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista

    Code:
    attrib -S -H c:\freecom_backup /S
    Last edited by SYNACK; 13th June 2009 at 02:02 PM.

  8. Thanks to SYNACK from:

    rocknrollstar (13th June 2009)

  9. #6
    rocknrollstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    435
    Thank Post
    387
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    It will probably have the system attribute set which may have copied over from the source via the command, You should just need to use the attrib command to reset the attributes of the folder:

    You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, or in Windows Vista

    Code:
    attrib -S -H c:\freecom_backup /S
    Thanks SYNACK, I gave this a go, but got a file not found error (see attachement). Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #7


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    4,687
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 794 Times in 714 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    Could be wrong but it looks like you've got two underscores in your path.

  11. #8

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,037
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 908 Times in 712 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    270
    Just curious, if you take the tick out of the tickbox for "hide protected operating system files" does this then allow you to see the folder?

    James.

  12. Thanks to EduTech from:

    rocknrollstar (13th June 2009)

  13. #9

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,034
    Thank Post
    852
    Thanked 2,663 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    Thanks SYNACK, I gave this a go, but got a file not found error (see attachement). Any ideas?
    I agree with kmount above, upon closer inspection it looks like you have two underscores in the foldername rather than the one that was in the command line above so something like:

    Code:
    attrib -S -H c:\freecom__backup /S
    or

    Code:
    attrib -S -H "c:\freecom__backup" /S
    if that does not work try removing the /S switch.

  14. #10
    rocknrollstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    435
    Thank Post
    387
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Just curious, if you take the tick out of the tickbox for "hide protected operating system files" does this then allow you to see the folder?

    James.
    James, the only way I can see the folder is if I have that tickbox ticked. It is definitely some sort of system folder, as it looks ghost-like. Not sure how it got like that!

  15. #11

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,037
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 908 Times in 712 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    James, the only way I can see the folder is if I have that tickbox ticked. It is definitely some sort of system folder, as it looks ghost-like. Not sure how it got like that!
    Oh right, it must say "show protected Operating System Files" in XP then, i looked on windows 7.

    Synack post should do the trick though.

    James.

  16. #12
    rocknrollstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    435
    Thank Post
    387
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I agree with kmount above, upon closer inspection it looks like you have two underscores in the foldername rather than the one that was in the command line above so something like:

    Code:
    attrib -S -H c:\freecom__backup /S
    or

    Code:
    attrib -S -H "c:\freecom__backup" /S
    if that does not work try removing the /S switch.

    Solved! There are 2 underscores, which was a problematic typo. However, the command
    attrib -S -H "c:\freecom__backup"
    worked (only when I took off the /S).

    Thanks very much for your help SYNACK, kmount and James.

    Cheers

  17. #13

    AngryTechnician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,730
    Thank Post
    698
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Rep Power
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    And why did it become a system folder in the first place?!
    Because you used xcopy with the root of a drive (I:\) as the source. The root directory of a drive is treated as a system directory, so your destination inherited that attribute.

  18. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

    rocknrollstar (13th June 2009)

  19. #14
    rocknrollstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    435
    Thank Post
    387
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Thanks AngryTechnician, that's really useful to know.

    Little by little I seem to get there, wherever 'there' is....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. NTBackup - Command Line
    By dave.81 in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 7th May 2008, 09:46 AM
  2. Office Command Line ID
    By alan-d in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23rd April 2008, 10:51 AM
  3. Command line enviroment for pupils.
    By Teth in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 16th January 2007, 01:17 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10th January 2007, 02:55 PM
  5. Command LIne
    By wesleyw in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th October 2006, 11:10 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •