+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Adding Printers on Winsuite Computer in Technical; Hi All - this should be a simple one.... I want to add a printer to a classroom of computers. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Adding Printers on Winsuite Computer

Hi All - this should be a simple one....

I want to add a printer to a classroom of computers. the pinter is networked and goes through a print server. the computers I want this printer added to are windows XP and running winsuite. If I add the printer as a domain admin it only appears for the domain admin, if I install on a local admin it only comes up for the local admin. the last printers I installed I had to remove the computers from the domain and add the printer then reattach to domain... now that doesn't work - the only way I can see of getting the printer to show now is to installed the printer onto each computer and not have management over the print ques

doesn't anyone know a better way other than destroy all printers or all users?

Thanks,
    Dave

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we've got a script that adds the printers on startup.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you have Windows 2003 r2 then check out printer deployment through AD. If not I find the best method is with a script full of rundll32 commands:

Code:
    rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /c\\<computername> /n\\<server>\<printershare>
    Changing for the name of the computer you are installing the printer on, for the name of your print server and for the name of the shared printer you want to add to the computer.

I usually put these in .bat files, one for each suite. Run the .bat file once from any computer and on the next restart the suite should have the printer available to all users.

To remove the printer change the '/ga' to '/gd' ('global add' and 'global delete').

Edit: The above command is case sensitive - 'PrintUIEntry'

4. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

DAckroyd (12th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    it add certain printers, depending on the workstation name...

6. Thanks to Little-Miss from:

DAckroyd (12th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    If you have Windows 2003 r2 then check out printer deployment through AD. If not I find the best method is with a script full of rundll32 commands:

Code:
    rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /c\\<computername> /n\\<server>\<printershare>
    Changing for the name of the computer you are installing the printer on, for the name of your print server and for the name of the shared printer you want to add to the computer.

I usually put these in .bat files, one for each suite. Run the .bat file once from any computer and on the next restart the suite should have the printer available to all users.

To remove the printer change the '/ga' to '/gd' ('global add' and 'global delete').

Edit: The above command is case sensitive - 'PrintUIEntry'
    sorry that is the other way I have tried - the first way and all computer names are correct and printer shares are right also - thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread