+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Printer Problerm in Technical; Hi i have a hp printer that is connected to the network, however all of a sudden the printer has ...

Thank Post

Printer Problerm

Hi i have a hp printer that is connected to the network, however all of a sudden the printer has stopped workin??? i can ping the printer ip address and i get replys back fine i also can get into the web interface and print off printer information from the web interface however when i try to print a document or even a test page it will wait in the print que for a while and then say error printing this is very strange??? please help

thanks in advanced

Thank Post
    Have you tried restarting the printer spooler service?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Is there any more information in the event log that might help us to help you?

Thank Post
    how do i reset the printer spooler??

Thank Post
    As cliched as it is... Have you turned it off and on again?

We have a HP1022n and nw that just do this from time to time, unexpected reboots are good

ron

Thank Post
    To reset print spooler.....

If your on the print server go to administrative tools and select services, scroll down the list to print spooler, right click and restart.

If your not on the print sever on your computer go to administrative tools and select services, then select action from the top toolbar, connect to another computer, type in your print server and then scroll down the list to print spooler, right click and restart.

7. Thanks to ron from:

mhussain (11th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhussain View Post
    Hi i have a hp printer that is connected to the network, however all of a sudden the printer has stopped workin?
    What model number is it? We had an HP 2600n that did exactly this - just decided it would stop printing over the network one day, although it would still let us connect to its web-based interface and print config pages. We chucked it out (actually, it printed fine over USB, so one of the staff took it home and plugged it in to their PC and it worked fine) and got a second hand HP 4650 off eBay instead. You could always try connecting it to a USB print server (around £40).

--
    David Hicks

9. Thanks to dhicks from:

mhussain (11th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    What model number is it? We had an HP 2600n that did exactly this - just decided it would stop printing over the network one day, although it would still let us connect to its web-based interface and print config pages. We chucked it out (actually, it printed fine over USB, so one of the staff took it home and plugged it in to their PC and it worked fine) and got a second hand HP 4650 off eBay instead. You could always try connecting it to a USB print server (around £40).

--
    David Hicks
    hi its the 2700n one (was their no solution to fix the problerm)??? gave HP a ring but out of warrently and what me to extend the warrenty but itsnot worth extending the warrenty

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Disable bi directional support ( unticking / un checking the check box ) that I think is on the ports tab and also disabling advanced features ( think thats on the advanced tab ) and see if that helps after restarting printer spooler - also make sure the driver is the latest one from hp's website - PCL5 drivers tend to be the best for the most part but could possibly try PCL 6.

How to delete or force delete print jobs | ultimate geek girl

As for running the commands in the run box I dont think you need the quote marks ( I normally run those commands in the command prompt though but am sure it will do the same thing ( aside from the middle step of forcing the print jobs to delete as per what was above.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Disable bi directional support ( unticking / un checking the check box ) that I think is on the ports tab and also disabling advanced features ( think thats on the advanced tab ) and see if that helps after restarting printer spooler - also make sure the driver is the latest one from hp's website - PCL5 drivers tend to be the best for the most part but could possibly try PCL 6.

How to delete or force delete print jobs | ultimate geek girl

As for running the commands in the run box I dont think you need the quote marks ( I normally run those commands in the command prompt though but am sure it will do the same thing ( aside from the middle step of forcing the print jobs to delete as per what was above.
    Nope no joy so far

Thank Post
    does any one have any other ideas of what the problem could be????

Thank Post

Lightbulb

we had a similar problem at one of my schools, it automatically installed service pack 3 which reset the firewall settings. so i had to go start>control Panel> Windows Firewall> then turn it off. The firewall is usually off on my network anyway as the sever and proxy stop any attempts of entry. Give it a try!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mhussain View Post
    was their no solution to fix the problerm?
    No. The printer's IP address hadn't changed (I could access the web-based config utility on the printer itself just fine), it wan't an IP address conflict (tried turning the machine off and pinging its IP address, nothing there), it wasn't something physically wrong with the machine (I could print test and config prints from the printer itself just fine), the Windows Server 2003 print server was connecting via a standard TCP/IP port (not HP's own one, and bi-directional printing support was turned off), nothing was being blocked by the firewall (other printers, using the same outgoing port number, worked just fine) and it wasn't the driver (tried three).

Chuck it out, connect it to a USB print server or connect it to its own dedicated PC via USB if you have one spare and maybe use it as a scanning station too.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Had a similar problem earlier this week, and found that the printer's availability had somehow been changed to between 0000h and 0100h only. Never found out how, as only admin users should be able to alter that setting.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Make sure its showing online and sleep / or timeout has set to a high value ie a few hours at a least.

Also maybe see if you can do a firmware update / upgrade on the printer.

I think hp have there own scanning utility to scan the network and should show you what upgrades are available for the printers etc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast