+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Printers being assigned on RM CC3 in Technical; Hey all, We have a bit of a problem in that the printers that have been allocated to rooms aren't ...

Thank Post

Printers being assigned on RM CC3

Hey all,

We have a bit of a problem in that the printers that have been allocated to rooms aren't always being actually set, in some cases it gives people printers from other rooms, or only 1 out of the 4 allocated to the room. I've found an article in the RM Knowledgebase but that only mentions RM Station Delivery and RM Gatekeeper are installed. The packages are allocated and INSTALLED in the ini's for the station itself and appears to be on fine. Does anyone have any other suggestions for what it could be?

Thanks Guys

Rob

Thank Post

Re: Printers being assigned on RM CC3

I think the problem is your have a virus on your network called RM Connect. Remove it and printers might allocate correctly Sorry, could not resist.

Thank Post

Are these local or networked printers?

To make that clearer are they attached to a computer via USB/Paralell or a network socket?

Shared printers on a client can be a pain. Sometimes you need to log on as an administrator on each client for the new printers to be picked up. You only need to do it once

(Haven't investigated why yet as it's a maximum of 14 machines a room so it doesn't take that long for me)

The client which has the printer physically attached to it also needs to be turned on first before the clients who want access to the printer otherwise it is not allocated at startup

Can't say I've ever had the problem of the wrong printers being picked up when logging on as something other than an administrator. (As an administrator you get printers you have allocated manually yourself)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Shared printers on a client can be a pain. Sometimes you need to log on as an administrator on each client for the new printers to be picked up. You only need to do it once
    Sounds like the printer drivers aren't installed on the machines. Logging in as administrator will obviously install them when the printer gets setup.

Thank Post

Thanks for the replies,

These are all the printers, regardless of whether they're connected to the LAN through an inbuilt NIC and shared off the servers or attached to stations and shared from there.

I had a case a few weeks ago in which one student picked up the printers from the art room regardless of where he was logged on. Then it just vanished over half term :|

Anymore Thoughts?

Cheers
    Rob

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Sounds like the printer drivers aren't installed on the machines. Logging in as administrator will obviously install them when the printer gets setup.
    That was my theory but until SR4/XP SP2 it hadn't used to work like this printers seemed to allocate fine (most of the time)

Probably something got changed with a security update and it is more lapse when getting network printers installed at the server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    I think the problem is your have a virus on your network called RM Connect. Remove it and printers might allocate correctly Sorry, could not resist.
    Never had any printer problems on our 3.5 year old CC3 network... no other 3rd party software; no hacking login scripts to add printers for this, that and the other.

Have you tried restarting the print services? IIRC the following need to be stopped & started on the root server:

* Print Spooler
    * RM Print Credits Client Service
    * RM Print Credits Manager Service
    * RM Printer Wrapper Service

Also, have you checked the event log of the affected machines regarding messages for printer installations?

Thank Post

Now sadly Dave me dear, You know just as well as I do that Ron is the man who decided RM, not me

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Never had any printer problems on our 3.5 year old CC3 network... no other 3rd party software; no hacking login scripts to add printers for this, that and the other.

Have you tried restarting the print services? IIRC the following need to be stopped & started on the root server:

* Print Spooler
    * RM Print Credits Client Service
    * RM Print Credits Manager Service
    * RM Printer Wrapper Service

Also, have you checked the event log of the affected machines regarding messages for printer installations?
    The entire server has been restarted multiple times since all this has started to occur and its made no difference.

I've just checked the event logs and the only thing that mentions printers is in the Application log with RM Station Delivery being the culprit:
    Code:
    Failed to set \\MSF-SR-002.moorlandssixth.internal\C2Mono printer as default printer in function SetUpPrinterMappings, with error: The printer name is invalid.
    C2Mono IS the default printer for the 'room' but obviously it cant set it as default because the C2Mono hasnt been added by the RM Station Delivery thing :| Garrr Confusing

Rob

Thank Post

Hey mintsoft, i'm having EXACTLY the same problem you are having with random printers being assigned to certain users. It seems that it will pick up the printers that are installed on a network printer port via our forest root server, but the main offenders are the ones that are shared out through workstations locally. Sometimes you can pick up some out of a certain room, sometimes you may get some printers from the wrong room. I've got a CC3 SR5 Based network with XPSP2 on Around half and SP1 on the rest. (not got round to rebuilding them all as we have a very large site) and I've been onto RM and to be honest i think they are stumped because this has gone on for around 3 months with me basically allocating, de allocating printers cleaning up DNS records, re installing and re-sharing every printer, trying new user profiles and all sorts of things. Im just glad im not the only one with this problem , if you want to get in touch to discuss what you've tried feel free to drop me a PM and we can have a chat.

Thank Post

Question Resurrecting an old thread-has anyone had and solved this issue?

We've been having this issue sporadically, however in our case it seems to be user related. When certain users log on to computers in certain rooms they either pick up a printer which has been previously allocated to our terminal server, or no printer at all.

The only difference I can see with these users is that in the management console (but NOT in Active Directory(?)) they appear as [username]@forestdnszones.[ourdomain]etc rather than the normal [username]@[ourdomain]etc. This can't be changed from within the management console, there is a dropdown box showing our domain, domaindnszones.[ourdomain]etc, and the forestdnszones.[ourdomain]etc

Any ideas why this could be??

Any input would be much appreciated

Laura

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I've not experienced this problem, so I can only offer suggestions -

1. Update any drivers where you can at server level
    2. Try creating a new printer with a different share name (I generally keep printer name and share name the same)
    3. Stop and start the spooler service
    4. Does re-imaging machines make any difference?
    5. What printers are people with problems using? There may be a common link with a particular make/model.

Thank Post
    Have you checked that you are fully up to date with all rm updates on all servers at all?
    we don't generally have an issue with this.

Thank Post
    Hi Michael,

It is user specific on the network, following the user around the school and allocating some printers randomly to users which seem to be assigned to specific DNS subdomain, which is not mirrored in the management console -the printers are all tested and working normally with people who are on the correct dns set

Thanks anyway

Laura

Thank Post
    Have you done a health check then reset the users profile while they are not logged on to the system, that should sort it out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast