+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows update has broken it! in Technical; Hello has anyone recently applied any windows updates and then after the required reboot found that it doesnt complete its ...
    SPC
    Thank Post

Windows update has broken it!

Hello has anyone recently applied any windows updates and then after the required reboot found that it doesnt complete its boot sequence instead sits with a black screen and the mouse cursor and nothing more.

Thank Post
    Sometimes yes, but only for about a minute and only once (windows vista)

3. Thanks to Oops_my_bad from:

SPC (11th June 2009)

Thank Post
    This black screen thing was an error with explorer.exe as far as i can remember it will just sit there on a black screen for eternity. Replacing the explorer.exe has fixed the issue in the past.

5. Thanks to Fridge from:

SPC (11th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Hello has anyone recently applied any windows updates and then after the required reboot found that it doesnt complete its boot sequence instead sits with a black screen and the mouse cursor and nothing more.
    Yes I have seen this on Vista quite a few times and on each occasion it was caused by spyware. If you press ctrl+alt+del can you get Task Manager up? From the top of my head I think I resolved the problem by booting into Safemode but Vista is a bit stupid as you can't install applications (such as Malwarebytes) to remove the problem. I had to apply a registry fix so I could install software. Good one Microsoft

7. Thanks to Michael from:

SPC (11th June 2009)

SPC
    Thank Post
    Unfortunately I tried this and both Ctrl + Alt + Del and Ctrl + Shift + Esc do nothing. I tried booting in Safe mode and the same occurs black screen. Tried booting to "last known working configuration" and this went a little further, in that the Vista progress bar appeared then back to black with the mouse cursor... Hitting Shift 5 times brings up the sticky keys thing.

I think it may need a format and re-install.. bye bye C: Drive content.
    Last edited by SPC; 11th June 2009 at 10:28 AM.

SPC
    Thank Post
    Ha ha I have got in!
    I tried booting with Safe mode with Cmd line and running MSConfig and changing to a selective startup. I then stopped services and it allowed it to boot up properly. Reboot causes the same issues but at least now I can move the contents of my C: Drive to another drive. Rebuild time

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Ha ha I have got in!
    I tried booting with Safe mode with Cmd line and running MSConfig and changing to a selective startup. I then stopped services and it allowed it to boot up properly. Reboot causes the same issues but at least now I can move the contents of my C: Drive to another drive. Rebuild time
    Excuse me for bringing up an old thread, but can you remember which update caused this please? I think this may have happened to one of my servers. On Friday left the server updating as I finished work, when I tried to login remotely later the server was not there Still can't see it this morning, so there's obviously a problem which I won't be able to resolve until Monday. I'd like to have some indication of what the issue might be - shot in the dark time. Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread