+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Folder Shares in Technical; Hello All! Im currently having some trouble with Windows XP Pro folder sharing. I'm supporting the IT for a school ...

Thank Post

Folder Shares

Hello All!

Im currently having some trouble with Windows XP Pro folder sharing.

I'm supporting the IT for a school and need to share a folder on one of the teacher's commputers so that our copier can scan documents and place them in the shared folder. Now, when I share the folder on the teacher's PC whilst logged in as the admin, the folder is shared fine, but when the teacher logs in, the shared folder is no longer shared!

I've made sure she has all the correct permissions on the folder, and I've tested it with another account. Everytime I log in as an admin, the folder is shared, but every time I log in as someone without admin rights, the folder is no longer shared anymore.

Anyone have any ideas why Windows is doing this? I've never had it happen before!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Have you updated their logon script so it maps the share with a drive letter?

Code:
    net use X: /delete
    net use X: \\WORKSTATION\SHARE
    The folder should still be shared. It isn't based on a per user level, but as you say, permissions either allow or deny users access.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

tian (9th June 2009)

Thank Post

Hi Michael,

I haven't mapped the shared folder with a drive letter, is it essential to do that? As far as I remember on other user's PCs I have simply shared the folder, given the user permissions to access it and its been fine. This PC just won't have it though! I share it when I'm admin, then when I log in as a user it just unshares.
    Last edited by tian; 9th June 2009 at 11:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tian View Post
    Hi Michael,

I haven't mapped the shared folder with a drive letter, is it essential to do that? As far as I remember on other user's PCs I have simply shared the folder, given the user permissions to access it and its been fine. This PC just won't have it though! I share it when I'm admin, then when I log in as a user it just unshares.
    Does the user have permissions locally on the folder as well? As far as i understand a user has to have local rights as well as share rights on the folder. (I might be getting my wires crossed here though!!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tian View Post
    Hi Michael,

As long as the user has admin rights then you should be able to see the share, if not, folder will be there but won't be shared

7. Thanks to dtakias from:

tian (9th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi,

Yes the user has local permission on the folder. Ok so I think I've solved it for now using what Michael said. I've just mapped the drive with a letter for her and given her a custom logon script which now includes the drive mapping. She can now access the shared folder fine via the drive mapping. I wasn't aware that a non-admin user can't access shared folders without a mapping

Thanks very much!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread