+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Logon script suddenly throwing up error in Technical; I've been using a couple of logon scripts for ages without problem. Now one client is throwing up a Windows ...
    Thank Post

Logon script suddenly throwing up error

I've been using a couple of logon scripts for ages without problem. Now one client is throwing up a Windows Script Host error code 8007007B, for all users including admin. The script connects shares and printers to the clients, and I haven't changed anything in the scripts recently. Moreover, the script works fine on other machines in the Suite. Only one printer is affected, and is not connected as a result. The only fairly recent change is that the clients have been updated to SP3 (XP Prof) and the server updated to SP2, but other updated clients are unaffected. I did google the error code, but the only mentions of similar problems were in experts exchange, which I need to pay for to access the actual solution! Server is Windows 2003. I've attached a screenshot of the error message, but it's lying!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Have a look at: Code 8007007B - A filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.

also: http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/code/

As far as experts exchange is concerned when you google it make sure you open the cached version and scroll to the bottom the solution is visible to all :-)
    Last edited by ICTNUT; 1st June 2009 at 12:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Would help to see the script since the error refers to a particular line.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can you post the script please?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT View Post
    As far as experts exchange is concerned when you google it make sure you open the cached version and scroll to the bottom the solution is visible to all :-)
    If you scroll to the bottom on the bulk of non-cached pages, you can see the answers now...

You could register as an expert I think and you can just view the answers normally.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the help with getting at the solution on experts exchange (useful tip!). The suggestion that looked likeliest suggests possible connection issues, and adds to the printer script by getting the connection to try 10 times witha 2 second pause. However, my problem is only on the one machine and is not intermittent. And the printer seems to connect despite the error when logged on as administrator...

Thank Post
    OK, here are the scripts. I didn't think I needed to post these as they have been working fine for months, and they still are working fine on the rest of the (identical) clients in the IT Suite. Both of these scripts are throwing up the same error message on just this one machine (so far anyway!). These are not new scripts, and the offending line (in the IT Printing section, and ending in ColLaser) is repeated elsewhere for other machines in other locations and doesn't throw any errors either. Also I have now noticed that although the error comes up when logged in as domain admin, the printer is still available - not so for other users. The only recent change to the machines is an update to XP SP3.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    maybe on this one machine un install and re install SP3 ?

That or re image it and then put SP3 on the machine - seeing as its only one machine and not all of them

9. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Andie (3rd June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    maybe on this one machine un install and re install SP3 ?

That or re image it and then put SP3 on the machine - seeing as its only one machine and not all of them
    I think I'll give it a go tomorrow, thanks . Will let you know if it fixes it.

Thank Post

Thumbs up Fixed!

I uninstalled SP3 and just did a bit of testing, logging in as admin and other users - no scripting error now and printer available. Then I reinstalled SP3. Again, logged in as admin and other users - no scripting error and printer now available. This will be one of those little IT mysteries as to why the first install caused this problem, but it's fixed so I'm happy. Thanks!

P.S. Uh, oh. Just found another client with same problem!! Why don't users report these things???!!! Now I'm going to have to check them all.
    Last edited by Andie; 3rd June 2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Postscript added.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I uninstalled SP3 and just did a bit of testing, logging in as admin and other users - no scripting error now and printer available. Then I reinstalled SP3. Again, logged in as admin and other users - no scripting error and printer now available. This will be one of those little IT mysteries as to why the first install caused this problem, but it's fixed so I'm happy. Thanks!
    Good to hear it and not sure why its done that - maybe did not copy a few of the files over correctly or they may of gotten corrupted some how (shrugs)

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    P.S. Uh, oh. Just found another client with same problem!! Why don't users report these things???!!! Now I'm going to have to check them all.
    Because ................. that would be too easy

Thank Post

Doing it again!

Sorry for resurrecting my old post, but this has reared it's ugly head again in a different situation.

We have a set of laptops in each class now, new laptops but running XP Professional SP3. The SP3 is part of the original Windows install on these, and not an update. Been fine for a good few months.

A teacher has given me three laptops which are now unable to print to the colour laser printer (HP Colour LaserJet 2605dn). Same printer as the original posting. Booted the laptops and they are all showing the scripting error. If I log in as a pupil, the colour laser printer is not found in the printers list. If I log in as domain admin, I still get the scripting error but the printer is shown and I can print a test page fine.

The script is the same as attached higher up. It is just used to allocate the correct set of printers to the workstation at login. We have 31 desktops and 98 laptops, and, as far as I know, only these three have this issue - so the script can't be the problem.

Server is Windows Server 2003.

Other printers are fine.

I can't uninstall SP3 update, as it isn't an update. I would have to reimage the laptops. If this problem occurs on other machines, this could become a real headache.

Any ideas???

Thank Post
    can you manually map that printer by hand?
    can you ping it.. from the pc you have the problem mapping from

have you tried a basic script to test
    ------------------------------------
    Option Explicit
    Dim netPrinter, UNCpath
    UNCpath = "\\ms-lnm-server\ColLaser"
    Set netPrinter = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    netPrinter.AddWindowsPrinterConnection UNCpath
    WScript.Echo "Your printer is mapped from : " & UNCpath
    WScript.Quit
    ' End of example VBScript
    --------------------------------------------------------

or change script to use con2prt.exe

15. Thanks to Cools from:

Andie (12th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    can you manually map that printer by hand?
    can you ping it.. from the pc you have the problem mapping from

have you tried a basic script to test
    ------------------------------------
    Option Explicit
    Dim netPrinter, UNCpath
    UNCpath = "\\ms-lnm-server\ColLaser"
    Set netPrinter = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    netPrinter.AddWindowsPrinterConnection UNCpath
    WScript.Echo "Your printer is mapped from : " & UNCpath
    WScript.Quit
    ' End of example VBScript
    --------------------------------------------------------

or change script to use con2prt.exe
    The printer is there when logged in as administrator and I can print to it, even though I get the script error. The script has been running fine for all users for months and still runs fine for all the other identical laptops. It is just these three that, all of a sudden, are throwing up script errors and preventing ordinary users from connecting to the printer. I can run the test script, but I don't understand what this helps with. Sorry if I am being thick.

Thank Post
    its just to check the connection to the printer..
    as student.. some thing has changed even if you dont know what it is..
    login in as admin is pointless as it's like having a master key to the school..

the script is to just test the connection as a student on a student GPO.. its saying it cant find it... i could say theres a dns error but not knowing what its set up like..

just try it for entertainment.. i have the same argument with virgin when things dont work.. and they say "Well everyone eles is ok in the street" it does not help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast