+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows Licensing in Technical; Hi all, I've been trying to preform a software audit on our network (there appears to be very few records ...

Thank Post

Windows Licensing

Hi all,

I've been trying to preform a software audit on our network (there appears to be very few records already kept) but before I start i'd like to find out how many licenses for MS software the school have actually paid for, I want to be sure we are not doing anything illegal. Anyone have any advice about how I can do this?

I have contacted our LEA, who I thought we purchased all our licenses off... they have sent me a list, but according to this list we only have 8 win2k licenses, yet we have a suite with 15 win2k installations, let alone the rest of the classrooms (none of them came with a win2k OEM license).

I can only assume another company has been used at some point, but finding out who will be a nightmare. I have looked at all of our license documentation in the office (about 100 sheets, some several years old) but this is little help. There is a few sheets with details of an account with Microsoft (eopen.microsoft.com), I logged in and found a series of licenses but i'm unsure if those are in addition to the details I got from the LEA or there is an overlap. *Sigh* I can't wait until home time.

Has anyone been in a situation like this before when starting at a new school? How have people tackled it?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Windows Licensing

Try and find any receipts you have for new machines and see of any licences were included on there. COunt the number of OEM stickers on boxes, and if you find none of these then start to beg to your bursar for some emergency funding!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sounds a lot like my place Bat. What about OEM licences - have you included those?

Thank Post

Your finance types should be able to print off a report of all the purchases made by your cost centre - going back at least 3 years!

Will be a ball ache to find the info but...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread