+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, IE8 Problems mshtml.dll in Technical; Hello all, Whenever I browse certain websites (edugeek included) on a workstation image I recently created, I receive the following ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,266 Posts

Question IE8 Problems mshtml.dll

Hello all,

Whenever I browse certain websites (edugeek included) on a workstation image I recently created, I receive the following error in the event log:

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 8.0.6001.18702, fault address 0x00232ede.
    Whenever I try to register a DLL I receive the following error, so I believe the two are linked:

DllRegister Server entry point was not found
    I have tried running "sfc /scannow" which makes no difference. Any ideas? Thanks.

Thank Post
    Update: It appears I cannot register mshtml.dll on a working system anyway, so I presume it must be a protected Windows file?

And if I right click the IE8 icon and choose "Start Without Add-ons", IE8 still stops with the same error.
    Last edited by Michael; 25th May 2009 at 07:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Update2: Re-installing IE8 appears to have cured it. You simply run the .exe again and it removes and re-installs IE8. Nuisance, but tomorrow's another day!

Thank Post
    Another solutions to the knowledge base shame it did not register the .dll that god for add/remove lol

Thank Post
    It doesn't help when I have quite a few machines to image. It was also frustrating when google comes up with zero results when you copy/paste the error message! I'm obviously the first in the world to discover this problem

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Note: Fixes are not for IE 8 but for older versions

Internet Explorer ActiveX compatibility patch for Mshtml.dll

Error Message in Mshtml.dll While You Browse the Internet

I know you have solved the issue, but with regards to that dll there seems to be a number of other issue's so you might want to look out for these as well.
    Last edited by EduTech; 25th May 2009 at 10:04 PM.

Thank Post
    I did come across both those articles, but neither of them are applicable to IE8 I'm afraid. Same/similar error, but different browser. Thanks though, as you never know it might help someone else

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oops! sorry i did not realise mate but yeah it might help someone i'll edit that post just to point out not related to IE8

Thank Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion an application I am installing is breaking IE8 on the images I am creating, as it's happened on two sets of hardware. The Logistix XP SP3 Pack is one of the first I install, then applications afterwards.

I know for certain it's none of the plugins/accelerators, so I cannot see what else it could be?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion an application I am installing is breaking IE8 on the images I am creating, as it's happened on two sets of hardware. The Logistix XP SP3 Pack is one of the first I install, then applications afterwards.

I know for certain it's none of the plugins/accelerators, so I cannot see what else it could be?
    If you do those packages first and then install or update to ie 8 does that help at all ?

not sure if this applies or not

MS08-031: Security update for Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1

mshtml.dll Internet Explorer 8 crash - Vista Forums

according to that it is most likely one of the add ons ie java, shockwave, flash etc and as you already know about you said you disabled them but it was still the same so I still find that odd.

Thank Post
    IE8 has a useful function - right click the desktop icon and you can run it without any Add-ons. However I did also tried disabling them manually in normal mode and it made no difference.

The first link refers to IE8 Beta 1, so I would of thought that Microsoft fixed this before it went RTM!!!

I also found links to Vista regarding this issue. It's definitely related to IE8 and makes no difference what OS you're running, XP/2003/Vista/2008.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 1,016 Posts
    IE8 has a useful function - right click the desktop icon and you can run it without any Add-ons. However I did also tried disabling them manually in normal mode and it made no difference.
    Yes IE 7 is the same - although I have not used IE 8. If i have issues like that I normally un install ie until its back to version 6 and use ie fix ( requires OS disc ) and then re install IE back to version 8 ( not sure if you can just install version 8 over 6 or if you need to go from 6 --> 7 and 7--> 8 ??

The first link refers to IE8 Beta 1, so I would of thought that Microsoft fixed this before it went RTM!!!

I also found links to Vista regarding this issue. It's definitely related to IE8 and makes no difference what OS you're running, XP/2003/Vista/2008.

Was not sure about that link which I mentioned above - just came across it in my googling so thought I would throw it in there - spaghetti at the wall type approach lol - sorry

Am guessing when you un installed and re installed it obviously copied the files across correctly and IE 7 is the same with regards to not being able to re register the mshtml.dll file as they took the entry point out of the dll for registering it so am guessing they used a similiar dll for ie 8 with regards to the mshtml.dll

Normally doing a full reset / restore on ie resolves the issues half the time

Thank Post
    Yes IE 7 is the same - although I have not used IE 8. If i have issues like that I normally un install ie until its back to version 6 and use ie fix ( requires OS disc ) and then re install IE back to version 8 ( not sure if you can just install version 8 over 6 or if you need to go from 6 --> 7 and 7--> 8 ??
    You can install IE8 directly when either IE6 or IE7 are installed. To repair IE8, you simply run setup again. I used the /passive switch so it re-installed automatically.

Re-installing must re-register the dlls IE8 requires which is handy I suppose

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread