+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Best Color Laserjet? in Technical; Originally Posted by ittech From my experience photo copiers are awful at colour printing, so many driver issues and jamming. ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    From my experience photo copiers are awful at colour printing, so many driver issues and jamming. We gave up with our brand new leased Canon photocopier and went back to laser printers, they were much better in the long run.
    Thou shalt always specify the optional postscript module.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Thou shalt always specify the optional postscript module.
    Why? What's inherently better about Postscript than PCL? Can we get the same results by using Ghostscript on the print server instead of paying £800 for the Postscript module?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well you could ask HP.

HP Printers and HP Plotters - PostScript (R) / PCL Comparison - bpo00141 - HP Business Support Center

Can we get the same results by using Ghostscript on the print server instead of paying £800 for the Postscript module?
    If your ghostscript drivers for the photocopier are better than the windows PCL ones then yes. This would be a sensible solution. Although not everyone has a Linux Print Server!

4. Thanks to Geoff from:

dhicks (22nd May 2009)

Thank Post
    We've recently changed from buying HP 2600's to Brother HL4050's.
    Apart from the drum needing replacement the Brothers seem a lot more reliable to me. Have a lot of problems with the 2600's, mostly them randomly losing all network settings and reverting to DHCP

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    I dumped ours for k5400's and love them, got about 15 round school now.
    Have you got any K8600s? We did used to use Business Inkjet 2800 but they continually had paper (mis)feed problems? Just wondering what A3 paper feed experience on the k8600 is like. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    We did used to use Business Inkjet 2800 but they continually had paper (mis)feed problems?
    We got a 2800 for printing A3 but it conked out after a few months - I think a sensor in the lid broke, so it thought the lid was always open even when it was closed. This might have been simply down to rough handling (it used to sit on the desk in the front office), so these printers might simply be a bit on the delicate side.

Just wondering what A3 paper feed experience on the k8600 is like.
    I have one of these with a continuous ink system fitted, I use it to print full-page borderless A3 and A4 photos. Oddly, A3 is fine, with the paper being easy to simply slide in the printer. A4 paper, however, has to be lined up slighty to the left of where you'd think it would go, which is fiddly. I've also recently found the paper pick-up rollers are starting to get clogged (I think it's china clay or silica from the photo paper) and not pick up paper. This can be fixed by applying WD40 to the paper pick-up rollers, but I'd prefer a printer that just worked properly.

--
    David Hicks

8. Thanks to dhicks from:

meastaugh1 (22nd May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Well you could ask HP.
    Thanks for the link. I didn't know PCL was an HP invention. I still have no idea why colour reproduction would be "better" with Postscript than with PCL, though. Do I need to do something more involved than print a test page from the printer, send it off to a lab to be examined with a coloromiter and get an ICC profile sent back, apply that ICC profile to the printer via the "colour management" tab on the printer's "properties" dialog, then calibrate some monitors with a Pantone Huey or similar? Surely that should make sure that the colours we see on screen are the same that come out of the printer, or am I missing some part of the problem?

If your ghostscript drivers for the photocopier are better than the windows PCL ones then yes.
    I wasn't planning to use Ghostscript as a driver as such, I was simply going to have it installed on the Server 2003 machine ready to interpret Postscript coming from any redirected ports and print it to the appropriate Windows printer, i.e. I was going to use Ghostscript to provide a generic postscript printer as a front-end to any printers we need to print to from something that can only print to Postscript printers (stuff running on Linux machines). I'm not planning to have a Linux-based print server, or at least if we do then all it will be doing is taking Postscript files and passing them to the Windows server to be printed.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    We've recently changed from buying HP 2600's to Brother HL4050's.
    A vote for the brother's here. Apart from the sometimes shortage of toners - they have been really reliable printers.

(well, we dont have that particular model - but we do have quite a few Brother printers stacked around that never give us any grief!).

The best color laserjets WERE the Tally Genicoms but sadly their out of business now

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12