+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Powerpoint - Save As -> Network folder - Ice age! in Technical; Arrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh! *deep breath*... Arrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *sob* Right... as you can probably guess I've been fighting this f[beep]ing think most of today, ...
    Thank Post

Powerpoint - Save As -> Network folder - Ice age!

Arrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh! *deep breath*... Arrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *sob*

Right... as you can probably guess I've been fighting this f[beep]ing think most of today, read all the threads I can and still gotten absolutely, erm... yes, nowhere!

The scenario is one that's cropped up before with Powerpoint not saving to network shares properly even though they are mapped normally and to my knowledge have worked fine throughout. Usually the big freeze happens when saving as, although occassionally when hitting save too.

The share in question is set to EVERYONE Full control and then the NTFS permissions are tied down according to the usergroups... I've used the trick posted about giving the root share list folders permissions for Auth users.. I've reset the permissions and double checked AD security group membership... I've tried sacrificing a small child to the computer gods... Ok, so maybe not the last but it was sure tempting!

In short I'm certainly out of ideas...

Once again, in the immortal words of Penelope Pitstop... Heeeeeyulllllpp!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    What version of PowerPoint and OS are you using?

Thank Post
    Is it freezing? Are you using sophos?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    What version of PowerPoint and OS are you using?
    Powerpoint is from Office 2000 SP3
    OS is WinXP SP3

... and Avast is the antivirus so Sophos hasn't got a look in...

The error is ID 1002 and is the usual hungapp one with nothing further of use.

Interestingly it does seem to actually write the file but never recovers and all the indications are that explorer is causing the crash but damned if I can find where/how.

Thank Post
    Download the Office 2000 ORK tools on your server. Add PPOINT9.ADM, then enable the following policy:

User Config > Admin Templates > Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 > Tools | Options > Save

Default file location - Enabled

So if you map My Documents as H:\ for example, enter H:\ then apply changes. You can also do this for Word 2000 and Excel 2000.

Thank Post
    Download the Office 2000 ORK tools on your server. Add PPOINT9.ADM, then enable the following policy:

User Config > Admin Templates > Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 > Tools | Options > Save

So if you map My Documents as H:\ for example, enter H:\ then apply changes. You can also do this for Word 2000 and Excel 2000.
    Is there a toolkit for later versions of Office? We have this problem, I thought it was just that the machine had too much to remember as the pupil hadn't saved as they went along. (We use Office 2003 with XP SP3.)

Thank Post
    Click the above link and you'll see there are indeed a set of ORK Tools for every version of Office You can also run combinations of ORK Tools versions, if you use multiple versions of Office in your network.

8. Thanks to Michael from:

leco (19th May 2009)

Thank Post

Thanks Michael, I'll give that a go but I'm not too sure of the logic behind this solving the problem as the H: drive and other mapped drive are available in explorer. All users see the usual "Save as" dialogue, set the filename and then click save only to have the saving status bar hang anywhere from 4/5ths to 100% of the way.

I'll report back when I get a chance to test this out.

Thank Post
    Click the above link and you'll see there are indeed a set of ORK Tools for every version of Office You can also run combinations of ORK Tools versions, if you use multiple versions of Office in your network.
    Brilliant, thanks Michael, as contink, I'll give it a go.

Thank Post
    Thanks Michael, I'll give that a go but I'm not too sure of the logic behind this solving the problem as the H: drive and other mapped drive are available in explorer. All users see the usual "Save as" dialogue, set the filename and then click save only to have the saving status bar hang anywhere from 4/5ths to 100% of the way.

I'll report back when I get a chance to test this out.
    The thinking behind it is PowerPoint is pausing/hanging for whatever reason, but specifying the correct path using a GPO may solve the problem so PowerPoint doesn't have to search for anything. It just knows the default save directory is H:\

12. Thanks to Michael from:

contink (19th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    The share in question is set to EVERYONE Full control and then the NTFS permissions are tied down according to the usergroups... I've used the trick posted about giving the root share list folders permissions for Auth users
    List on all the folders from the root of the share to the one they are saving in?

14. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

contink (19th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    List on all the folders from the root of the share to the one they are saving in?
    Hmm... ok... that's worth a shot too... Thanks.

@ Michael: Thanks for the rational behind your suggestion...

Thank Post
    After thinking this issue was resolved, I've discovered nobody has actually bothered to inform me it's still an issue but I've now got a bit more diagnostics that may help.

Ok... if I attempt to do a "save as" on two out of the three machine types we have here, then explorer seems to hang with Powerpoint as the file is attempting to save.

However, I have one other type of computer here that has no problems at all..

Further to that we have a K5400dtn here with version 8.0.3 drivers setup which supposedly deal with a powerpoint issue but I think that might be a red herring.

My guess is that my RIS install is slightly borked with one or more of the WinUpdate packs that were put in with RyanVM and Nlite.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    How big is this PowerPoint, contink? Issues with slowness here are usually connected to every picture being a 2 Meg jpeg... and they've used LOTS!

Teaching staff to select the picture, click on the "compress pictures" button on the Picture toolbar, Select the "All pictures in document" radar button and then click on [OK] seems to resolve this particular version.... until the next time they do a PowerPoint!

After thinking this issue was resolved, I've discovered nobody has actually bothered to inform me it's still an issue...
    You've let that Crystal Ball license lapse again, haven't you!

Last edited by elsiegee40; 15th June 2009 at 03:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    How big is this PowerPoint, contink? Issues with slowness here are usually connected to every picture being a 2 Meg jpeg... and they've used LOTS!

Teaching staff to select the picture, click on the "compress pictures" button on the Picture toolbar, Select the "All pictures in document" radar button and then click on [OK] seems to resolve this particular version.... until the next time they do a PowerPoint!
    8Kb ? .... So, yeah I had considered that but it's just not playing ball on anything... We just get freeze and nothing further.

You've let that Crystal Ball license lapse again, haven't you!

You know... I thought the Mystic Marvel routine was going quite well but yeah, I think I've been oughted as a fraud in the mind reader department.. Somehow the teaching staff still believe though...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread