+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Video Editing Software in Technical; Do any of you use any video editing software in schools? I am wondering because we are lacking the mp4 ...
    Thank Post

Video Editing Software

Do any of you use any video editing software in schools? I am wondering because we are lacking the mp4 codecs to use the flipcams and a couple of teachers are looking to use them in lessons soon. We currently use XP Movie Maker which is just horrendous loading a movie bigger than 10mb makes the computers crawl!!

I am only aware of the Pinnacle software as its all ive used at home, does anyone have any recomendations on software? (Or no software as the case may be I have mentioned the ffdShow codecs here before and I dont think anyone is keen on the "grey area" that surrounds the legalities of using them )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Do any of you use any video editing software in schools? I am wondering because we are lacking the mp4 codecs to use the flipcams and a couple of teachers are looking to use them in lessons soon. We currently use XP Movie Maker which is just horrendous loading a movie bigger than 10mb makes the computers crawl!!

I am only aware of the Pinnacle software as its all ive used at home, does anyone have any recomendations on software? (Or no software as the case may be I have mentioned the ffdShow codecs here before and I dont think anyone is keen on the "grey area" that surrounds the legalities of using them )
    We had a nightmare with Sony cams, this might be unrelated but we switched to Premier Elements 7, works like a charm for everything we throw at it!

sorry if that doesn't help.

Tony

Thank Post
    Premiere opens most things...

The PureDigital site implies that you can use the software that comes with the camera's to convert the video's from MPEG-4/AVI to WMV/MOV.

We've got some JVC camera's which originally we had to use the Cyberlink software to convert the video's to another format before we could use them outside the CyberLink software. But we wroked out after a while we could batch rename the files to something else and it worked

BJG
    Thank Post
    I've seen recommendations here for Premiere Elements and Serif MoviePlus, and I've been planning to ditch the ghastly Movie Maker for one of those. I'll be interested in other comments on this.

Thank Post
    Ah thats cool, does it import most video formats? We are just looking really to increase the number of formats we support here, at the moment we are converting files for students because we only really have mpg and wmv support (the basic with XP).

Thank Post
    sorry about that post, i posted it after all the comments of what it opens!! What machines are you all running these programs on? Ours are severely lacking in power, 2.6ghz celerons w 1gb ram. I know its not much but they are the newest ones we have at the moment!

Thank Post
    Our media students use Premiere Pro CS3 and Encore for burning. Premiere Elements will do most things though.

Thank Post
    We've ran Premiere Pro CS3 on laptops with 1.6 celeron's + 512mb RAM for the most part for staff and they haven't complained too much, in the process of bumping them all up to 1gb RAM and that seems to cut through stuff pretty well.

It probably more depends on what you're going to do with the project, we've had project's that iMac's have struggled with in the past, handily they're not that common.

Thank Post
    Serif Movie Plus X3 will load MP4. If you phone them up they might give you a free evaluation copy.

Thank Post
    Movie plus 4 here ... we got an eval copy ...... Love the program .. have even been playing with multi camera work !!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BJG View Post
    I've seen recommendations here for Premiere Elements and Serif MoviePlus, and I've been planning to ditch the ghastly Movie Maker for one of those.
    I think we're planning to go for the Serif suite, with MoviePlus and other stuff. That'll then give us another alternative to Adobe CS3 / GIMP / Inkscape and so on for graphics tasks. We've tried Premier Elements 7 on at least three different machines but the darned thing keeps crashing so we'll give that a miss.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    We've been using Sony Vegas Video as we had some sony camera's which were being problematic. We have found it to be comprehensive but on occasions you need to think a bit to get the best out of it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Serif Movie Plus X3 will load MP4. If you phone them up they might give you a free evaluation copy.
    They will send you an eval copy, which they will follow up with weekly sales calls and only stop when you get quite blunt with them!

We use Windows Movie Maker for the basic stuff, and Premier Elements for the more "fancy" stuff or where we need some output other than wmv files. We have PE3 in school, although from home I know that PE4 has a "publish to youtube" function which could be useful (filters permitting, of course). We tried Pinnacle 8, 9 and 10 but couldn't get any of them to work satisfactorily (possibly a CC3/permissions issue, as they ran fine for the admin user who installed them?) which is when we went for PE, and haven't looked back since.

We did have some funny codec issues recently, following our move to a HDD camera, but found that installing VLC Media Player addressed those.

Thank Post
    We have a CC3 network here too, did you get premier elements from them? I have heard of some Adobe products being slightly annoying to install, is this true? I can only see the bundle with photoshop elements at this moment on the RM site, but I've only just started looking!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Well I use Windows Movie Maker !!
    Simple, does what I want - Trim, Split, Create Clips, simple edits - not complicated.
    Keeps in with my philosophy of Keep It Simple.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast