+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, SQL Server in Technical; On my AV server i have kaspersky installed and this installs sql server 2005. In the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG ...
    Thank Post

SQL Server

On my AV server i have kaspersky installed and this installs sql server 2005. In the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG folder there is 28gb of log files!!!! I do not need these log files as some of them data back 3/4 months! Can i just delete them or will it have a funny fit??

File names are SQLDUMP0001.log, SQLDUMP0001.mdmp, SQLDUMP0001.txt and it goes up to SQLDUMP1000!! There are then SQLDMPR0001.log/.mdmp/.txt up to 4500!!

There is then one file called SQLDUMP10000.txt that is 3gb!! notepad wont open it as its to big

Reason behing wanting to delete them is the server is a virtual server and the hdd is only 30gb and i cant find a way of increasing it. VMWARE Server (free one)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not 100% sure about the logs but I would do a dismount/remount + backup of the db using the SQL 2005 managment studio express thing then after stopping the db move the logs away. Restart the DB and it should be all fine as the dismount should have committed all operations and the backup should be good.

To expand a virtual disk you just need to do this:
    How To Expand An Exisiting Virtual Disk In VMWare Server

Then use diskpart while in the virtual windows install to expand the NTFS partition inside the larger virtual disk:
    How to extend a data volume in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows 2000, and in Windows Server 2008
    You may need to turn the page file off temporarily to do this if the data is on the system partition. Also if you just use the "extend" command in the above example it will extend to use all possible space

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Aurora77 (18th May 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread