+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, AD Client log in Technical; Hi, I'm in the process of rebuilding 48 XP laptops (almost done ). However, I didn't remove the laptops from ...
    Thank Post

AD Client log

Hi, I'm in the process of rebuilding 48 XP laptops (almost done ). However, I didn't remove the laptops from AD before reimaging them. Thus I have a lot of extra computers listed in my AD 'laptop' group.

Is there an easy way to find out which are the new ones that have been added, and so then remove the older, unnecessary ones? Unfortunately I have already moved all the laptops into the 'laptop' AD group. Something like a 'sort by date added' would be nice, but don't think it'll be there...

Still on Win2k too...

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It's a good question and as far as I know there is no such feature, even in 2003 Server.

The only idea I came up with is maybe your laptops were running XP SP2 and maybe now XP SP3? If this is the case, right click a computer object, choose 'Properties', then choose the 'Operating System' tab. This displays the OS and Service Pack version.

For future reference (as a recommendation) always give your machines new names. It solves problems like these. So if named them Workstation01, name the new image Workstation001 (for example)

3. Thanks to Michael from:

rocknrollstar (17th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Awesome, thanks Michael. As usual, you've helped me out again! Yep, the new images are SP3, so your idea will certainly work.

The laptops do have new names, but I used sys prep and the names are based on the domain name with random characters afterwards. Can you control the name that is given to laptop using sysprep, or is this a manual step when using mini-setup?

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    This is why I never 100% automate Sysprep. You can provide a list of names for Sysprep to use (in a notepad file), which is OK for laptops in a trolley which'll get mixed up anyway, but in a classroom with desktops I like the machines I manage to be in numerical order. It makes sense if you think about it from a managerial point of view

6. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Good advice- thanks Michael

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    The laptops do have new names, but I used sys prep and the names are based on the domain name with random characters afterwards. Can you control the name that is given to laptop using sysprep, or is this a manual step when using mini-setup?
    Either miss the field out of your answer file, and you'll be prompted for it during mini-setup (but everything else will be automated), or use WDS and pre-stage your computers in Active Directory, and if your answer file is set up properly the AD name will be used automatically.

9. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    I have used Managengine AD Manager Plus for this purpose. It will give you a list of all machines and when they were last used. Also gives details about usernames etc and last use. This helped me clean out my AD of old records. It is available Free for controlling less than 100 items. It is also available as a trial for 30 days (fully functional).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread