+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Understanding host and lmhosts file in Technical; Hello, I will admit to you that I am a tech guy that was thrown into network administration and have ...

Thank Post

Understanding host and lmhosts file

Hello,

I will admit to you that I am a tech guy that was thrown into network administration and have been learning as I go. One thing I observed and learned was that I could increase the speed of my computers log in to the domain was to edit the host files. What I dont completely understand is why. I know it can speed up things while web browsing by preventing DNS look up. I also know that I can use it to filter websites.

However why does this speed up log in times so dramatically. I mean we are talking login times going from 7 minutes to under 1 minute. Can someone explain why?

Thank Post
    if login is taking that long and host file manipulation is the answer then you have a DNS problem. You are either incorrectly configuring your clients to look at the appropriate dns server or the dns server itself has failed/is failing, or further still your dns might be operational but with incorrect AD information in it.

As its role in the process the host file is the first point of call to check for name resolution for fqdn or non netBios names. Therefore if this file has the correct "answer" no other forms of name resolution are required and therefore a faster response. Whilst i havent actually tested the results i would suggest the time difference between host name resolution and dns server resolution in human-time would be marginal. If its not then check above DNS issues or if not again then check network congestion.

HTH mate. More Questions just ask.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    However why does this speed up log in times so dramatically. I mean we are talking login times going from 7 minutes to under 1 minute. Can someone explain why?
    Windows 2000/XP clients to a 2003 server by any chance? We had a similar problem on a few machines here till I realised what I'd done. Make sure the primary DNS of the workstation points to the PDC - I set ours to our filter/router/DNS box before and ground everything to a halt.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread